Failed MOT - No k/ph reading wtf

WherEmEweeD
This post is 4046 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My digital speedo on my Yamaha Xt125 x 07 only shows MPH and on the actual screen the mph is printed on with ink....
I asked the guy how in the hell was i suppose to fix this problem and he said google it, i was like waaat da fook :?:
The bike has never been mot'd as this is the first time i have had to but any help would muchly be appreciated as i just purchased my speedo to do the mot and now i fail for this mind boggled.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

mmm i think this is bollocks and the tester trying to generate more income from retest fee.

i thought it was a legal requirement to have a speedo in mph it was not a testable item. i drive jcbs and they dont have speedos and but have to have an mot every year...

mine has a speedo with just mph on it and built in idiot lights but had no cable connecting it and the wheel for the last mot and it passed....

i would ring a couple of other mot stations and ask. and if its not required then go back to where you had yours tested and point out the error to the tester and see what comes of it.

what did he want you to fix? the fact that is constantly says MPH or the fact that it doesent have KPH.

i got mine tested about a month ago and mine looks JUST like the one in the picture with the constant MPH on it.

what's this bloke playing at?

does it have a button to convert to KPH, cos my mates Toyota Yaris only shows MPH or KPH depending on which display you choose, and my nes Seat Ibiza only has MPH on the analog speedo but a digital KPH display on the trip computer

Ok so i got the km/h reading on my speedo working by holding the mode button then it flicks on km/h.

Where do we go from here.. If i ring them to tell them my speedo is dual reading will they have to pass the MOT? Or will i have to pay for the retest.

Another thing i noticed is the km/h is underneath the printed MPH sign which is irritating and bad design flaw but then again i don't see why iam getting annoyed when i use MPH lol

BTW Cheers for all the info at least now i am well acknowledged about speedos thumb_up.gif

paperwork said.

305:interior/Glass/Mirrors:Speedometer-not dual marked (MPH & KPH)

Mervin has just sent me over here.

The MOT tester is talking bollox and he should not even be looking at the speedo.

There are no checks in any part of the MOT that require him to lok at it.

You dont even need a speedo for an MOT

Ask the tester for an apeals form (He has to give it to you)

Fill it out and you will win the apeal.

If you were in my area you could bring it to me and I would pass it even if the speedo was not there.

and in case your not sure check this out.

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

• Like 1

@Paul Dawkins

Thanks for clearing things up. I will try get me one of those appeal forms tomorrow.

I must admit it was getting overly steamy in my helmet on the drive home as i had just bought a speedo to do the MOT and then i was dealt with a related problem.

They have a record for being overly strict in my local MOT centre i know this because i done work experience in there.

@Grouch

Will do !

what a knob that tester is, is it the only MOT tester near you?

I take mine to a tester who's old school and knows his way around the system and age of bikes.

He will fail bikes, but only because they are dangerous.

I have ones couple extra miles out some of the guys in the mot centre where i am are good guys just a very strict mot centre for some reason.

From when i did my work exp in there i noticed the pressure they have on them is immense and the strictness was worse than secondary school.

But as for the guy who done me for dual speedo ratings i dunno what that was all about. I will maybe take a cruise upto Ballymena test centre.

Always good to have an insider is the rule of thumb for me.

Just one thing to rermember.

I MOT test I am quoting is for the UK.

I am not sure if your in Ireland as I am a UK MOT tester, it could be different rules.

It may be discretionary, but most places offer to retest free of charge if you fix whatever problems they found and return within 5 days or something like that. Others I know also offer slight discounts (followed by free retest) if you get them to fix the problems.

Then again, if you know less than they do about 30-45% of the mechanics and perhaps 70% of fitters will try and pull a fast one on you. If they start their report with a sharp intake of breath through the teeth, stop them there and either walk away or draw your broadsword and raise an eyebrow... the latter usually works wonders for me! :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online