putting a regulator on a 74 dt 360

freebrd1975
This post is 4024 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i have purchased a regulator for this bike. is there anybody that has hooked a regulator up on a bike that doesnt have one, . and this one didn't. i thought about hooking it to the yellow wire coming out of the magneto or hooking it up at the headlight.it has one one wire so will tying it to the yellow wire solve my problem of blowing the headlight .

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well freebird, the Suzuki TS250 j model has a single wire restistor in headlight, So i think it will work, Most DT"s heve a diode below tank .. :eusa_think:

hi thanks for the info. i decided to put the regulator on the air box and tie it to the yellow wire. seems to be work .so far it doesn't go over 6 volts. now i have to get another headlight, hope this solves the problem

I'd wire it in as per the XT500E wiring diagram, with the lights on all the time there is no need to have a headlamp switch that also controls the regulator connection point to the generator. IE wired to the center of the windings.

You could also try a 12 volt conversion using the cg12 regulator.