Need some help with my DT125 LC

This post is 4012 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ok the last option might be the easiet as the fact that the previous owner never had it registered and they had it for 13 years.

and i dont think theres rust in the tank as it was rode fairly often but ill put a light in and check.

and ill go out and get a cone filter when i have the time as the bike isnt being rode anyway right now, i say hopefully another week or so until it is.

thanks for all the helps so far guys!

ive also heard of people putting a hose on the bowl overflow nipple and routing it to another canister/small tank to catch the gas going through to reuse it, is that a good idea, worth it? seemed like it is, just wondering your guys opinions

also i heard that Liquid Cooled bikes tend to get warmer/hotter if they dont have a lot going so i was thinking of wiring a computer fan on the back side to pull air through it if im standing still for a while. the fan is a good size and fits perfectly behind the radiator, could someone possibly tell me how i would go about wiring it or if i should look for another fan/method, appreciate all the help guys!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive got some friends with a 4 wheeler and a trike, wat are the chances of me keeping up with them? the 4 wheeler is a 400ex and the trike is a 250, would i be up to game with them or would i be in the dust? just wondering as they wana do around once the bikes finished

yeah, this thing is pretty much bone stock, i did take off the crap, 40lb 'race muffler' that was gutted and replaced it with a straight pipe, its actually 2 Decibels quieter, WAY lighter (11 ounces), and looks a bit better than a dented, rusty 'muffler'

ill look more into derestricting it in a few weeks as its currently without a rear inner tube

there are a lot of straight back roads (gravel/dirt) and i was wondering if they go WOT, and i open up all the way, are they gonna leave me in the dust, or do i have a chance? if not, what are some simple things that you guys would recommend me to do first for unrestricting it, mostly looking for noticeable differences but if it helps ANY, im all ears

been reading through some of the unrestricting threads as well

not sure, and ill see wat i can do about the header/exhaust setup, im on a tight budget for it now. and the speedo on this thing stops at 50-55mph i wana say, but ive heard of people taking these things well past that? if it helps, its an 85/85 liquid cooled model.

im fine with the 50MPH top if thats as high as i can get safely but if possible, id like to get it up as high i can :)

Aye Bosan" If you gonna run Flat out on a 2 T, it needs to be air tight,[ leaking carb rubber/ Crank seals] and jettet properly,[ main jet]

And you will be flat out on a 125 keeping up with 400"s ,, :whip:

haha so id have to do a good bit before it keeps up with the 400?

i might go at that over time, probably when i do a good rebuild on it and replace EVERY seal, hose, gasket, piston rings, jets, the whole 9 yards. do they have a full kit that has all of that or would i have to buy things individually? id buy multiple kits if needed as long as i got everything needed at a good price. i doubt id need to replace the piston with barely 4700 miles on it?

No 1 kit does all,but you can get complete eng kits,that will give you all gskts,seals.. the rings and piston can be bought a 1 or seperate.

The hoses if you can find them will be seperate,you have to remember you are working on a bike 28 yrs old so finding parts may be difficult.

First thing to do is call your local bike shop and see what listings for part they might have if any ie air filter seat cover,throttle cabels,complete gasket kit ,

Then call your local yamaha dealer and see what is still listed IE Intake rubberand air filter as you need both,cylinder, piston , hoses,cables.

If there is a bike wrecker anywhere near you call them and see what they might have,then try on line and see what wreckes have,you might be racking up some miles on your urabus searcing in old wreckers.The bike was only 15-18 hundred new and if it went bang alot of people just scraped them .

The japs love to throw out all old stock over 20 yrs old and discontinue the part numbers.

These bikes weren't very popular over here,thankfully for you they were in europe so you may find that you will be importing parts and that will get costly shipping and import taxes might be 2-3 times the cost of the part.

I'm not trying to get you down but see whats avaiable first befor you get to much cash in it , a bike of this age should have new crank seals installed as they get dry and if the left seal lets in air it will fry the piston in short order.

So get a tube,new spark plug, air filter( i see from the picts it had a uni filter on before) and take it out for a run,pre mix 30 to 1 is a safe mix to start with and see if the tranmission/clutch is all good,give it a good blast and pull the spark plug out and check the colour,tan is good ,white is bad. this will set you back 30-40 bucks and you will have a better idea as to what your starting with.If you can do a compression test,anything less that 80psi and your looking at a top end rebuild.

Good luck.

ok thanks, a HUGE help! ill call the local yamaha dealer probably tomorrow as my 'Urabus' haha just got a new hood :) V1 WRX JDM hood, needs paint but so does my whole car haha

but i checked the local bike wrecker, they had no DT older than an 02 175cc. ill have to go through town (very small town) and talk to the ocal bike guru and see if he has anything.

as for 30 to 1 premix, im lost as to the meaning, how much 2 stroke oil would i put in for 1 gallon of gas? thanks for all the help so far guys

ok thanks for the help

when you buy oil look on the back it will say x oil for y gas

ok, i hadnt had a chance to go into town to get the things so its on hold for a bit

• 3 weeks later...

Well its been a while since ive been on here, but while i was off i found out some info on my bike thats very interesting.

the guy i got it from in a trade swore it was a 125. i finally found the VIN (under the headlight) and looked it up. Its a 1988 Yamaha DT 50 LC...

So its a 50CC.. kinda dissapointed as i was lied to.

it seems pretty powerful for a 50CC and im not a bike expert so i could see how i was easily tricked into believing it..

Now i have other questions/concerns.

I do still plan to keep it (but i have some people interested, ill let it go for the right price but doubtfully).

Now to the questions.

*is it considered a moped or scooter? my states law (KY) is very easy towards scooters but a bit more strict towards mopeds.

*i dont have papers for it, if i need to register it, how would i go about that? i have a local cop friend search the VIN and it came up clean and clear (no stolen reports)

*ive read that 50cc bikes has problems passing low/mid 30MPHs, is it true for this bike as well?

*if so, how can i get a bit more power out of it? any tips/advice is greatly helpful

*also since my car isnt running i plan to use it to commute to school and home, will it be up the that challange? ive heard 2 stroke 50cc bikes dont like being at the same RPM for a while and my commute is roughly 10ish miles

so any and all help is greatly appreciated, and thanks for all the previous help guys!

Could possibly have a 80cc barrel on it? Making it that bit quicker?

Imo it's neither a moped nor a scooter, as it has no pedals, nor is it a stepthru machine.

However in Britain 50cc motorbikes are often called mopeds.

You will have to check with your local authority how they class it.

yeah i think ill have to. i might call them later today or tomorrow.

i doubt its got an 80cc barrel, how could i check? i wana say the bike is pretty much 99% stock

Not too sure on the lc. The air cooled ones have the cubic capacity marked on the.left hand side of the barrel where it meets the crank case. Wherever it is on an lc, theres nothing to say someone hasnt ground it off making it unidentifiable.

well i got it running today, for the first time in quite a while..

it smoked up a bit and didnt wana stay running, takes a few kicks each time when it dies.

i put some oil in the crankcase and just a tiny bit of gas in the tank (non mixed), just to make sure it will run (even if it does for 5 seconds) just to know its worth it to put more money into.

well wen it started, my heart jumped and i was so excited!!

but ill leave it as it is in the garage and around monday of next week ill get the tube (only $9.37 USD) and and about 2 gallons of gas and some 2 stroke oil for the gas.

if anyone could answer the questions i have that are up a few posts id appreciate it

and busyeddie, ill get that spot checked tomorrow, if nothing else then probably the week after next im taking it to where i work (auto shop) so i can take the engine off and give the bike one good cleaning and possibly do some small maintenance