Do you wear a Hi-Vis?

j0hn
This post is 4048 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Personally I drive as well as ride, Im sure some of you do as well.

(I think riding a motorcycle should be compulsory before you get into a car)

I think its a wee bit difficult to qualify but I cant say that I have ever not seen a motorcyclist (esp at night) but then noticed them by virtue of the fact that I have spotted their Hi Vis jacket.

So I would say no.

Arguable lulls the wearer into a false sense of visibility.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A quick Search reveals this topic being argued and bitched about several times already. I've already commented on those, so kinds pointless repeating myself yet again.

I will only wear mine during really shitty days, (FOG/MISTY mornings/nights)

But apart from that no i don't. They look like eluminated elephant jiz with slug tracks painted on. no matter what you wear you will always get the wanker cage driver with more money than you trying to get home fast to catch his mail order wife nobbing off the black bloke next door who cant afford to waste time with indicators or looking for other road users.

Only thing you can do i ride with your head, think of what will be coming out/into the approaching junction and pre-plan what to do IF said twat appears.

i usually just wear my black textiles, maybe a motocross shirt over, as it is bright blue and still looks alright...well better then high viz.

The only time i can imagine wearing one would be when i get round to doing my mod 1 and mod 2, mainly to try an get some brownie points. Might help persuade them that once i get my license i will remain a sensible rider hahaha

The only time i can imagine wearing one would be when i get round to doing my mod 1 and mod 2, mainly to try an get some brownie points. Might help persuade them that once i get my license i will remain a sensible rider hahaha

Your driving instructor will provide you with a Hi Viz so you don't need to take your own, as they normally have their training school marked on it (mobile bill board)

Some of my bike gear has high viz elements built in. The graphics on my lid are done with the same material as road signs and have been told its very bright.

Picked the patern before i realised it was SO visible. My trousers also have reflective piping. Just the way its going.

The health and safety police. ie the insurance companies will force it through in the end. Can see it now. Defence from car insurance will be that he couldnt see him cos no hi viz.

Win or lose before long reflective elements will be a discount on your policy.

Dont call me cynic for nothin.

I wear hi vis as I do most of my riding in the dark and felt I should try and be seen hence I look like abright yellow power ranger LOL and if something should happen to me then I can say how could you miss me LOL but when the lighter mornings come ill get some new darker trousers jacket and helmet , also by this time I'll have mote riding experience as well

Some of my bike gear has high viz elements built in. The graphics on my lid are done with the same material as road signs and have been told its very bright.

Picked the patern before i realised it was SO visible. My trousers also have reflective piping. Just the way its going.

The health and safety police. ie the insurance companies will force it through in the end. Can see it now. Defence from car insurance will be that he couldnt see him cos no hi viz.

Win or lose before long reflective elements will be a discount on your policy.

Dont call me cynic for nothin.

yep I agree, It's gone that way with cyclists now...If they are wearing a helmet or not will reflect on the compensation they get after having an accident yet wering a helmet is not compulsary. When all said and done It's just the insurance companies trying to keep their liabilities lower isnt it.

Well, having nearly been taken out by a car last week I've just bought a hi-viz jacket. It may or may not make drivers spot me any better, but I guess if it does I'll never know as the car will spot me and stop.

Now I drive a car and am pretty good at spotting bikers whether they're wearing hi-viz or not but that's because I ride a bike! Bearing in mind most car drivers are too busy using mobiles etc rather than look for a tiny insignificant biker anything that may help me be seen on my commute can only be a good thing.

I would not make hi-viz compulsory though, but would make driver awareness of motorbikes a compulsory part of car training.

• Like 1

Totally agree with your last statement. Most driving instructors don't really cover checking for blind spots when changing lanes, only when moving off. I was told off when I (instinctively) looked out the driver window before I committed to change lane and was told to use my mirrors instead. Generally looking out for motorcyclists and cyclists isn't as enforced as I'd like it to be. Something the DSA should look into.

if something should happen to me then I can say how could you miss me

That's another good point. You are cutting down any credible reason for anyone to pull a SMIDSY. And as Cynic touched on, any claim is only going to be in your favour (given the circumstances) as you have tried your best to prevent yourself from becoming a hazard.

A quick Search reveals this topic being argued and bitched about several times already. I've already commented on those, so kinds pointless repeating myself yet again.

On this forum? I always check for duplicates before I post threads and didn't come across any similar. Possible that I may have not hit the right keywords during my search.

Until they find a way to actually stop people from using mobile phones while driving, Texting, smoking, reading (I've seen it), doing makeup and all the rest of the stuff that some do, it wont matter what you wear.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online