dt 125 ready to be set on fire ifffff???

dtluke
This post is 4043 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi folks as some of you may no my new dt 125 overheated a month or two after owning it!!

so was sent to a bike machanic who likes working with 2strokes,he had the cylinder and head off it..

and gave it back to me and said it needed re sleeved new piston gasket ect.. soo ok thought yea lets get that done

and ill now ive a new topened rebuild as wasnt sure when was last (the machanic reckons the top was never of it )_and its 0n 14000

cant see that being wright..

so anyway sent off my cylinder to a very well known mtocycle enginers in wolverhampton to be resleeved and supplied with the appropriate piston gasket... so thats was all ok was done great machanics said him self all ports well dressed looked very well..

so the man put all back together gave me a ring and says all good to go he had it out and she was grand..i collected drove home 10 mile never went above 40 no hard revs got home the best no problems so put the bike in garage and thoght right ill take her out tomorro and get some miles on her to get the head set good tight.. within ten minuets offrideing bike overheated light was on. so stopped emeditaly too look and cool down cooland was down on her.. so got her home rang bike machanics he says it sounds like the thermo so got a new 1 with gasket to genuine..still no joy more money wasted which i dont have..he says try rad cap no joy.. now ive the plastics and all off my self and she seems to be gettin air into expantion tank air coming in so im thinkin enginge gasses coolant looked a bit oily,, will that be signn of head gasket?? i do not no what to do im really am baffled and lost cant spend no more money i would if i new it was a guarantee fix ive spent an awfull lot the last month i really am ready to sell it or because im that pissed with it i would quiet happy burn it never buying a dt again as it has put me wright of them to expensive to fix as it need regular maintanance...ive wasted 2 grand on this bike since owning it includeing buying it fixing it getting test insurance and ive rode approx 100 mile on it ,,

if anyone would reccomed me the next step to take or give me a few pointers i would be greatfull .. im going out wash the van keep me sain that dt has really pissed me off ...excuse my chinese!! :madflame::madflame::madflame::crazy:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get the head off again and check to see if it's warped on a pane of glass, your problem is as you say...compressed gasses blowing past the head gasket.

you didnt fit one of these shite metal head gaskets did you? tell me you fitted one of the rubber coated ones

Somebody else blaming the bike for a human shortfall.

I bet you could have bought a manulal and tools. Fixed it yourself with genuine parts and stlii spent far less.

You can strip a dt motor to nothing with a minimal toolkit. Save a flywheel puller you dont need much.

As to reliability the dt is right up there. 14k is perfectly possible.

As airhead said the pattern gaskets are utter rubish. Same for a lot of piston kits too.

Your beef is with the 'mechanic'.

to be honest i didnt check mate i just recieved the whole kit from pjs they said it was the anthena on the phone and when i just looked at the receipt it says budget gasket set?? :eusa_think: i didnt fix it meself so didnt have a look u think pjs would of told me tho...? i just sent it all and asked to be fixed the just re honed it and dressed some of the ports..might have a go no drop the whole cylinder off?

Could it not be case that after a couple of heat cycles head nuts need nipping up?

My dt has put 600 miles on a metal Athena head gasket with no issues and it also replaced a metal one previously installed!

Ken

---cynic

mate im not no machanic thats whiy ive paid someone -it was a makita piston kit? already paid machanic hes done hes bit i explained the situation he says it must be the cylinder head cracked warped as the gasket are good so he says and hes a vey good machanic never heard a bad word mentioned of him... im just lost on what to do next its all money money unless i get stuck in meself, ive a socket set there fer basic tools screw drivers allen keys pliers ect.. but knowing me ill have every nut rounded and things not right and make it even worse just looking at it looks queit scary tbh :eusa_think::eusa_shifty:

ken what u mean nipping mate?? really tempeted to roll the sleeves up have a blast will i need a new gasket kit after .. what do i look for as in forcracks warped just put it on a level surface?

they sell both, athena are rubber coated just like yamaha ones so they are good, budget are just plain steel with paint on them...crap, I know...I tried one once myself...ever heard the phrase 'not fit for purpose' ?

http://www.pjme.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2epjme%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2fYamaha_DT125R_Fuel_And_Carbs_%2ehtml&WD=gasket%20dt125r&SHOP=%20&PN=Yamaha_DT125R_Engine_Parts_Top_End%2ehtml%23a405#a405

i heard people say this before thats why i asked to see what gasket they used now they have sent the budget 1... can i tell then if i take the head off now im fumeing now././. nice weather all week was looking forward to it being done im itching to get up those mountains!

If you've heard the budget ones are crap before, then why didnt you specify a good gasket??

PJME sell genuine yamaha gaskets for only £12...see the website

the first thing to do is order a decent gasket either an athena rubber coated one or a genuine yamaha one.

next you'll have to drain the coolant and take off the head, if you find a painted steel gasket that may well be your only problem

you can make sure the gasket sealing surface is clean and no bits stuck on there, if you want you can place it on a pane of glass...does it 'rock' on high points...hope not!...when it's on the glass can you slide a thin feeler gauge under it at any point?...hope not

dont worry too much about the torque wrench, you'll find thet one of the nuts is nigh imposiible to get a socket on anyhow and has to be nipped up with a spanner

I suggest you get a manual, there is a tightening sequence to follow when nipping up the head nuts...dont murder them just nip them up but really the feel of 'that'll be enough' comes with experience

can you borrow a torque wrench and do the ones that are accessible...then do the others with a spanner?

re-fill with coolant when its done of course

ok airhead im going to check the gasket now im down as far as the head rad drained tank/plastics ect off.. do i just want to lift the top head of not the cylinder?? and check that gasket no need for the cylinder off ? thanks

bare with me chum ill get back to you shortly really am curious to see what gasket has been used as i specifically ask for the good ones and they say ohh yea we have them no problem before i new it they recieved my cylinder done the work boxed it up and asked me for payment and said the work had been done.and now on the receipt here its saying budget gasket set.like i say ill no in a second 15 kwid for a gasket isnt goint to brake the bank its the transporting the thing and paying a machanic again, just hope and pray to god its just the gasket like you all are saying thanks fellas ill report back soon..!

It is really easy to swap the head gasket take your time I didn't have a torque wrench either I just put all the nuts on and tightened them up finger tight and nipped them up with socket in a cross pattern just giving them 1/2 turns then finally a 1/4 turn when they tighten right up.

Not sure if that's the right way but I have 600+ miles on the topend now

Ken

It is really easy to swap the head gasket take your time I didn't have a torque wrench either I just put all the nuts on and tightened them up finger tight and nipped them up with socket in a cross pattern just giving them 1/2 turns then finally a 1/4 turn when they tighten right up.

Not sure if that's the right way but I have 600+ miles on the topend now

Ken

Thats right Ken, a bit at a time in a criss cross pattern, should do it in about 3 sequences

Sometimes I so things right at the time but when I look back I can't remember if I done it right lol - it's old age creeping in!

Hopefully it is just cheap gasket and not a warped head!!

Fingers crossed for you pal

Ken

just waiting for my brother to bring me the spanner set over as the last nut by the front of the frame is difficult to get at with the socket so will get a 12mm spanner on it..want to get a look tonight so i can order the (proper) gasket first thing!! thanks alot lads ive a good idea what i am at now. will keep you all updated how things go .. :icon_rolleyes:

ps they shouldnt be allowed to parms those shite gaskets off to folk if there being proved to not work by so many :crazy:

Just like everything else pal, there is the good then there is the shit stuff unfortunately garages would rather palm you off with the shit and charge you for the good stuff.

You don't realise it's shit until it fails

Ken

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online