DT175MX Indicator Issue

RickGM
This post is 3912 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi. Bit of advice required if anyone can help. My near side rear indicator isn't flashing with full power and when it's on the tail light slightly pulses. Does it indicate (pun not intended) a short somewhere or is it just an under charged battery. I'm still waiting for a 6 volt charger which hopefully will be with me by middle of this week.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

in my experience it usually points to old and dirty contacts in the ignition switch you can prove this to be the case or not by temporarily running a 'live' from the battery to the indicator relay...unplug the brown and fix your 'live' to the terminal on the relay

Thanks again guys. I'll try cleaning up the earths first then if that doesn't sort it on to the live directly to the relay. Are you bike mechanics or just enthusiasts?

judging from grouch's last bike mechanic visit, if this place was full of bike mechanics (by trade) you would have been charged £80 for that bit of advise....... :eusa_whistle:

and dont we all know it hahahahah

• 4 months later...

So eventually I've got round to trying to sort this issue out.

Direct live from the battery improves the situation to the point of it being OK but there is still a slight dimming of the brake light when the flasher is going but otherwise the flashers are good on all quarters. I've tried to sort all the earths and I removed the ignition switch but all connections are soldered so not sure what I can do there. I've also noticed that if I leave the indicators on for a minute or two then the flash gets dimmer and slower. Wondering if the relay is knackered or on the way out(even though that isn't the main problem). My voltmeter is a Black Spur cheapo and doesn't want to play at the bulb although there's 6v getting to the relay from the ignition switch. I've had the headlight out and checked all the connections in there (among the spaghetti). Front indicators are also brighter than rear, and nearside rear is the dimmest.

So, anyone know a decent bike sparky in the Leicester/Northants area coz I'm stumped. My only alternative I reckon would be to run a live direct to the relay and try not to leave an indicator on when parking up.

37l7.jpg

Licester Northants is a big chunk of country. Narrow it down a knats.

If you can wait till Sept (in cornwall for a couple of weeks) I could have a look. Cost you coffee though....

Licester Northants is a big chunk of country. Narrow it down a knats.

If you can wait till Sept (in cornwall for a couple of weeks) I could have a look. Cost you coffee though....

Thanks for the reply Cynic. I'm actually right on the border near Theddingworth (between Market Harborough and Lutterworth).

I've taken the bull by the horns and wired the relay directly to the battery's +ve. There must be a short somewhere and so I decided there was little point taking a feed off a live from the ignition switch. The good thing is that the indicators now work perfectly although there is a tiny flicker on the brake light - nothing that you would even notice if you weren't looking for it. The only thing I haven't done but will do, is insert an in-line fuse.

Thanks for the offer. If I spot a DT in Market Harborough I'll stop ya for a chat (there can't be that many in the "Middle of Middle England" !

Enjoy your holiday in Cornwall.

There are even fewer black and yellow TDR250s. ie mine...

West of Northampton for me. Near J16. M1

in my experience it usually points to old and dirty contacts in the ignition switch you can prove this to be the case or not by temporarily running a 'live' from the battery to the indicator relay...unplug the brown and fix your 'live' to the terminal on the relay

So eventually I've got round to trying to sort this issue out.

Direct live from the battery improves the situation to the point of it being OK but there is still a slight dimming of the brake light when the flasher is going but otherwise the flashers are good on all quarters. I've tried to sort all the earths and I removed the ignition switch but all connections are soldered so not sure what I can do there. I've also noticed that if I leave the indicators on for a minute or two then the flash gets dimmer and slower. Wondering if the relay is knackered or on the way out(even though that isn't the main problem). My voltmeter is a Black Spur cheapo and doesn't want to play at the bulb although there's 6v getting to the relay from the ignition switch. I've had the headlight out and checked all the connections in there (among the spaghetti). Front indicators are also brighter than rear, and nearside rear is the dimmest.

So, anyone know a decent bike sparky in the Leicester/Northants area coz I'm stumped. My only alternative I reckon would be to run a live direct to the relay and try not to leave an indicator on when parking up.

Its the ignition switch then

and as for the getting slower and dimmer...thats the battery, you can prove this by putting a charger on it and doing it again

Popped in to Yam dealer in Loughborough today. They do a new after market ignition switch for the DT including wiring down to the connector for £25. Only problem is the helmet lock won't work with the new key. I'll stick with my direct wired mod.

I still don't know why people are posting workshop questions in the bar but I am guessing the dealer is Arnolds.