81 DT175 Resto-mod

This post is 4008 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I wanted to share my work in progress DT175. I have done quite a bit myself and help of my dad. I picked it up for $150 in bad shape.

So far I've chaged:

New handlebars

Removed fenders

New tires

Air filter

Installed headlight and taillight

Changed seat - I made the seat pan out of a street sign I found. I sewed the vinyl myself with carpet padding. It doesn't look bad from afar but not great close so I'll probably try again.

Removed broken rpm gauge

I took it to a shop to clean the carb and change oil

ps - please avoid Big Daddy's Automotive in Fayetteville, Ga. Not sure if he doesn't know what he is doing or doesn't care. I got the bike back after a few weeks and still have problems so I am going to fix myself.

What I want to do:

New fenders

Paint tank

New gauges

powder coat wheels

New mirrors

Headlight fairing - maybe cafe type fairing

Lengthen kick stand - leans way to far over

Maybe change foot pegs - I have a set of harley mounts and pegs that I am debating

Tell me what you guys think. Any suggestions or tips

Before

imagejpeg_2.jpg

Now

106_2072.jpg

106_2071.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Looks mean " :yeah: ,, when leanthening the stand, use a bit pipe. cut and slide it inside, it will be stronger than a butt weld.. :smash:

Today I fixed the carb. The throttle was stuck open. In the process I realized the petcock wouldn't shutoff and was flooding the carb. I am now looking at fuel valves.

Also has anyone install the external fuel gauge on their bikes? What does everyone use as a fuel gauge?

Looks Nice 'n Light now :thumb: .....

UFO or Maier, more than likey make some decent aftermarket plastic for it. http://www.maier-mfg.com ;)

Thank you. I will check them out.

Looks mean " :yeah: ,, when leanthening the stand, use a bit pipe. cut and slide it inside, it will be stronger than a butt weld.. :smash:

Thanks. I was planning on using a butt weld. I will try this method instead.