Hello! Yamaha YG5T (1968) Clutch Cable

wooddav3
This post is 4038 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok, I took of the exaust pipe to unscrew the old clutch cable housing (metal tube, as seen in picture). I then was able to unscrew it out. I then screwed in the new clutch cable. Now I am finding out, the cable is too short? It will not reach (about 2 inches too short). I am lossing my mind. Anyone know where I can take this bike to just get this replaced.

I bought the "new" clutch cable on eBay, which fit the YG5T description.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok, I took of the exaust pipe to unscrew the old clutch cable housing (metal tube, as seen in picture). I then was able to unscrew it out. I then screwed in the new clutch cable. Now I am finding out, the cable is too short? It will not reach (about 2 inches too short). I am lossing my mind. Anyone know where I can take this bike to just get this replaced.

I bought the "new" clutch cable on eBay, which fit the YG5T description.

Screw in the aduster fully into the engine case

Screw in the adjuster fully into the lever

Fit the nipple into the operating lever (engine)

Pull out the clutch lever pivot bolt and detach the lever

Fit the cable through the lever adjuster screw slot

Fit the nipple into the lever

Fit the lever back into the perch and bolt it up again

This is really the only way to do it, did you do it this way?

When you removed the arm B did you resete the screw in the center of the nut,turn in till lightly bottomed and then back out 1/8th of a turn,then lock nut?

I take it you used the adjusters to give only a small amount of slack in the cable?

going to 1st from 2nd is often tricky, best have a properly warmed up engine before you delve too deep, and it's also easier with the bike in motion

haha now the bike isn't starting. I re-adjusted the clutch to make it fit better. but I think I might have messed with the lever (B) too much, and now the bike won't kick over. Any suggestions.

It was riding yesterday like a champ, and now... nothing.

Thanks so much for your patients and help everyone!

Dave

EEEEssssplain yourself lucy ......jo makin a no a cence. Where a did a you a go messin with the clutch to stop the bike from turning over.

All I said was turn in the screw and then back out 1/8 th and lock the nut,,,, what have you don'eh, you a suposa to hold the secrew from turning when you tighten the nut eh.

some bikes turn the engine via the clutch you cant kick them with the clutch lever pulled.

you need to give a little slack at the lever, my guess is you took up too much slack so now the clutch is disengaged, screw in the cable adjusters until you have just a little free play.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online