Downsizing from XVS1300 to XVS950

clarke
This post is 3953 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After missing my old XVS1300 (and the other half refusing to let me buy another one - women!) I replaced it with an XVS950. Not ridden it much due to the weather, but I was impressed with the responsiveness of the engine and how easy it is to turn into the bends compared to the 1300. Only issue I have so far is I turn in too much and managed to drag the boards the same amount in one day on the 950 as I did on the 1300 in 3 years...

The other half now tells me she prefers the pillion position on the 1300 to the 950, but I'll probably solo the 950 and just use the V Strom for ferrying her around.

I'll post some pics this when I can get to a computer (rather than fight my phone) and will give more of a review after I've got back out on it this weekend.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I was doing Freewheelers fundraising today and went on my 1300. Lovely day and so nice to hear my new exhaust sound!

Look forward to hearing your 950 views.

Replace the boards with pegs. More ground clearance, less scraping (and it'll look cooler too!). Keep the boards for loooong motorway journeys.

Looking forward to reading your review.

Replace the boards with pegs. More ground clearance, less scraping (and it'll look cooler too!). Keep the boards for loooong motorway journeys.

Looking forward to reading your review.

Where do the pegs fit - in place of the boards or further forwards somewhere?

They mount the same place as the boards. Remove the boards and you can replace them with either aftermarket pegs or perhaps OEM pegs for the dragstars (you'd have to check with a Yam dealer). Best to go with aftermarket ones specifically designed for the 950. Check www.customcruisers.com or www.metriccruisers.com.

Well, the bike ride was a non-starter as my brother came through but rather than go out he decided he wanted to clean his bike (VN900) then put it away as he didn't want it getting dirty - gimp!

Anyway, I've decided what the hell and will go to work on it tomorrow.

In the meantime here's a pic

IMG-20130218-WA0001_zps1d349c93.jpg

media-8.jpg

As for the floorboards, the pegs are quite expensive (no OEM ones). Unsure why the boards are mounted so low. Yamaha's website says the 950s minimum ground clearance is the same as the 1300s but I'm not convinced as I rarely scrapped the 1300 (though I found that turned in slow)

What a really great colour. I love black but your blue runs it very close.

The bike doesn't look as though it would benefit from any fancy extras other than maybe a luggage rack - which will be of benefit to the pocket.

I sat on one of these in the shop. The bars really seem wide - wider than the 1300. In fact I do struggle going between my 1300 and the FJR.

Good buy :hyper:

Unlike my 1300 which I threw loads of extras at, I'm going to keep this minimalist. As the missus doesn't like being on the back I'm going to solo it. I may fit either a fender rack or a bib and maybe some running lights. No desire to add much else.

When I first moved from the XVS125 I was picking between the 950/1300 and preferred the handlebars of the 950, but I swapped the 1300 ones with the RSTD bars which were much better.

Here's my thoughts after riding the 950 today:

It doesn't seem as plush as the 1300, eg you feel the vibrations more through the boards and the suspension seems very firm over the bumps (I need to check the settings on rear shock). The brakes are ok, the engine pulls well, it handles much better than my 1300 both in turning in and filtering so it's more of a fun ride in that respect. The boulevard (tiny) screen above the headlight does a good job of keeping wind off you too.

I'm going to have to get an open face helmet as I can only see 90mph without looking down (0-50mph is 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock). Whilst I prefer the 950s speedo looks, the 1300 is more user friendly especially with all the speed cameras on my way to work.

I think the 950 is perfect for shorter runs ie a few hours each way though I'd swap the seat. Going longer distance the 1300 engine would be much more comfortable.

Oh forgot to say, I do like the black but thought there's enough black cruisers out there. The blue is nice though I think I'd have preferred red... And if I was buying a new one, Padgetts have a white one listed which looks really great

She's certainly a beaut! Might I suggest adding either a Cobra or a Vance & Hines slip on exhaust to your list of extras? So she can sound the part too?

She's certainly a beaut! Might I suggest adding either a Cobra or a Vance & Hines slip on exhaust to your list of extras? So she can sound the part too?

What a great idea - Get a Cobra then you can buy my spare Hard Kore quiet'ish baffle for it!!

I almost bought a 2nd hand Cobra slip-on from the US for $100, but then shipping was $200 - same as a new one shipped. it'll probably be next year now :(

• 2 weeks later...

I went for a longer ride on this at the weekend, nice laid-back approach to riding which I've kinda missed since loosing the 1300. One thing I noticed is I've got to do something about the rear shock setting as I think its shattered my spine!

hi graham, glad your back on an XVS, looking good, still got my 1300, latest additions are 'national cycle' clear handguards, a radiator protector (black alloy mesh screen) and white wall tyres. Hope you are keeping well.

rather than hijack your thread, ive sent you a pm

Cheers Phil. Like the sound of the radiator cover - sounds like the one I was after for my 1300. I'm going to add little to nothing to this one as its only going to be a solo ride/summer toy. Hopefully we'll get some warmer weather soon so I can get out on it a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

Well looks like I'm going to have to sell this one due to change in work circumstances :( Definitely a bike I'd buy again...

Cheers. I'm still keeping the V-Strom - had to pick between them, but as I don't have a car figured the V would be the more practical all rounder. I'll get another cruiser at some point (love cruisers & learned to ride on a XVS125) and as said above it'll probably be the 950...

• 1 month later...

hi there, is those pics taken in a dealer yard from rochdale, clarkegray? I was here few times when I search for my next bike. I feel like I saw that yard before :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online