2T Auto Mix

Grouch
This post is 4048 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've been reading that a lot of people just pre-mix their 2T oil and fuel beacause the auto mix reservoir or whatever they are called are crap. I s this just a problem on a specific make of bike, or is it wide spread? Now that I am aware of this I think I will be self mixing, it's just not worth the risk of your engine seizing because their is not enough oil going through.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i have to self/pre mix because my cables arent correct, my pump/automixer is still good and works, i just dont have a way to hook it to the throttle correctly :(

Dont fall for the crap that its better to premix.

Its all myth. Bikes run better with the pump. The oil is better controlled and its a lot cleaner and more convenient.

Personally i would do everything possible to stay with the pump.

Using squires as an example i used around a litre and a half of 2 stroke the first time i went. Actually running out thanks to a blown bulb.

Last year knobing about with the 175 posse and taking a slower but far nicer run up and back i used a third of that.

Use the pump grouch.

Premix works great if the motor is running high up the rev range but it tends to foul the plugs at low revs as too much oil is being used, so use a pump if its a road bike.

What little experience of 2 smokes I have, 1 back in the day, premix only, and my sons modern bike, separate tank, I would go with using the pump

The only 2T self mix I had was an old Vespa. the other 2T's I have had were crossers and they had pumps. I am just confused with conflicting opinions. The last thing I want is for the engine to seize or blow when I get a 2T. The type of engine I get will be very fragile, I want a mito or an RS.

Crouch, back in the day the pumps were not very good, they tended to over supply oil so they used to smoke (A LOT) but I believe that now it's quite the opposite and you should stick to the pump, if you pre-mix then you get to much oil when slow running and not enough when using high revs plugs oil up and it just becomes a pain in the arse cleaning your plugs off every few miles so do as the others have said and trust your pump. :jossun:

There was a thread a while back about 2stroke engines on here. There was a section on lubrication and they used mx bikes as an example. There is an ideal oil quantity that is far lower than we would believe.

None of the racers accepted it worked and junked the pump. So now you premix crossers.

I have been riding 2 strokes for 30 years and pumps only fail cos dickeds fiddle with them thinking they know better than a multi billion pound industry.

I have never lost a motor to anything other than my own stupidity. I would be more concerned with carb and airbox condition.

Personally i would be looking for a clean fullpower tzr or a stock one i could work with rather than the italian crap. Esp as you like throwing money at dealers. Aprillia and cagiva will add 25% just for the badge.

No disrespect meant Grouch, but with your history of looking after bikes, I would think a fragile motor is not the route you want to take

Just add clear line from the pump and make it part of your pre ride check, take a look at your next safe stop. Oil in the the line= no problem and the perfect mix as designed by the engineers, assuming you've got the minimum pump stroke set correctly. Premixing seems like an unnecessary pain. I've heard from members on here and old mxers at my local bike shop that the only reason serious racers and riders chose was to disconnect their pumps was to cater to their specific riding and throttling style or racetrack. Easier to do when you have a pit crew.

I've yet to come across any evidence of any mass autolube oil pump die off. Not even one drunk guy ranting about how "it all started going downhill in '82, and that's when I told 'em to keep their damn pumps cuz I know what that engine wants!"

No disrespect meant Grouch, but with your history of looking after bikes, I would think a fragile motor is not the route you want to take

I understand your point of view. But the bike I have now is a 4T so the only thing I really needed to do was change the oil. I have had the bike a year and I have rode it everyday and rode it hard. Since a few weeks ago the bike was fine apart from the expected wear & tear. The bike is also stored outside in all weathers (under a sheet) which I personally think contributes to a lot of the problems.

When I get my 2T in a few weeks the bike will be stored in a garage and only rode for pleasure on a weekend. I will be spending a bit on it and it will be my pride & joy (for the time being) so it will not be getting neglected, ragged, redlined.

it will not be getting ragged, redlined.

^Clearly never ridden a two stroke^

Nope Grouch gotta rage the shit out of a 2t just to make it run right now and then,god's honest

the power of a 2t is higher up the rev range, i let a few pals of mine ride the dt and they change gear before the powervalve opened 6k rpm basicly riding it like a thumper i keep telling them to get the revs up always the same response "i dont want to damage the engine"

i dont redline mine every where but i atleast get the powerband as thats where the power is you keep going up the gears without touching the power band your little 125 wont pull very well and you would end up going back down the gears.

i come out of my street and there is a hill so she gets 9-10k rpm up through the gears i f i go lower say 7k i would get to 3rd then have to drop to second and give it more beans.

ride it like you stole it!!!!!

ken

Ken is right, you dont have to redline it everywhere, but it is more fun!

I think.everyone should ride a KTM 300 exc once in there lives.

Pump every time , cleanest petrol engine out there is a 2 stroke when properly setup . ford worked on a 2 stroke fiesta once but it mnever came off

In 1992, Ford revealed an experiment to equip the Fiesta with an engine that looked as though it had been consigned, through its inability to meet increasingly demanding emissions regulations, to the dustbin of technology in the 1960s. A 2-stroke was equipped with a compressed air fuel metering system so precise that its emissions were relatively clean. Unburnt hydrocarbons no longer escaped in such profusion and the virtues of fewer moving parts, no valves, springs, camshaft or pushrods, 30% less weight, 12% better economy and 10% more power, persuaded Ford to run a programme running 3-cylinder 1200cc 2-strokes in 50 Fiestas for field trials. They were astonishingly smooth-running with none of the popping and banging associated with old-style two-strokes. A tank under the bonnet supplied oil to the engine for 12500 miles without refilling, but it turned out to be problematical in service and the experiment was concluded.

Weight: 870kg
Engine: 1.2-litre 3-cyl, 80bhp @ 5500rpm, 90lbft @ 4000rpm. Sarich forced-air 6bar fuel injection system driven by reciprocating pump driven off crankshaft; sealed crankcase, reed valve intakes, engine 100mm lower and 70mm narrower than 4-cyl, roller-bearing forged one-piece crankshaft.
Max speed: 104.7mph
0-62mph: 10.7s
Average 49.6mpg

Hmmm, forced.induction on a DT

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online