Kawasaki GPz 750 R Problem

davie6711
This post is 4020 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey Blackhat,

It's about the right era to be fair but when i used to hang about "doon the splash", The Esplanade, at 16 I had an MT-5 then at 17 a 125 Wet Dream and then the Holy Grail RD125 LC in the Blue!!!! The names are familiar but I would probably have known them either by a nickname or more likely by what bikes they were on. If the had bigger bikes wi no L plates they would've ignored us anyway!

What did you ride then mate?

Davie.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey All,

Sad lack of progress as of now due to overwork!

I had a quick ten minute fart about yesterday and thought before I remove the carbs again why not try and see if she'll start. Not started in 6 years. I turned the fuel tap on which filled up the carbs and again started pishing everywhere and put on the booster pack. There's no big finale here btw but she tried and tried and then backfired a couple of times but sadly no. Nearly but no.

Can you spray easystart on to cone filters? The GPz is at another site in Helensburgh where I just happen to be working tomorrow so if it's quiet i'll remove the carbs again but it would be nice to see her running again to further bolster my resolve and enthusiasm.

The more I think about it while the carbs will be off and knowing that one of the diaphragms is damaged it may be best to replace them. Do you need to replace them all? One of them had a 1cm tear right at the edge but when I put them back together I managed to catch the torn edges together by tightening the top in to the tear so do I need to replace them?

As always all of your input is appreciated.

Davie.

Hi All,

A little progress......but not much.

I decided eventually that if i'm going to do this I might as well do it right so thanks to some welcome advice on here and a helpful link to an ebay seller I tried to get a carb repair kit for this bike but they all seemed to be for the earlier air cooled version. The ones that were available were mega expensive and as far as i can see anyway it's the diaphragm I need not really the rest.

Anyway after emailing loadsa places I have to mention Z1 Enterprises in the States who sent me an incredibly kind and helpful email with a link to a UK firm called NRP carb parts or summat like that and they do supply new diaphragms for £30 not £78 plus VAT quoted elsewhere so thank you to them.

Sorry for this long ramble but before I remove the carbs again I gave it a try again using some easystart and she went straight away!!!!! I am delighted.

I'll post some pics when the carbs are off again.

Cheers All.

have you tried to get it running with the orginal air box, as the pods may have mixed up the fueling/ jetting.

Drewpy,

Sorry mate I missed that somehow?

no probs, there is a state-side company that sells just diaphrams if you want excitement from the US :D

At least she fires up and you know she will be a good-en.

Just sort out the small bits,,,,,,,,,, the ones that cost the most :zzz:

Hey All,

Well I brought thehe carbs home last night, put them on the kitchen table and pulled them to bits. I THINK i've seen the problem causing them to overflow.....on one of the outside carbs the wee thingymyjig that's attached to the float was basically not attached and lying free in the float bowl. Eureeka cries me! So I reattached it. EASY so far.

Now I got to the knackered diaphragm..................Simple I think off with the old and on with the new one.......2 hours later, completely frustrated, the Missus is in a stinker of a mood cos the kitchen stinks of fuel and the FECKIN thiing's still not on. In frustration I have now consumed half of a bottle of nice Scapa Malt a customer gave me and chucked the whole lot in a plastic bag and gone to bed. Now, a 7.15am all I have to show for my endeavours is a smelly kitchen, a miffed woman and a hangover!

Drewpy thanks for the instructions, i'll look at them later and post up some photo's.

Cheers All!

Hey,

Hangover gone so now for some photo's

IMG_1646_zps08ecbf1b.jpg

After the tops are removed

IMG_1644_zpsa666d588.jpg

Look at the state of this lot! Do you think it's ok to steam clean this lot? Obviously would block off the bores.....

IMG_1642_zpscff87870.jpg

Hey All,

I'm now stuck! Can anyone please help?

I need to fit the new diaphragm to the slide if that's the correct name?? I'm scared that i'm going to tear it or is there another way? As you'll see in the photo's....

IMG_1657_zps44b74c06.jpg

Both parts....

IMG_1659_zpsb2fc9e05.jpg

Does this come apart to allow for easy fitting of the new diaphragm or do I need to simply stretch it to fit?

Davie

not sure about that but i was taught to do one body at a time to avoid mixing the parts up and putting them back in the wrong body.

it may or it may not, but the guy who showed me to strip and clean carbs always said one at a time

Aye davie " soak rubber in Warm water, then fit it, i had a new whole slide, and a mate took it for his GPZ 600 , he say you can still get them,, am awaiting its return,, are you at the show this weekend, :spin2:

hard to see where it fits with 2 photos! never saw the original setup properly.

can't tell if the new diaphragm holes are a lot smaller or its the way you stitched the pictures togther!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online