REALRIDER app...

DkD
This post is 4054 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

Has anyone used this app. I've just downloaded it but not had a proper play as yet. The emergency assist seems an interesting concept (it detects if you have had an accident - hmmm- and if you don't respond within 60 seconds to the screen prompts it sends medical info & location to the emergency services). Will read the terms & conditions when I can but just wanted to see if anyone has used this or the other functions.

Otherwise seems pretty decent on the surface with the hazard function a potential good source of info too. App is still very new so guess it depends on the uptake on how accurate the info is.

(p.s I'm not in anyway associated with the app etc just seems a good idea - think it's only available for iPhone users for now though)

this should be the link if anyone is interested.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/realrider/id570371289?mt=8

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Described as the most important & exclusive app for motorcyclists – REALRIDER® is as essential as pulling on your helmet.

Only by the people who developed it...

Call me cynical, malcontent or whatever you like, but I think this could be the biggest load of bollocks ever to hit Smartphones.

"Why did I crash, officer? I was on my mobile phone looking for all the potholes..."

Last thing we need is a load of modern technology bikers glued to a docked smartphone on their bars instead of watching the road!

And what the fuck do I need to be 'socially connected' while riding for??!!

Tasky has turned left.

Noise, Cynic, Foamy and 15 others like this.

Airhead says: "BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!"

Tasky was at 150mph with Drewpy.

HertsPolice is watching this.

Nice thinking on all the various features... especially the utterly pointless part when you realise that most of the best riding roads are middle-of-nowhere areas with no data signal.

And how the heck can it tell the difference between me crashing and me dropping the phone, going over a big bump or flopping down on the sofa?

Chances are, if I crash bad enough that I can't phone a Blue-light Taxi for myself, my phone will be a streak of shattered components halfway down the road anyhow.

Honestly, if I really needed this kind of functionality on a bike, I'd not be using a Smartphone to govern it.

• Like 1

Oh dear DkD looks like you hit a nerve? and to be honest I really don't want something else following me either, I have the plod cameras and god knows what else looking to find me and make my life awkward and now there is someting that wants to shout out where I am and how fast I'm going, I think not. Sorry mate but this is not for the likes of those who ride cos it gets us OFF the grid. :jossun:

hmmm.... fair points really. I was more thinking before my commute checking the app for potential hazards but guess that's relying on bikers updating it as and when they can and assuming they are on the same route as me. (In theory I would highlight potential hazardous once I got to work but doubt it would last as the novelty would wear off pretty quickly).

As for the accident thing, yep agree with Ttaskmaster on the workability of it but could have it's merits.

Will mess about with it for a day or two and see.. as for the social side of it.. no interest - I have this site for that :).

One thing is 100% for sure, my phone stays in my bike jacket pocket and won't be coming out whilst I;m riding ... Don't need that distraction for sure.

haha you'll get to work with a message to report to the local cop shop to pick up your speeding ticket,with the message CC to your insurance.

No thanks seen enough people get into trouble watching the gps instead of the road, to me riding is all about the simplisity of man and machine no need for any computers

Computers "are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard... If they're a benefit, it's not my problem" ;)

Suppose it might apeal to the now generation.

I have been talking garage bollocks to my next door neighbour before, he has said his missus and her daughter have been chatting on facebook. Fair enough you might think. One at college one at home maybe? Nope both on smartphones IN THE SAME FUCKING ROOM.

As said my dt and the tdr to a degree tak me back to a snotty teen. Then calling home cost 10p from a phone box.

Being out on you own was truly on your own.