Do you wear a Hi-Vis?

j0hn
This post is 4048 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've never really gave much thought to wearing a Hi-Vis before but things have kinda changed and I've realised that it's not easy for a biker on the road. If people don't see me in daylight, what chance is there at night? So I've decided to wear a Hi-Vis while riding during night time. Do any riders here wear a Hi-Vis and did it make any difference?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

No I don't and never will. It looks ridiculous. Also I don't think it makes the blind bit of difference. If they can't see a motorcycle and its rider in daylight or with their lights on in the dark, what difference would high vis make?

I'm with grouch on this one!!

I go into work at 6.15am its dark I have me lights on and I still get pulled out on!

You know when people take a quick glance before pulling out depending on the person but subconsciously there brain is looking for 2 lights or a car in daylight that's why people say they never seen us coming.

In my opinion its the car drivers that need to be educated in looking for bikes aswell as cars, I have no idea if they have incorporated it into the at test but they should.

Ken

Do in the winter when it's dark, dont in the summer. It's my choice and I try to be sensible...one day I may not have the choice.

+1, I carry one under my seat for when the weather turns bad

I am like Mrweso I am either riding into work at 04.30 or riding home later at night. I need one in work and tend to put one on so I know I have it with me.

I have left it at home too many times.

Does it make a difference, I have no idea. The only thing you can say is if you pass a cyclist with no lights on but just a high vis with reflective panels on it makes a difference but a bike with headlight on?

However I will still wear one so her indoors is happy.

Old River Man

Surely there is a statistical way to find out if a Hi-Vis does in fact make difference by comparing all RTC' involving motorcyclists and whether the rider at the time was wearing a Hi-Vis. IMO, the government should look into spending money for things like this.

But you live on shetland...theres no one else there wtf! :lol:

I bet even the ponies wear them

Surely there is a statistical way to find out if a Hi-Vis does in fact make difference by comparing all RTC' involving motorcyclists and whether the rider at the time was wearing a Hi-Vis. IMO, the government should look into spending money for things like this.

That is dangerous talk. I think the French have legislated that bikes need to have bigger number plates for their own safety. Many decades ago there was almost legislation brought in over here for all bikes to have leg protectors - even though it was proved that more bikers legs were amputated in a crash - for bikers safety. Education and stiffer penalties are what is required, not forcing a biker to wear all in one fluros and then a car driver be given a £50 fine for killing a biker in a crash.

Granted it does look ridiculous, it's probably a lot safer for riders wearing all black riding at night.

In theory yes they should make you appear a lot more visible, but you could be riding round with the Blackpool Illuminations on your bike and you still would get unnoticed. But logically thinking wearing high vis should increase your visibility.

I don't want the government to enforce something like wearing a Hi-Vis but it would be an interesting statistic to look into. Then give the rider the choice on how that would effect his or her attitude. Logically, it would be a lie to say that a Hi-Vis makes no difference at night for a rider in all black gear, that being said, it's really down to the observer and how observant they are.

//Edit: Yea, what Grouch said.

Many decades ago there was almost legislation brought in over here for all bikes to have leg protectors -

I remember that

must have been about the eighties ??

was it not about the time that you could use a sidewinder on bigger bikes with L plates ??

nobody wants to wear them stupid stupid things

they make NO difference what so ever.

All they do is hinder you while riding, flapping round in the wind, cant see in your mirrors or anything.

They DO NO WORK as in keeping us safer.

Ill say that again

THEY DO NOT WORK

I never wear one either.

However, I always do my best to ride just in front of big juggernauts!........nobody ever turns into the path on them!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online