Not your average member!

This post is 2680 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, my name is Pierrick, I'm French, 25, and I'm living in the UK for aproximatly 3 years.

I like all sorts of cars and bikes but specialy oldies... and that's why I'm here.

So you might want to ask me what kind of bike I own... well I own a 1976 Honda XL 125 which I found in a barn in my grand ma farm a few years ago. I bring it to England with me and just finished to restore it. I also own a 1966 MG Midget bought 2 years ago here in Angland, but that's not why I am here!

I'm here because I'm looking for a bike, one's own by my girl friend's dad! My girl friend dad is English (born in Street, Sommerset I believe!) and in 1969 he had a yamaha C180 (I think!). A few month ago I found a old photo of him and his bike where it was possible to read the registration number, so I went on the DVLA web site and found out the bike still beeing used with an MOT until october 2013!! Exellent!!

DVLA details says:

Registration n°: WYD 23 H

MOT until 01/10/2013

First registration: 02/09/1969

180cc, BLUE

So I hope to be in the right place with the right people to help Me find this bike! I have a photo somewhere on my camera, I'll post it here very soon.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome Pierrick Lets hope some one on the site can help you out fining this bike, i only live 30mins away from Street in Somerset so i will try and keep an eye for you be helpful if you/we can find the registered keeper but i doubt thats easy to hold of due to data protection

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome. So, does anyone know where I should post on this forum to have a chance to find this bike?? or if there is any yamaha classic meeting, how do I know when and where?

Thanks.

Hi peirrick" :jossun: you can try the V.J.M.C. They"re the biggest Jap bike club in the UK, you may have to join ,, for info..

Welcome!

Yes you are not the average member here and I'm interested In you little mission but I wanna know What makes you think when you find it that the owner wants to sell it?

Ken

Welcome!

Yes you are not the average member here and I'm interested In you little mission but I wanna know What makes you think when you find it that the owner wants to sell it?

Ken

I have no idea if the actual owner would want to sell his bike or not... but the first step is to find it... and then we will see what happend! And even if he don't want to sell it, at least, he will be happy to know a bit more about the history of his bike!

What I think is, if he restored it himself, there is little chance he wants to sell the bike, but if it's a bike he bought restored it's completely different, he can sell this one and find another one... htere is plenty of classic bikes out there!

Here is a photo of the bike in 1969 (or 1970):

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

steevebike.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Like 1

Looking at the front mudguard having a straight stay, and low slung straight pipes

plus the size and shape of the side panel

I think its likely to be a 1969 Yamaha YCS-1E http://classic-motorbikes.net/images/gallery/yamaha_ycs1e.jpg

the earlier 1967 YCS-1 had a shorter front stay which was only half as long and higher handlebars.

http://classic-motorbikes.net/images/gallery/yamaha_ycs1.jpg

Bearing in mind there must be only a few left.......... the top picture is probably a picture of YOUR bike you're looking for!!

• 3 weeks later...

where did he go? did I scare him off?

Without even trying, eh? :shrug:

Yer would be nice to see how he is getting on with hunting it down

where did he go? did I scare him off?

Looks like he was an average member.....

Hi! Sorry, I didn't come on here on the last few weeks, i had a few problem with my car!

Don't worry neo, you didn't scare me off!

Thanks for the details, I'm sure this will help.

I had a look on the VJMC web site... and you need to pay to register, even to have access to the forum, I think it's not really fair to ask everyone to pay, just to have access to some informations on the internet!

Anyway, neo, when you say there is only a few left.. how many do you maen? I'm sure there is a few hundred still on the road... how can you say the one on the picture is the one I'm looking for???

I think I'll send a mail to the DVLA, so they can give my details to the actual owner and see what append.... do you think they can do that?

A few hundred on the road? not likely mabey more like 20,the rest are under glass in museums or in private collections.

Hi Pierrick, glad to see you're still around....

As regards to how many on the road, theres probably very few..............

Most motorbikes you see are quite modern. ie under 20 years old. Classic bikes i.e older than say 1980 are not that common here in the UK. You do see them, I ride 2 myself, but I don't see loads when I'm out and about., lots of modern ones but not 'old' bikes.

I'll be lucky to see another DT 175MX in the same month.

To be fair 60's bikes are rarely seen on the road on a monthly basis.

During the summer you're more likely to see them at classic car shows, transport festivals and the like. Of course you will see them more in the summer, good weather etc, but i think its reasonable to say a YCS-1 is one of those rare bikes. I don't think I've seen one or indeed anything resembling one on the road for decades.

If there was lots, putting YCS-1 in google would probably bring up lots of photos, but there are few, the ones I found were of a blue one! To me thats a good indicator to the number out there.

Plus if there were "hundreds about" theres a good chance they would be a member of this club and we'd have heard from them

I can't speak for everyone here on the YOC but I'm sure many will agree with me.

I just had a look an e-bay... there is none for sale!! I must say, I'm a bit I'm surprised!!!

And desprite looking on the internet I can't find any YCS or 180 owner club...

Oh yeah, I say 180 because when I asked my girl friend's dad which bike it was, all he could say was it's a 180...so, can you confirm it's a 180cc?? Twin if I'm right?

Oh by the way, here is a photo of MY bike... not a yamaha but I'm sure you won't mind!

sdc10912.jpg

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

...................and we never did hear from him again!

i was looking to see if Tommy xs post in another thread of this hybrid bike was possibly similar.

But the hybrid (in the link) is a single and the above YCS is of course a twin

Maybe his car has broken down for good this time but what that's got to do with posting on the forum.. who knows??

• 3 years later...

Hi guys I'm not dead and my car is fine.

I logged on to check if there was any progress here but I think it is fair to say after 3 years without posting anything I am not surprid this post was put to bed...

But anyway, sorry Neo, you got it wrong again!

So, if there are new members in this forum who never heard about my request before... just scroll up a few messages and you might be able to help.

Thanks.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online