'83 XJ750E-II, rare bike? anyone else got 1?

XJ_750E-II
This post is 487 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As per the title really.

I just recently won an ebay auction for one of these 29R models, don't think seller knew it was an E-II. But anyway I'm starting to recommission it & was hoping maybe someone on here has even heard of this model, or know something about it, how rare? how many made? etc, as not many people seem to.

I'm also looking for some original carbs (Hitachi HSC33's code 29R00) to replace the incorrect carbs it came with (2 sets of HSC32's, one jetted to US spec XJ650's and the other jetted to UK spec XJ750's) or any other 29R parts anyone may have I may be interested too...

Cheers, Dan.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

??? there was never a UK XJ750E-II, it was a one year only JDM bike.There's no emission controls or anything like that. Think you may have misunderstood the original post. I know there's tons of XJ750s in general but specifically the E-II model is rocking horse droppings :S

Fortunately the research so far has thrown up that it's basically a 900 rolling chassis with a modified 750 motor (bigger valves, higher comp & lumpy cams, 72bhp) and the larger HSC33 carbs that I'm missing.

I've had it running today with the carbs that were fitted after swapping the main & pilot air jets around (must have been rebuilt to Haynes manual as it's wrong), and apart from random revving due to air leaks (airbox rubbers don't quite fit the 32mm carbs) it's sounding good & not smoking so I'm going to tear into it.

I'll try to get some pics up but I certainly shouldn't be needing much else than carbs or rubbers & jets for current ones, tyres, brake hoses, filters etc to get on the road since it's in great condition for it's age having covered about 21,000miles & been kept indoors :)

Hiya Mate,

Don't think bad of people on here...normally really helpful

As I said on another thread you got a bargain there, it certainly looks mint and I certainly love mine

Keep in touch,

Davie

Don't think bad of anyone, if they want to delete a reply that's their prerogative, just saying shame it's quiet here, 38,000 members and the loudest thing's the church mouse lol compared to another forum with 12,000 members where there must have been 500 threads this week... And the knowledge base is purely XJ there too, just think I'm going to be able to answer questions about a less than common bike a bit quicker/easier there than here

Hi Again,

What reply was deleted?

I'm a bit in the same boat as mine is pretty rare too and is now a bit of a bitsa. It was originally fuel injected, has had that removed and now has a set of carbs and pod filters. I don't know what the carbs are from though. I've been told the model code for mine is XJ 750 E II 29R Jap Import.

Yours looks like the XJ900 pre-diversion a bit, there's a 900 on ebay now for spares or repair I think but is not as nice as the one you bought.

I'm new to this forum also but to be honest i've found other members really really helpful even with non Yam stuff. See post in the workshop section on my GPz problem.

All the best,

Davie.

I can't remember what the post was now tbh.

I think if yours was fuel injected that'd make it a D but will have a look, probably less of those then E-II I would guess.

If you look at the frame number on the r/h side of the headstock & the engine number on a flat bit above the clutch cover, I should be able to tell you more accurate info on it. The 29R 750E-II like mine is basically a 900 pre-div frame with uprated 750 engine.

I'm going to say that your frame number is something like 5G8020xxx and engine number 5G8 also?

Here's some ID for the JDM '83 model year

MODEL NAME: XJ750E-II
STREET NAME: 1983 XJ750
MODEL ID CODE: 29R
FRAME ID: 29R
SERIAL NUMBER STARTS AT: 000101
NOTE: this model had a 750 engine in the XJ900 frame.

MODEL NAME: XJ750D
STREET NAME: 1983 XJ750
MODEL ID CODE: 5G8
FRAME ID: 5G8
SERIAL NUMBER STARTS AT: 020101
NOTE: this model features fuel injection.

MODEL NAME: XJ750
STREET NAME: 1983 XJ750 Police Special
MODEL ID CODE: 33V
FRAME ID: 33V
SERIAL NUMBER STARTS AT: 103001
NOTE: this model is a Police Special.

MODEL NAME: XJ750P
STREET NAME: 1983 XJ750 Police Special
MODEL ID CODE: 39Y
FRAME ID: 33V
SERIAL NUMBER STARTS AT: 110101
NOTE: this model is a Police Special.

EDIT-: Also, if you post a pic of the carbs with the pods off, pictured from the pod end (like you're trying to photo the slides) I may be able to identify which cars you have

Hiya,

My Frame No is 5C18020930 But yes it did have fuel injection.

It's kept in a lock up a bit away from my home.

Did you see the pictures I posted before? I think it was on the workshop area with the title exhaust help needed or something.

Davie.

Couldn't find the pics no, will have another look.

Don't know if the list I saw had a 5C on it, possibly a D-II if they made one?

Just had a quick spin round the block on mine & wow are those tyres shot! felt like steering a barge through soup! Now it's not so far off engine-wise I'd better get some rubber sorted, what tyres do you have? Been told contis are pretty good but I've always liked either Michelin, or Heidenau on smaller bikes!

I have a new continental to go on the rear when, if I ever, get the new 4-1 fitted.

The front is brand new but is the cheapest of the cheap so i'll see how it is when I get it back on the road.

This is mine..........

IMG_1467_zpsa19133ba.jpg

Davie.

Hey,

Theo 4-1 was purely bought for the cost.......Motad were selling their new/old stock on ebay recently so I got it for just over £100

I would've preferred 4-2 but they were costing much more than I paid for the bike!

Davie

• 1 month later...

@ XJ750E-II,

Ive just bought one here in NZ in great condition apart from the colour. Althought the paint job is good its not original so I will be re-painting it in original colours. What a great bike for 30 years old. Does anyone know how many were manufactured? my frame number is 29R-001031.

Cheers

Steve

• 5 months later...
  • 9 years later...

Nine years later, but yes I have one of these bikes.

Have you still got yours?

BW Stephan

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online