1970 AT1-B

dave62
This post is 3767 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Got a few more bits sorted, first job was to finish making some replacment carbon brushes by cutting down some larger ones. Ive used two different grades of carbon to see which will perform the best...time will tell :eusa_think:

P1000721_zps799d8b58.jpg

Had some luck on fleabay and bagged a Nos points cam (in the UK too) to replace my knackered one :thumb:

P1000718_zpsff24441e.jpg

Have now finished cleaning and inspecting the cases and gearbox internals and all looks good. Result.

P1000717_zpsd543aa3f.jpg

So should be able to start rebuilding very soon. Have got all replacment bearings chilling nicely in the freezer (mrs not too pleased though)

P1000722_zpsb3c4e6df.jpg

Cheers...Dave.

Ha thats nothin missus came back early and caught me bang to rights with the engine cases in the oven.

Ooops

• 2 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well, its been a while since I last updated but have managed to move things on a little.

The Engine is now back together with all new bearings and seals (except for the barrel and head which still need to be cleaned and re painted along with the outer cases) Also managed to get hold of a nos 2nd oversize piston and rings that I will keep on a shelf as spares.

enginerebuilt_zps2ae79e1a.jpg

2ndoversize_zps86c271da.jpg

The fork stanchions have come back from Philpotts after being re-chromed and look as good as new but the fork lowers and other painted parts (mudguards, tanks ect) are still with the painter so cannot start rebuilding them yet.

P1000777_zpsf0b9fc4b.jpg

The Frame and other black parts are at the powder coaters but I hope to be collecting them next week sometime, so in the mean time I sent all the Zinc plated parts off to be recoated along with the rear shock springs for re-chroming, these came back real quick so I started to clean/polish the wheel hubs ready to rebuild the wheels and also refurbed the shocks.

zinc1_zps8c9ed789.jpgrefurbedshocksandhub_zpse1ba1fc3.jpg

Cheers....Dave.

• 1 month later...

Managed to get a few more jobs done on the old A.T.

Seeing as I'd now got all the zinc back, I decided to rebuild the wheels. Started with the rear as its got 3 different spoke types and some off set to deal with.

23-06-13056_zps9896abeb.jpg

I took loads of pics and made notes before striping the wheels. Just kept going and after a couple of tries ended up with a finished wheel which I then trued up with a dial gauge and the wheel in the swing arm.

23-06-13051_zps402374fd.jpg

23-06-13052_zps18bf3bac.jpg

23-06-13054_zpsac4ae402.jpg

And the front .....

23-06-13053_zps76706d9f.jpg

Also started to build up the frame and refit the engine.

23-06-13006_zps4362f834.jpg

23-06-13007_zpsd6b4abfa.jpg

23-06-13055_zpsb646dc59.jpg

Hopfully be back soon with another update....Dave.

Finally managed to get the A.T. registered with an age related plate :hyper: so thought Id share my experience for anyone about to do the same.

I've never been through this process before and mix in the 'NOVA' changes,I wasnt looking forward to it one bit :shakeno:

First thing was to send off for the free info pack from the DVLA it gives some good help and advice on how to fill in the relavent V55 form (also included in the pack)

Next off was to get a dating letter to verify the age and model details. (easy bit)

Then, due to the 'NOVA' changes, I had to send my original C&E 386 to HMRC who then sent me a letter confirming that all the import tax had been paid and giving the bike a NOVA reference that the DVLA needed to proceed :eusa_doh:

So now all I had to do was provide an MOT and an Insurance Certificate (both done on the frame number) and some I.D. oh and the £55 Regisration fee. (age of bike makes it tax exempt tho) :spin2: So armed with all this I went to my local DVLA and amazingly was back out 20 miniutes later, job done :jossun:

Just need to wait for the paper work to come through and I can get a plate made up.

Happy days.....Dave.

I thought NOVA only affected bikes imported before a certain date.

Yes, me to. I thought that any bike imported before 15 April 2013 did not need to be on the NOVA register and could be processed with the old C&E 386 (this may still be the case) but confusingly I had read somewhere else that the DVLA would no longer accept C&E 386 as proof so I decided to ring the HMRC Clearence Hub who were very helpfull and told me to send the 386 to them and they then sent me confirmation that all duties were paid and gave the bike a NOVA reference which seemed to please the local DVLA office.... I'm not sure but I think you can get a NOVA reference online, but might be for trade only :shrug:

• 3 months later...

Hi all, appoligies for the long delay in updating but sadly work keeps getting in the way!

After getting the age related reg sorted I decided to crack on and sort out the front end.

First job was to strip the forks and get the Stanchions re chromed.

20130210_141923_zps9b2844c7.jpg

When the Stanchions came back I began the rebuilding. :spin2:

P1000777_zpsf0b9fc4b.jpg

20130415_175446_1_zps9bc97076.jpg

20130724_144857_zpsb8f72c78.jpg

20130821_171125_zps18008378.jpg

With the front end complete I turned my attention to the paint :hyper:

20130829_185010_zps145686f8.jpg

20130829_185046_zps5f8e28d8.jpg

Thats as far as Ive got but now waiting for some cables and need to sort out the tank badges.

Time for a glass of red I think!

20130829_210037_zps75ae0fa6.jpg

20130829_210037_zps75ae0fa6.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice! :yeah:

You"ve been busy Dave ,,, looks cool, :yeah: never seen you at rally"s this year,, ... . i did NOVA online .. you need to have a HMRC login account, hope to see you next year,,, :jossun:

Thanks folks, I'm really enjoying doing this rebuild.

Soz blackhat, I couldnt make the rallys this year (long story involving redundancy ect) but all sorted now so hopfully back on track for next years :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online