Been a while - New Bike

jrhendryx
This post is 3974 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

It's been a while since I posted last. Still have my xs500b, and it's running as well as it ever has, but I recently bought an 03 YZF 600R. Currently making sure that everything there is all good, and trying to decide whether to sell my 500, or hold onto it and slowly turn it into a full cafe racer.... odds are, that's a pipe dream. Too much money that I could be spending on other things.

In the meantime, heres the newest addition to my garage. The Fox and Skin decals are going to be the first to go.....

photo5_zpsf7fea86a.jpg

photo3_zpse5240b8c.jpg

photo2_zpsd793080f.jpg

photo1_zpsaf310f6a.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Oh she's very pretty JR, you lucky boy I hope you have fun with it. :jossun:

Good buy jr" keep the Xs500 unless you need the cash, its a true classic,, and will appreciate some day,,, :yeah:

The cash would come in handy... So would the garage space.

So I'm riding it down the road yesterday, and the oil level (not pressure) light is on. I know the oil level is correct, because I check it every day, so I assume its a sensor fault and just ignore it.

I'm thinking to myself "Self, it's pretty cool that this bike has a low fuel light. I wonder when it'll turn on."

Sputtersputter-cough-silence.

Ffffffffffuuuuuuuuu...

Turns out, the oil level sensor is just fine. The previous owner switched the wires at some point, hooking the low fuel wire to the oil light. Good times.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, tell me about it. Replacing the fox one with a tank protector. Might have someone cut me some YZF decals for the tail to replace the Skin ones. Kind of like how they break up the tail section, but not the stickers themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw some on eBay but none that really fit what I want. I'd like to somehow integrate the Thundercats logo with the YZF letters. I've found a few ideas online, but nothing that's exactly right.

• 1 month later...

I was just looking at your Thunderace thread, and was going to mention a site that I spend a lot of time on: yzf600r.com.

They've got a big forum board with people that own the 600 and 1000. A lot of them have gone with the r6 rear shock to improve handling. It requires a special adapter to mount the shorter r6 rear shock to the bigger 600r under-seat mount. These bikes are really set up from the factory for someone in the 130-170 lb range. At about 200, or 230 fully geared up, I'm well over the weight suggestion for this bike, and a lot of people who are my size have also added stiffer front springs and internals to the forks. I'm not sure if I'll go with RaceTech front springs or Progressive ones, but that's a discussion I'm preparing to have over on the other forum with those guys since so many of them have done it to their bikes.

My bike is a second hand, poorly treated, beaten up workhorse, but I love it to death. Things I'd like to do to it include a factory pro shift kit to improve shifts and avoid the dreaded "2nd gear failure" that these bikes are prone to, a Corbin seat for those longer rides, some kind of hard luggage setup that doesn't involve cutting the plastics apart (there aren't any made specifically to fit the 600), and possibly a jet kit.

Honestly though, it's pretty much stock and I don't have anything I feel like I absolutely have to get done to it. The only modification I've done since I purchased it was to install a radiator fan bypass that allows me to turn the fan on whenever I like. It was pretty simple, and helps keep the bike running much cooler when I get stuck in traffic. Oh, I also went down a tooth on the front sprocket to make it a little bit sportier in town. Stock gearing is 15/47, and I went with a 14/47 (JT sprockets and 108 link EK o-ring chain).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online