RD 350LC YPVS Identification

tomo256
This post is 4035 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys ,

Just trying to get back into LCs and have been looking around and have been offered a bike but the engine and frame numbers dont match but I have read some where that that did happen when some bikes were built. Perhalps you could shed some light on it.

The bike was registered in the UK in 87-88

It is a 1WT type ( I took photos of the frame number but they are not clear, I will take some more when I can )

But has the engine number 31K-054478

Is there any chance that this is a genuine bike and not had an engine change.

Regards

Martin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

nope all yamahas have matching numbers, nowt wrong with it though so long as it is straight, the different engine numbers make no difference really

Yip as Merv says, they should match, but back in the day they would have been getting the nuts screwed off them so engine changes were common. Just make sure the engine and frame numbers match the numbers recorded on the V5c.

This site may interest you

http://www.rd350lc.net/index.htm

they don't last long with no oil in them?hence an early engine change ? with whatever is available..

Thanks guys much appreciated. So will the engine change make much difference

To the finished value, as it is my intention to renovate it. Or should I

Look around for one with matching numbers. I have heard of purists

Turning thier noses up at non matching numbers.

Thanks

I remember racing in the 400 production class in 1988-91 it should have been called the rz350 class because that was the only bike raced,save for 1 lone nsr400 v3 in a field of 30 bikes. I had a 81-83-85 and not 1 had matching #'s and that was 20+ yrs ago

I wouldn't hold out for a matching # bike you may never find 1 as said they were beaten daily and alot went bang and any motor avaiable were stuck in

They are out there , i found one for my son recently , very original , matching numbers, engine looked untouched in need of TLC with an exttra motor £950

wouldn't only the original engine match the original frame? if so ,you won't find it cos it's fecked.

and yes it will effect the overall value , as you now ,there are anoraks out there looking at nuts bolts ?and engines n frames.

Hiya,

This is my first real reply so go easy on me!

As far as I know the 31k is for the first of the power valves or the LCII as they are also known. Don't know much about the other number though.

As far as value it seems as Up Yours says thay matching numbers are a must when trying to get top money. I've seen concourse LCII's going for as much as £5000 which is a bit mental.

Hold out for a matching number example needing work. You'll get more back for it.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Davie.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. As "up yours" and "jimmy" said they were getting hammered as soon as they came out of the showroom. I can remember, so matching numbers are rear. I will probably go with this one as its all there, even the fairing is undamaged. I dare say I will be posting again soon enough. Does anybody on the forum do crank rebuilds, cylinder porting, etc.or can recommend anywhere. Would be nice to keep it all in house so to speak.

Regards Tomo

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online