First Bike, Yamaha SR125, Beginner Questions

Benedictine
This post is 3924 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Its a flat battery, It was very, very cold last night. My boys virago did the very same thing this morning. We bump started the bike, and when he came in from college, he (watched and guided by daddy) fitted the Optimate adapters taken from his sr.

yeah put it in 3rd gear (or 2nd if you can get away with it)

Turn the key on

Put choke on

Pull the clutch in

Sit on the bike and get a friend to push untill you build speed

let the clutch out

hopefully it will go...be prepared for it to take off with ya so if it fires...be in control of it (pulling the clutch back in usually)

Sorry Airhead

I didnt realise you had answered this. I just scrolled to the bottom of page 2

It would be best charged, it would be best to use a bike specific charger too, but if you're desperate a car charger will do for a short while and if it has a low/high setting use low, 15 mins will do

If you do end up charging it, check the level is between the max/min lines it may need topping up with distilled water (not tap water)

If you havent got a spanner to get the plug out, how'd you get it in?

The good old father-in-law. Need to get myself some decent tools, working on it. Got some spanners but not the round end needed to get at the plug.

I managed to bump start the bike into work this morning. Friend has brought in his battery charger so if I have any problems I'm going to borrow that, but he says riding around should re-charge the battery on it's own. I'll try that first and then re-charge or failing that buy a new battery as someone else said they just would do any way.

Thanks.

Well I've had to bump start the bike about four times now. I'm getting a battery charger from a friend tomorrow. I am being given varied advice about what to do with it though, one person says just buy a new battery, someone else just charge it and someone else that a good run will self charge it? :eusa_think: I intend to charge it and check the water level then just go from there.

Had a decent run on the bike today for the first time, 20 mile or so and got it up to 40 mph!! Riding around and feeling comfortable on it now. Bloody freezing though.

The water level? No, I've not had the battery out of it yet. Was going to do that tomorrow when I get the charger.

Just seen a new battery on Amazon for £23, £30+ on ebay same one, so I think I'll just order that. Still needs to be charged though, as only comes 70% charged? I'm sure there's a good technical reason for that but I can't think why. So I'll still need to borrow the charger anyway.

I also checked the tire pressure today as my pump and pressure reader came. The manual says 28psi for the front and 30psi for the back. The front was spot on, but the back only had 19 psi pressure in!! So I sorted that out swiftly.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Ben

Great wee bikes. My son just sold his after riding in all weathers for the last 2 years. It looked a bit tired but a few hours of cleaning and it came up looking good. He sold it to a dealer and only made a £50 loss from his buying price, so a very desireable bike for the learner.

Anyway the bike went well and only 1 major(ish) issue in that the CDI failed about a year ago, but a replacement was sourced for about £30 and no issues since. A small issue was the petrol tap. If he left it switched on in the garage, there would be a distinct smell of petrol the next day. May just have been his bike, but be aware. Another small issue was the choke and its reluctance to stay on. Yours will be the same type with a pull bar set up. If yours shows the same flaw (seemingly it is a common thing), the simple way to fix it is by stretching a thick elastic band between the choke lever and the petrol tap. The friction of the band is enough to hold the choke lever in place.

Anything I can help with, and I'm sure it's the same with all the others on here, we will be more than happy to help if possible.

Safe riding

Interesting about the choke. Mine doesn't stay on either! Not had to use it yet even at -2 to start first thing, only when I stopped in snow I had to use it, after the engine had warmed up?!

Interesting about the choke. Mine doesn't stay on either! Not had to use it yet even at -2 to start first thing, only when I stopped in snow I had to use it, after the engine had warmed up?!

Yes it is a brilliant starter. I only need the choke when it is really cold and then not for long. I just sit and hold out the choke for 30 secs max even in the cold and then it is good to go. Usually though it is just a case of on and away. My brother has a YBR 2008 model (mine's a '93 SR) and his takes an age to warm up.

Edit: oh by an off chance, does anybody know what fitting the mirrors are on the SR 125. Are they 8mm or 10mm? I think they are 8 but I'm not sure. Cheers.

No idea on the thread - can't see for sure without taking them off. Will find out soon enough though - the link you sent me looks like a good buy, even if I have to replace them in a year or so when the cheap Chinese chrome comes off!

I've cancelled my Haynes manual, taking too long to come! I'll pick one up in WHSmiths when I'm next near one. Fingers crossed there's nothing else really wrong with her! The fuel leak seems to have stopped now regardless of where I have the fuel switch. Think I'll let the fuel run through til I need to use reserve so I know how many miles I get! I'll let you know. If our bikes are very different on consumption it could point at something wrong.

To be honest I've not found the Haynes manual that useful, I've got more info from the online user manual and on here.

http://www.motorkari.cz/upload/files/manualy/1851_yamaha-sr125-manual.pdf

Having said that it is probably best to get one anyway.

I didn't realise you had a fuel leak but glad it seems to have stopped. I just keep the fuel switch to 'on' unless I'm leaving it for over a week or so, like in the snow days the other week. I have found that if you keep turning it on and off it is easy to forget. My brother did the same the other day and ran the engine with the fuel switch off, luckily he was not on the bike, as his takes an age to warm up (YBR), so the engine just cut out. He had problems starting it after that though, had to bump it into action.

I believe a full tank of fuel on these bikes, that's 10 litres in the tank should give it around 200 mile. With there being no fuel gauge I find it hard to judge exactly, but by all accounts that seems to be about right. I don't wait until it is low though and top it up when it looks like it is going below half way. I've only topped it up twice and done around 250 mile on it, so that would seem to add up as well.

It's worth checking the oil level through the little glass window as well if you haven't done so already. Also the water level on the battery. Both of mine were low when I bought it.

If you read back on this thread you see that I had battery problems. I bought a new one but in the meantime charged the old one and added water and the old one now starts first time on the button, every time. So I have a spare battery, which will come in handy anyway. I also bought a new air filter form and put that in as the old one was black. The form was a fiver for a big sheet of it on ebay. I don't know how important the air filter is or how bad the other one really was but for the sake of a fiver it was probably worth it just to stick a new sheet in. The manual says an annual clean and to dampen the air filter form with oil before fitting it.

I'm going to take my bike for a quick run today to check that my mirror holds. After I sort the chain.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online