Ethanol fuel side effects.

slice
This post is 4019 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have just been reading about ETHANOL fuel additives and the fact that we will soon have 10% instead of 5% in the UK, what seems to be the main consensus to all of this is that most old bikes (10 years old and older) will have some problems with this new fuel, my bike is 30+ years old and will need some major fettling to get used to this nasty gunk. First seems to be any bike with a fibre glass tank must use some of the new tank sealer now available, some of you might have already sealed your tank but if you have used anything from the last 5 years it will not protect your tank with this new stuff as it eats away even some older tank sealant then starts on the tank itself delaminating the glass fibre leaving a nasty gooey mess that will block your fuel lines and jets, also the usual fuel lines them-selves will need to be replaced as the older rubber type will not be immune to damage so new ethanol resistant pipe work will need to be fitted, also you will need to change your fuel tap/petcock as they themselves will be damaged due to their rubber seals and such so replacing them with ethanol proof fuel taps will become necessary. You will HAVE to avoid leaving any of this fuel in your tank (METAL) if (like me) you don't use it in the winter cos of a thing called ETHANOL/WATER PHASE which is where ethanol is soluble in water so if left it separates out and leaves the tank to be attacked by neat water (at the top of the tank) which will then cause your tank to rust from the inside and then you will also have the problem of running on neat ethanol which flows to the bottom of the tank when left, over winter. http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/news/22231/Ethanol_-_Part_Two:_The_Remedies SEE THIS SITE for detailed analysis

I hope some of you will read this cos it seems that once again the do-gooders and green freaks have screwed us over as there seems little to be gained by using this stuff instead of NORMAL petrol. Perhaps if you know different then you will be kind enough to add your own thoughts to this but just for now it seems I will have to give my fuel system a major going over (at my cost) so instead of doing another bike this winter it will be rebuilding my carbs and fuel system (BUGGER!) :madflame:

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Yes that's true but if you can only fill up at total stations then that alone limits some of the places you can go, I have no idea where my local Total stations are but suppose there are none what then? You are almost certain to need filling up at some other station eventually and then your problems will start. So it's not enough to say use only Total cos if you try that your almost bound to come a cropper. Doe's anyone know of an additive that can stop this problem? Just looked up my nearest station and it's 12 miles away fer f++ks sake!! after that it's nearly 25 miles, not really much use is it? :crazy:

just buy super unleaded at any petrol station as there is no ethanol in high octane fuel --- YET ---

Yes that's true but if you can only fill up at total stations then that alone limits some of the places you can go, I have no idea where my local Total stations are but suppose there are none what then? You are almost certain to need filling up at some other station eventually and then your problems will start. So it's not enough to say use only Total cos if you try that your almost bound to come a cropper. Doe's anyone know of an additive that can stop this problem? Just looked up my nearest station and it's 12 miles away fer f++ks sake!! after that it's nearly 25 miles, not really much use is it? :crazy:

My my, I'm so sorry that there are no Total stations in your vicinity. I was only trying to point a direction out to you to save constantly purchasing expensive additives. Had you used the search function for the previous threads, you would also have come across the fact that super unleadeds do not yet contain ethanol, as benny has confirmed.

Thanks benny that makes sense but I did not know that the higher octane was without additives so one problem cured.

NEVERSAYDIE a bit sarky really as I did not see your previous post so was not aware that you had already described this problem, as to where the total stations are. Still not looked at your post so not sure what you described but I thought that it was of interest that there will soon be 10% ethanol in fuel and the likelihood that in future it will grow so anyone with an old bike needs to be aware that the problems are approaching rapidly and need to be addressed now and not some time in the future. Not interested now and will sort my own bike out. thanks for your input though as I'm now aware that others have discovered this and even commented on it. :eusa_whistle:

The bigger issue is being missed here. Ethanol has an acidic water content and is corrosive to brass and some rubber and plastics.

The bigger concern especially for smaller high specific output bikes like our 125s etc is that in combustion ethanol releases oxygen.

This means your mixture goes to shi.. And you will run lean by worst case 10per cent. That can hole pistons.

Proper mine field.

The bigger issue is being missed here. Ethanol has an acidic water content and is corrosive to brass and some rubber and plastics.

The bigger concern especially for smaller high specific output bikes like our 125s etc is that in combustion ethanol releases oxygen.

This means your mixture goes to shi.. And you will run lean by worst case 10per cent. That can hole pistons.

Proper mine field.

Not half.

The problems extend to petrol stations too, as many have had to replace their rotting tanks, some have simply shut, and according to a very good article in last months CMM, the states is experiencing a rush of lawsuits citing alleged damage as a result of E10 fuel usage. Not only is it absorbing water in your tank, its in the gas staions tanks too

I just hope that there continues to be a sufficiently large market for ethnaol free fuel in the UK for the suppliers to be encouraged to continue to supply it, as they do currently with super unleadeds. Sadly, it may end up as a niche market with a premium price.

i only became aware of this problem recently when i asked about unleaded fuel in my old bike and the more you look in to it the worse it gets, its good that more people are now getting informed about this problem and by discussing it you have probably saved a few bikers a lot of hassle and money. hope your thread gets lots of views the more people who see it the better thanks to everyone who answered my questions when i needed help

Tommy, I only spotted this article by chance and thought that it might highlight a problem I was unaware of, seems that NEVERSAYDIE has already addressed it earlier but I must have missed it, might be worth a look. thanks for your comments as it's nice that folks can get some good out of all this interweb stuff! :jossun:

Tommy, I only spotted this article by chance and thought that it might highlight a problem I was unaware of, seems that NEVERSAYDIE has already addressed it earlier but I must have missed it, might be worth a look. thanks for your comments as it's nice that folks can get some good out of all this interweb stuff! :jossun:

slice i will look it too the more on it the better co's as you say its easy miss a thread

I can't see previous threads on my phone. I have a 19 yr old SR125. How worried do I need to be??

as Slice said any bike older than ten years old could be effected, i'm just using the higher octane premium grade unleaded, the consensus seems to be that its ethanol free FOR NOW you should be o.k i'm also going to change my fuel line co's its easy & cheap to do & you have to start somewhere.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online