Lasted about a week

Grouch
This post is 4011 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

On my way home from work my throttle cable has snapped ffs. Not a biggy but a massive inconvenience. Don't worry I'm going to replace it myself.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it wasn't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all. :(

Sorry to hear that! But it should be a piece of cake. You'll have it sorted in no time.

You need to start up a blog Grouch, at the rate you're going I could see an independent film company picking up your story. The turbulent life of a Yorkshireman and his 125... :spin2:

But in all seriousness - at least this is a simple one in comparison...

O well grouch, just another one to add to the list of things to go wrong lol I think your bike is just trying to give you a NVQ in Mechanics :biglaugha:

Easy fix tho, just need to drain petrol, remove tank and seat and you should be good to go.

O well grouch, just another one to add to the list of things to go wrong lol I think your bike is just trying to give you a NVQ in Mechanics :biglaugha:

Easy fix tho, just need to drain petrol, remove tank and seat and you should be good to go.

WHAT??? You better be winding me up! I've just filled the tank up and I'm not fucking about with it!

you need to remove the tank to route the cable and to fix it to the carb...

if you are feeling brave you could leave the tank full and rest it on a bucket incase of leakage of fuel. have done it this way before, but it is best to drain it.

then again looking at your bike you may be able to remove the side panels and feed the new cable to the carb end and install it, will be tight to get hands in there but may be do able.

and its always best to feed to the carb and then hook carb end up before doing throttle end.

Grouch it might be possible to tie a bit of string/wire to the end of the old cable and pull it through so you can then reverse the process to put the new cable in, bit fiddly but doable if you have the patience! Otherwise the fall back position would be "Go to garage, give nice man MORE of your money and then go home and sulk!!" :eusa_doh:

Grouch it might be possible to tie a bit of string/wire to the end of the old cable and pull it through so you can then reverse the process to put the new cable in, bit fiddly but doable if you have the patience! Otherwise the fall back position would be "Go to garage, give nice man MORE of your money and then go home and sulk!!" :eusa_doh:

No effin way! I have just ordered a replacement and I am doing it myself. I have consulted my manual and it has no mention of tank removal. I have to remove the seat that's it I think. I had planned on attempting your idea Slice.

Hopefully the job will go smoothly.

So how much did it cost you this time?

disconnect the original cable, tape one end of the new cable to the end of the old cable and gently pull it through, as the old cable is pulled out it should pull the new cable in, i have no idea if it would work in practice but its worth a try...

... just a thought, i have brilliant ideas when im hungover

how come you cant remove a tank with fuel in it then ? it's just a little heavier!

I can but it would be a ball ache, I'd probably drain it first as well.

nah would ya fuck, turn the tap to the off position (if its vac operated then dont bother, the fuel line wont be open unless the engine is trying to draw fuel), and disconnect the fuel feed pipe from the tap to the carb, if it weeps a little bit just stick something up the end of the pipe.

tanks off, seat will be a couple of bolts, cheers easy (Y), if you fancy a trip to the 'shire im here for the next 2 weeks with my thumb up my ass, bring it over

Thank you for the mind picture of you sitting on your thumb Foamy, got to go and scrub my brain mow to remove THAT picture!! :jossun::biglaugha:

Thank you for the mind picture of you sitting on your thumb Foamy, got to go and scrub my brain mow to remove THAT picture!! :jossun::biglaugha:

Here y'go Slice, just remember to put the lid back on when you're finished.

mindbleach.jpg

Thanks KP I just might go and buy some, there are mind pictures that just will NOT go away!! :crylaugh:

My cable has come, I'm going to fit it tomorrow. I hope it goes smoothly. I'm going to attempt the tie it at the bottom method.