dtr wont rev out, sounds different

kenDAWG
This post is 4063 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey people..

ive noticed on my last 2 outings on my trusty steed that she doesnt seem as healthy as she was, im going to try explain whats happening and what ive done...

well going through the revs i can get her up to 9,000rpm but she starts to run out of guts i mean if i get her into 4th on the flat there doesnt feel any kinda pull no feel to go up to the next gear but if you do the revs drop off and i have to shift down again.

i am missing the feel of the powerband its just a steady rise in rpm

i was getting max 45mph - 50mph (hard pushing) on a 60mph road wich was a little frustrating knowing i have been along the road before 60mph no problem with more in the bank!!

ive noticed the tone of exhaust has completely changed to a low down noise and its actually uncomftable on my ears.

now what i have done so far----\/

new plug-cleaned and oiled air filter-drained carb-checked powervalve

ive been at a loss until a friend of mine has suggested the end can could need repacking??

are any of the above symptoms that of a simple repacking needed to my little dep silencer???

cheers

ken

p/s if it is indeed the silencer how easy is it to repack?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's easy to do ken just drill out the rivets and puull off the end, then pull out the perforated tube and the packing.

best to stay clear of the fiberglass strand type of packing, go for the sheet stuff. It does make a difference but it would be just speculation to think that this is the reason...could be other reasons?

Stator screws loose and timing slipped? Thats an easy one to check if you have the tools

is the PV working and aligned right?

hmmmm stator i havent checked that...

yeh powervalve is aligned and servo works as it should!

i have already bought the sheet stuff as i thought it would be easyer to do only cost £8-

ken

How many miles. Could be rings or needing a decoke.

How is the coolant. Level changed. Smell funny or have oil in it.

Looked at the coolant other day seems fine also the level is as it was when I flushed the old stuff out!! Temperature stays the same about 1/4 of temp bar....

Ill do a compression check and I've also bought the exhaust stuff and a rivet gun so ill do it anyway-might get the expansion chamber de-coked.

Ken

Its generally the pipe out of the exp ch that chokes things. Length of old garden hose shoved in the back might show a difference. Certainly easy

I see what you mean, the thinnest part of the exhaust system!! Ill be pulling the whole dep system off and having a good look at it.

Cheers for all the suggestions lads appreciate it :)

Ken