XJ6 - average MPG?

cupcake1973
This post is 3655 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just wondering what mileage other XJ6 owners get out of their bikes on a full tank - be it city, motorway or mixed riding?

I've not had my bike long and had the experience of the digital dash and its low fuel warning the other day. It confused the hell out of me at the time - but have since read the manual so now I get it. :icon_rolleyes:

Although I've not quite worked out how many miles I have left once the fuel warning starts to flash.

Can anyone tell me roughly what they get once the warning starts to flash? Or what's the most miles they'd travel once it comes on?

When did modern motorbikes become so sophisticated? What happened to the days of 'counting' the miles and giving the tank a shake to guess how much fuel you had left? lol. Even my old Harley tractor had a fuel warning light :eusa_shifty:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Nothing to stop you giving the bike a wiggle to see how much fuel you have, but I usually reckon on about 20 odd miles when on reserve, but mine is a very old 750 and I get around 60+ to the gallon whereas you get 39/40 cos it's a revvy bike, someone will no doubt prove me wrong but when in doubt fill it up! As to sophisticated my first Honda had an electric start :hah: Yippee!! and was straight out of star trek so when my bike goes wrong now (electrics/ignition) I know when I'm beat and ask someone else to sort it, to old to be arsed to fix it and if I can't hit it with a hammer then it's to technical. :jossun:

If you still have the receipt from when you filled up (after the fuel light came on), it'll indicate how many litres you put in it. Compare that against the fuel capacity of your XJ and it'll give you an indication of how eager (or not so) the fuel light is to come on.

I'm sure you already do, but resetting the trip meter after filling up will help gauge.

I don't have a low fuel light, but do have a fuel gauge and went into panic stations the first time it got in the red - but my mind was put at ease after looking in the tank. Where possible though I don't let it get more than 3/4 empty before filling - then I never have to worry!

I still have the receipt, but this is the first full refuel since 'empty' as it had quite a bit in the tank when I got it. Now I just need to run it down to warning again and then I can see how many miles I'm getting. Hopefully then I'll be able to work out how many miles of panicking I have to find a petrol station once the warning comes on :eusa_shifty:

I did read somewhere that these aren't the most economical of machines - as Mr Slice above mentioned with the revvy engine. The husband is enjoying being all smug with his old man's boring economical Honda CBF1000 :icon_mrgreen:

Was just wondering what other people's experience was :)

I ride a 13-year old bike with basic twin carbs, no fuel injection and just a trip meter to guess the fuel by.

I average 48 mpg, or slightly more if I change up earlier... but I do sometimes ride like a loony.

Don't know the answer but on the SV the low fuel light flashes with about 30 miles left and then stays on with about 10 miles left. Averages about 60 to the gallon but only has 2 cylinders.

Both of my XJ6s got 45-55mpg. With 70mpg @ 70mph on the motorway [did dover to bristol on one tank].

Found this old post on the forum which may help you out a little:

And then this from the Fuelly website which gives some stats from various users: http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/yamaha/xj6n - absolutely no idea how accurate this is.

I tend to go by what circumstances I'm riding the bike in, I have no fuel gauge.

In this very severe winter weather we are having at the moment I have to warm the bike up for five minutes, ride six miles to work then let the engine warm up to get rid of the mayo. Then re-fuel every eighty miles.

In the summer I can just start the bike, jump on it and ride to work and more or less switch off when I get there, therefore I have only to re-fuel every one hundred miles.

BUT.

If I go out on a long run, say on the motorway on a hundred mile round journey, when I fill up I am surprised how little it takes to fill up. then it averages at about seventy miles to the gallon.

This is on my old trusted 13 year old XJ600 divvy

• 1 month later...

Ive done 20 miles on (flashing) reserve on my XJ6, at that point I was taking it easy and don't know how much more was in there.

If I try real hard and keep to legal speeds, accelerate smoothly, best behaviour etc, I can get 170 on a tank (only managed it once lol)

But usually more like 140 ish.

Ive done 20 miles on (flashing) reserve on my XJ6, at that point I was taking it easy and don't know how much more was in there.

If I try real hard and keep to legal speeds, accelerate smoothly, best behaviour etc, I can get 170 on a tank (only managed it once lol)

But usually more like 140 ish.

Yeh I've noticed that on a run out (e.g. day trip to the coast) that's not all stop-start like commuting, then I can squeeze 170 miles from a tank. Commuting seems to be about 145-155, that's 30 miles a day mixed motorway and lots of traffic lights. Still not quite managed to work out how many miles reserve gets me. I'll work it out one day!

It seems like any major trip involves two or three visits to a garage whereas with a car that isn't something that figures particularly, a tad irritating what with having to take your helmet off now and the generally inconvenience of keeping a close eye on fuel - having scared myself a few times (particularly in mid wales where the filling stations seem to close at 5.00 pm) I bought a 1 litre flask that has a clip fitting so it can be attached to the bike but I've never actually got round to taking it with me yet, note to self - must find where i put that item.

Mines the older model so no fuel gauge just the reserve tap (which takes a while to operate) so I call for fuel within 140 miles very maximum, my (even older) xj600 pre diversion has a fuel gauge and a bigger tank so that's better for longer runs although it's being repaired right now, quite expensive keeping an old bike tip top.

Not sure if this will help. i ran a test with the first fill up on my new XJ6N. From fill up to flashing reserve I got around 115 miles but that was mostly stop start town riding. As soon as it started flashing I got around another 2 miles before filling up. I know there still quite a bit in the tank when the flashing reserve tank came on though. I just tend to fill up when she flashes. I've since reset the trip counter and will have another reading when the tank needs filling again.

I'm still breaking in the engine so I'm keeping an eye on the fuel mpg.

Also comparing to the Firestorm I am selling. Around town its given me an extra 45 miles out of the tank or so. So I'm already saving money (at least thats what I am telling the wife.)

Similar experience running in an XJ6N. 1st full tank went for 161 miles and refilled with 13.1 litres. That makes around 55.8mpg. My old Bandit 600 was similar and would routinely die on to reserve at 170. Not sure how much the tight new engine mitigated by light throttle use makes a difference. Will keep a check. Actually say I'll keep a check, but probably get bored keeping note and from now on just ride the thing :spin2:

• Like 1

Similar experience running in an XJ6N. 1st full tank went for 161 miles and refilled with 13.1 litres. That makes around 55.8mpg. My old Bandit 600 was similar and would routinely die on to reserve at 170. Not sure how much the tight new engine mitigated by light throttle use makes a difference. Will keep a check. Actually say I'll keep a check, but probably get bored keeping note and from now on just ride the thing :spin2:

Bare in mind the XJ6 tank is a couple of litres smaller than most bandit tanks; iirc my XJ6 would do more than 35miles with a flashy fuel indicator with moderate riding.