1994 Yamaha Virago 750

nickjp19
This post is 4056 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Sup guys?

I was looking for you're guys input on a bike. First off, I'm a new rider, first bike purchase, 22 years old, 160 lbs. I was looking into buying a Yamaha Virago 750. 14,500 miles. Clean title, Says it has no problems and from pictures so far looks very clean. So I was wondering what's your guys' opinions/reviews of this bike? Good first bike? Good cruiser bike but still enough power to have fun? Any common maintenance?

Really looking forward to buying a bike, just wanted to see what y'all think.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If this is your very FIRST bike and you have never riden before then "YOUR GOING TO DIE" :shakeno: unless you have all the training that is out there BEFORE you even get on it, your local news paper will have loads of obit's on people who have died and if you go online you will find that riding a bike is (if your not trained) lethal, just check out your Governments stastistics on how many riders died in the last year in your country. You say your 22 years old and want to have fun, well it's out there but not for you just yet. If you buy this bike and take no training before you ride it I give you 2 months before your in hospital or on the news as a headline :crazy: . I'm not having a go at you just telling you that this is a really BAD idea, do your training and ride a small bike for a couple of years and then you might be ready for this machine but not before.

By the way I'm 60 years old and have been riding since I was 14, been in Hospital a few times but all when I was your age so ignore me if you want but being an old fart means I get to tell you the truth about bikes there fun exciting and bloody frightening at times, please think carefully about this before you do it.

Hi Nick, when you say you are a new rider, dare one say that you have passed your motorcycle test and hold a full licence?

If you have had experience on a smaller bike then go for it................ BUT, if this is your first bike ever, then as Slice says

do your training and ride a small bike for a couple of years and then you might be ready for this machine

Were not trying to put you off biking, it's just that we don't like hearing about bikers being in RTA's (road traffic accidents) on "Real A&E Emergencies" which often appear on our freeview channels on tv.

I appreciate the information guys! And the concern. If purchased this bike would be split between my roommate and I. He is an experienced rider so hopefully he could teach me what I need to know. But do you guys know if its a carb bike or fuel injected?

I appreciate the information guys! And the concern. If purchased this bike would be split between my roommate and I. He is an experienced rider so hopefully he could teach me what I need to know. But do you guys know if its a carb bike or fuel injected?

Carburetors

51HP

Weigth 520 lbs

Top speed approx 110mph

1/4 mile from standing start 13.7 secs

Tank range 110miles

Air cooled

Shaft drive

Comfy ride, nicely balanced, reliable motor, plenty of low down torque

Now this is just my two penneth' I own a 1992 750 Virago and am still training for my full licence. I am 57 and have not ridden a bike since back in the 70's. I regularly ride the schools bikes Suzuki 500 and now the Kwak ER6 and have ridden the Virago off road a couple of times. I find the Virago a very sedate ride compared to the others and easier to handle even though it is pretty heavy (I am very short and light) This is my first bike but I have been training on the schools machines for around two months now. I would personally go fot it but get some training in first.

Carburetors

51HP

Weigth 520 lbs

Top speed approx 110mph

1/4 mile from standing start 13.7 secs

Tank range 110miles

Air cooled

Shaft drive

Comfy ride, nicely balanced, reliable motor, plenty of low down torque

Thanks for that information man. I kept searching specs and it did not give me any info on either carb or fuel injected... Do you think the carb can cause some problems since most new vehicles are fuel injected? Also, is there a high chance of overheating with the air cooled engine, for example sitting in traffic?

Thanks

Hi again Nick, Ok so your going to do this then so first off when your in traffic the bike will get hot but not so bad as to be a problem really and you have the added benefit of being able to filter between the other vehicles so keeping the air flow over the cylinders, just remember that you should not filter at speed, for example if all the other traffic of toddling along at 10 mph you can wimble your way through at a few mph more than them but if they are moving at say 30mph you should stay in place as cars WILL not see you when they change lanes and scoop you off, just be sensible and it's no problem.

As for carbs well as long as they are balanced properly they should behave themselves, don't know where you got the idea that carbs are more problem than injectors cos there old tech and most of the problems result from incorrect adjustment rather than the difference to other means of delivering fuel to the cylinder. If your friend is any sort of rider he will tell you most of this anyway and if he doe's not know then it's time to buy a manual and find out yourself. One last point, PLEASE get some training BEFORE you get on this thing I may sound like you Dad but it's really important that you understand this thing before you launch your self down the road. :jossun:

Lane splitting/filtering on motorcycles is illegal in the US... except for California (I think). :eusa_think:

Thanks for that information man. I kept searching specs and it did not give me any info on either carb or fuel injected... Do you think the carb can cause some problems since most new vehicles are fuel injected? Also, is there a high chance of overheating with the air cooled engine, for example sitting in traffic?

Thanks

Carbs shouldnt be any bother provided that they are set up correctly. Try to avoid using fuel that contains ethanol, can cause problems with older vehicles

Dont know where you are in the States, but use youre common sense regarding the engine. Dont leave it running if your stuck at lights/traffic jam etc in hot weather for more than a few minutes, switch off

Dont overfill the engine with oil, jusy halfway up the sightglass

ViragoStar Owners Club is a useful source of info

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online