headlight doesnt work

freebrd1975
This post is 4050 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi. i have a 74 yamaha dt 360 and the headlight does not have any fire in the headlight plug. where do i go to next to check it.i have lights on the speedometer and the tachometer. any help would be greatly appreciated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

I think to get a better technical response you will have to do a bit more fault finding,

Such as:

have you checked the head lamp bulb or sealed unit ‘whichever your bike has fitted’, have you lost both low and high beam,is there electrickery present at the head lamp plug, and have you removed the head light and checked inside the head lamp bowl to see check that the terminals which link the head lamp plug leads to the harness are connected,

‘btw’, is the DT 360 like my DT 175? The head lamp is selected with the second click on the ignition switch, and not with the L/H handle bar switch, the L/H switch set on my bike has a side/pilot light function a head lamp high/low function and the indicator selector switch,

Aj

Not sure about the 360 but most DT's run a separate coil for the main headlights. This comes from the magneto and then to the lighting switch and on to the headlight. This is completely different to the gauge lights which work from the battery. If you have checked the plug behind the headlight and this had no power, what you need to do is start to check where the power stops - this assumes that the coil in the magneto is generating power in the first place. From the headlight plug, follow the wire through the headlight bowl and back to the handlebar light switch checking where the last place there is power to this circuit. It may be worth a look at the www.slimduck.com website.

thank you for your responses. i'm gonna have to find somewhere to check the lighting coil. is there anywhere you can check the lighting coil without taking the cover off. i have checked the light plug at the headlight with the engine running and there's no power. any help would be greatly appreciated

hi . thanks for all of your responses. now i have the problem of blowing the head light . is there a regulator on this bike,because it looked like a 150 watt house bulb until it blew. this could get expensive buying bulbs

I don't think there is a regulator. It might be worth looking to retro fit one. Before you do anything get a multimeter on the headlight circuit and see what volts are going to the headlight bulb at various revs. Do the same for the battery. Is it 6v?