Chains not lasting

Grouch
This post is 4002 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm on my second chain and sprocket set since March, the latest one is a top quality one and I have had to tighten it three times already from getting it a few months ago. The problem is there is not enough space left at the end of the swing arm to keep tightening it, therefore before long I will be on set number three!

I regularly clean and lube the chain with good quality lube.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had to tighten my stock chain a few times but not as frequently. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's safe to remove one to two links from the chain if you don't have any adjusting space left on the swing arm.

I've had to tighten my stock chain a few times but not as frequently. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's safe to remove one to two links from the chain if you don't have any adjusting space left on the swing arm.

Yes this would work but are all links split links????????

I think it depends on the chain. You'll have to look for the master link. The only time I removed a link on a chain was on my bicycle and that required a bit of grinding, not sure if this is a good approach on a motorcycle chain though.

Have you changed the sprocket sizes? This can mess up how much adjustment you can do. What brand is the chain? O ring/Xring?

How far back the adjustment is the new chain when you fit it ? are yuo tightening it to much ? sit on the bike put as much of your weight as possible on it . (Beside a wall put hand on wall and lift both feet ) so the swingarm /supension compresses and get someone to check the tension witht he supension compressed, if it is to tight back it of until correct then note the slack so you can DIY next time

A good chain should last thousands of miles, if its set correctly and kept in good shape. You can shorten them, search for chainbreaker tools on the tinterweb. Depending on the type of chain, you can get split links and rivet type links, for the rivet type youll also need a chain riveting tool. Once youve bought the tools, youve gotem forever.

If your using the standard size sprockets and length chain and you've run out of adjustment then it sounds like the chain and sprockets and worn out and it;s Not advisable to take links out. As mervin has suggested check the tension with you sitting on the bike as most chains tighten up when you compress the suspension as the chain will be at it's tightest point with the front sprocket centre, swinging arm pivot and rear axle centre are all in line. The chain slack printed in your owners manual should allow for this. Most trail bikes have quite a bit of slack to allow for the rear suspension compressing and if you look at some pictures of motocross bikes the chain seems to be virtually hanging off and it always amazes me how they don't come off the sprockets. What chain lube are you using? as I've found that the wax type ones don't seem to get into the pins and rollers where it's needed and i'd only use a wax type to go over a normal chain lube to help stop the normal lube throwing off.

To check if a chain at the end it's adjustment can safely be shortened, pull the link which is touching the rear sprocket halfway around the run (imagine a line extending from the swingarm, and the link that this line intersects). If that link can visibly be pulled away from the sprocket, then provided the chain has the correct amount of slack it is knackered (rollers are worn-out).

How much slack does your bike run? Are sure you are not running it too tight and this accelerating the wear-rate? What are you lubing with? I've seen chains as tight as bow strings and people lubing with WD40 in my time!!

If your using the standard size sprockets and length chain and you've run out of adjustment then it sounds like the chain and sprockets and worn out and it;s Not advisable to take links out.

This is correct never remove links unless its brand new. Removing links from a worn chain and refitting will eventually snap and caused damage or worse wrap around your leg. :wacko:

This is correct never remove links unless its brand new. Removing links from a worn chain and refitting will eventually snap and caused damage or worse wrap around your leg. :wacko:

Ouch, that could cause some right damage to your leg, especially if your not wearing boots.

Something seriously wrong with your set-up Grouch.

My DT has done 10,000 kilometers on its origional chain and sprockets, and still a few miles left yet.

I'm all for the above picture, its how I've looked after all non 'o' ring chains I've ever had.

If you're bikes trashing chains its either; worn sprokets, bent frame, lack of maintenance

Yep, as per my post in your breakdown thread.

Thanks DT, wasn't doubting your opinion from the other thread, just thought I'd ask Speedshop.

It's all getting sorted tomorrow. Then I'm doing all the work on it from then on.