What essential tools do you carry on your bike/person?

j0hn
This post is 4046 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My dad has a habit of hiding a small amount of "emergency" cash in the car, maybe around £5 to £10. That little panel is just enough to fit a £5 note :D.

That's a good point. Back at college my ex always had an emergency fiver hidden in his wallet. His bike would run forever on a fiver of fuel!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Baby wipes. Never leave home without them. You just never know when you might need them........

Just a point on the iridium plugs, i went from using the standard copper-core NGK plugs to the iridium equivelant (same heat rating e.t.c) on the XJ600 and i did notice an improvement in mid/top end pick-up particularly when going from part to full throttle, may have just been a placebo effect or black magic, either way i was pretty happy with the iridiums.

will treat the fireblade and the XJ Turbo to a set next :)

Just a point on the iridium plugs, i went from using the standard copper-core NGK plugs to the iridium equivelant (same heat rating e.t.c) on the XJ600 and i did notice an improvement in mid/top end pick-up particularly when going from part to full throttle, may have just been a placebo effect or black magic, either way i was pretty happy with the iridiums.

will treat the fireblade and the XJ Turbo to a set next :)

That's settled then, I'm switching to iridium.

Tools that came with the bike, zip ties, electrical tape, first aid kit & warning triangle helmet cover (still there from France), breakdown card and phone.

I have a small bike tool kit (present from missus), few glow sticks, Crafty Plugger tube and three CO2 canisters under my seat...

I just can't recommend the Crafty Pluggers kit enough. I just cut them in half so I have 20 strips! Helped me out a few times now. I have breakdown cover, but screw waiting for an hour or two in the rain or dark!

I am on my bike almost every day, so the odds quickly stack up against a good run of no flat tires...

Tools that came with the bike, zip ties, electrical tape, first aid kit & warning triangle helmet cover (still there from France), breakdown card and phone.

Yep got just about the same myself no helmet cover ? and a 'petit clé anglais' (little adjustable)..... plus 2 front engine bolts!! reason being the one and only time I had a technical stop (embarrassing effd-up gearchange/overtake/chain jump sprocket maneouvre) after refitting the chain I checked her over and there they were...gone??????? Sure they were there that morning, definately a pre-ride check now.

Oh yea nearly forgot the obligatory breath test kits (2)

I had breath kits there too but took them out when came back... Think I read recently the French govt have postponed the requirement to carry these now...??

Got the warning triangle helmet cover/bag from Hein Gericke, saves loads of space. May have needed warning triangle for Germany...?

+1 on (blue) loctite

I had breath kits there too but took them out when came back... Think I read recently the French govt have postponed the requirement to carry these now...??

Got the warning triangle helmet cover/bag from Hein Gericke, saves loads of space. May have needed warning triangle for Germany...?

+1 on (blue) loctite

From what I understand the law for the kits was scheduled for July last year but the 'period of grace' was extended to November due to supply problems, and I filched the triangle from my van when I sold it cos I had some auto-route riding to do, dont think its obligatory for two wheels.

I bought the bike from a 'depôt vente' ie private sale but the bike was in the shop.

After losing the bolts I returned to the dealer with my tale of woe and Michel the guv sourced 4 bolts for me fitted two (loctited) and put the other2 in my hand with a wry grin (Gratis but more to the point, not his responsibility) we stayed good buddies until he closed down last year, like a good few businesses round here.

• 1 month later...

Hi Clarkgray,

quick update re the breath kits, it is now no longer obligatory to carry any but is recommended. Seems weird but then when its one of Sarkozy's mates has a factory that makes..........breath-test kits all becomes clear.

Hi Clarkgray,

quick update re the breath kits, it is now no longer obligatory to carry any but is recommended. Seems weird but then when its one of Sarkozy's mates has a factory that makes..........breath-test kits all becomes clear.

Ahhh! It all makes sense now. The fucking establishment looking after their own.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online