xj600 pre diversion exhaust

offroadkev
This post is 4022 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

i am new to biking and have just purchased an '89 xj600 pre diversion and the exhaust is a bit tired from the 4 into 1 joiner back, i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on replacing it as it appears that they are a bit hard to get hold of, can you fit a 4 into 1 off anything else without much modding ideally none. would really like stainless if possible. the diversion from '92 on looks very similar. any help would be much apreciated thanks kev .

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

motad were selling them off cheap last month or so. they have an ebay account or try them direct

Hi Kev, Welcome to the YOC, the exhaust on most of the pre-diversions looks the same but the actual down pipes - headers are where the difference is, if you take your old exhaust off and look at the end of the pipe (where it goes into the silencer/muffler) you will see a set of numbers, that is where you can tell the difference between them, the 600s are different to the 750 and 900 exhaust, the angle/rake of the downpipes is much greater on the 600, you can fit an exhaust from these bikes to your bike but it will need a lot of fettling and the addition of some home made brackets to get the right angle where the pipe meets the head or you will get leaks around the joint. as to getting a stainless exhaust well I only hope your sitting down when they tell you the price cos I bet it is going to be in the 1K range, the normal exhaust price is about £300ish and MOTAD were having a sale a while back, selling off old items so they might have a few left but I got the impression that they would not be stocking them once they were gone. Good luck with your bike and to answer the other part of your question about wether some thing else off of another bike will fit yours the answer is NO! :jossun:

You will have to find a source that can tell you what system will fit I should think, it's possible that it might fit but as I said earlier they all LOOK the same but when you try them there is a subtle but real difference, try asking your local yammie dealer workshop if they happen to know, they probably won't but might be able to tell your where to go to get your answer, it's a real bastard to buy the wrong system and have it not fit by a few thou, I know cos I have done it :shakeno: but as I said earlier if your willing and able to do some major fettling and can cut some brackets it's possible to make some that almost fit out of different systems. Sorry I can't tell you exactly which system to buy for your bike but I can only tell you that the correct system will fit (obviously) but some of the others might fit with a bit of inginuity. DON'T buy something just because it looks the same from a distance or photo, you have to be able to compare like for like.Hope some of that helps? :jossun:

thanks again slice it is always my luck that when i buy something there is a wide range of parts avalible but never the bit i need. my header pipes look good so i may take a chance that the rear section might fit if i can get it for low money if not i might see if a local exhaust maker can knock me up something and keep looking around for the right parts.

Hi Kev, Just on ebay and saw a system for a DIVI 600 stainless that was under £300 so my initial price could well be out, if you do find someone that can make one up for you then please let me know what you paid cos mine is a rare as rocking horse shit, and anybody that can make one would be a God send to an awful lot of us on here.If you do buy just the rear end of a system I don't see that as a problem as long as the connector is the same (round adapters) as they all have those but it's where the tail pipe actually attaches that can be the bugger, if yours is attached at the foot rest bracket then you will find that the angle is all important when it comes to fitting it, if it's to low then you will have to make a bracket to bridge the gap if it's to high it will interfere with the rear brake linkage so that when you put your foot on the brake it rubs up the side, my solution was to take it off again and whack the offending bit of pipe with a mallet, :crazy: THAT FIXED IT :crazy: and it no longer rubs plus I felt much better afterwards! Good Luck. :jossun:

Hiya,

I bought one of the motad systems from eBay and although it doesn't exactly specify it's for my bike it's close enough although i'm having some problems but that's to do with the bike not the pipework.

Getting to the point. If you search eBay sellers for Motad get in touch with them. They were really very helpful and I got my system delivered to my door for just over a hundred quid.

In saying that I agree with the previous posters, don't rely on the looks. Motad should be able to help I hope.

Good luck,

Davie.

• 2 weeks later...

My XJ600 SECA II has a D&D exhaust, made in USA Texas. Its a bit loud, but the bike loves it. Shop rejetted the carbs, mileage on the bike is never under 50, and I got 59 on a trip, in light rain, with 'very' spirited riding. It's a shockingly good bike. I am thinking of turning it into a reverse trike, as it doesnt' get ridden enough, but would make a great donor bike. Also, my front forks are in need of a rebuild, so its either fix them or change things up.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online