Fork seals

Grouch
This post is 4041 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You need to lose that bike its a money pit. Forks are fairly strait forward just may need some special tooling.

You need to lose that bike its a money pit. Forks are fairly strait forward just may need some special tooling.

Nah, it only needs left fork seal, how much would it cost roughly?

Grouch"o front end needs suspended,wheel off , i slacken fork cap while still clamped in yolks [ triple tree], then yolk bolts. slide offending fork out, loosen fork cap, [ apply pressure as unscrew] keep pressure on as fork spring unloads as cap unscrews. take out spacer& spring, turn fork upside down into bucket, to empty oil. then into vice, [ with wooden blocks] old woodwork vice is best, thers allen screw in bottom , this may need airgun as to spin faster than captive insde fork, then slide out tube, seal will be held by circlip,

then pry out auld seal , take care not to damage face, ,, bang in new seal with similar sized socket,,, vall"a..

unfortunately it is one for the garage, but more importantly why has the seal failed?

is the leg pitted? bent? some thing has causd it, you need to find out what. and you should do both at once really, looking at about £100 all in. and while legs are off how bout sticking some gators on the legs to protect the forks.

Ha a " grouch"o your a scream, [ like the marx brothers.] heres the cheap"o way. you take of fork leg, drop it at garage, 1 hrs work , for u, 1 hr for them,,, :yeah:

Cause " i suspect Wheelies, :whistle:

Definitely too advanced for me : ( more money to the garage. Ffs.

Why? Front wheel off, then it's just undoing 4 bolts and one circlip per side - even though it's only one side that's gone just now, still do both legs as you can guarantee the other one will go if you don't. Also as you'll be refilling with fresh oil you could end up with one leg stiffer than the other, not good if you want to ride straight .....

Almost as John (Blackhat) says: loosen off the fork cap, slacken off the pinch bolts holding the leg into the clamps and slide the fork out. Then I would undo the allen key at the bottom as the spring pressure will help to hold the captive part in place, then remove the cap. After that it's just as John says, circlip, pull apart, pry out old seal, press in new one and put it all back together.

Here's one I did earlier (last year):

Before

DSCN0534.jpg

During (just hope yours aren't this bad!)

DSCN0538.jpg

After

after.jpg

I would also use OEM seals, every time I've used pattern ones in the past they've gone again in a matter of months, despite looking identical to the factory jobbies....

You're welcome.

It maybe just a bit of dirt behind the seal so get a feeler gauge slip it in between the leg and the seal and rotate it 360deg to see if it clears anything, top up the oil and check if it still leaks.

Ok Grouch Time to man up..... either ask for help and try,or forget it all .... this is not beyond anyone with a little time..and didn't you say you were going to put some time aside from now on.

The bottom bolt ( allen that seperates the top leg from the bottom ) should be loosened first if it won't then you will need a impact gun.

On your bike you don't even need to pull the front wheel off to find this out as your bike has a leeding axel ,so clean the crap out of the bottom so the mmm 8mm allen socket will fit in snug ,give it a firm whack if it turns then all is good. the rest has been explanied.

You're not having a lot of luck of late.

Take a gander at Beef's thread where help has been offered. Although no one is in Yorkshire, there are a couple in Manchester. Not saying they'll have the knowledge for this particular skill but there's no harm in asking. Just remember to supply the necessary parts, a notepad so you can learn, and some dosh or booze as a thanks for their time and patience.

You're talking 40 miles max, one way, on your 125. A good excuse for a ride out if you ask me. My 125 does an 80 mile round trip for work and I love it.

Alternatively, use the knowledge everyone has already shared, plus places like You Tube etc and see if you can try it yourself. If you aren't too comfortable doing this, then just share pictures of each stage. May take longer, but think of the satisfaction after.

have a watch of that and see what you think.

I watched the video above Grouch and that is all you need to know, it.s easy and should take no more than a couple of hours per leg for your first time so get on with it! Lots of money to be saved. :jossun:

Dont think about it Grouch'O

Just start doing it :eusa_dance:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online