Does anyone listen to music whilst riding?

ExiledBacchus
This post is 4067 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

It seems like it would be a bad idea but since getting back on the bike Ive been considering earplugs as motorway wind noise is colossal.

So I may as well be listening to music(?)

I know some cars have trick systems that automatically increase/decrease volume in line with road speed. Anything exist like that for bikers?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Mate, i have tried listening to my MP3 player while riding the bobber, but with my open faces SS skid lid all i get is wind noise and the grumble from the open pipes so no point me listening to any Black sabbath or what not.

Kev's play list consists of Justin Boobley and the Spice Girls! :biglaugha::eusa_whistle:

The Mrs hates silence, so always has the iPod on when she rides.

I can't abide distractions and greatly prefer listening to the engine when I'm going.

I have one of those fancy bluetooth thingys in my helmet connects to my phone and can listen to music or take calls, it's ok when I have the flip front down and works quite well but with the front up it's not worth the bother,don't find it distracting on the motorway but would not use it when riding in town or country roads, to many muppets trying to kill me, my lid cost about £60 off of good old ebay and was a doddle to setup it is also one of the quietest helmets I have ever had, tried using ear plugs but really uncomfortable plus you can't turn them off if you need to hear something. :jossun:

Tried listening to music but found it too distracting too.

Had some bloke on a Goldwing, awhile back, come next to me at the lights listening to Magic FM at some silly volume.. couldn't help think he was a prat!.. (not for listening to Magic fm though!).

As a pillion I'm never without music.

As a rider I've never tried it, but the silence doesn't bother me. Once I have my full licence and I'm racking up more miles I'll probably end up getting a Bluetooth thingy for my helmet. But would make sure it's something I can turn off easily when needed.

At the moment I use earplugs. Took a bit of getting used to, but really does reduce noise and stops my head buzzing at the end of a longer jaunt. However, as Slice said, you can't turn them off. I've been caught out at a petrol station where someone decided to talk to me from across the forecourt and I didn't have a clue what they were saying. It was a pain in the arse.

If you go down the earplug route I wouldn't recommend buying those cheap yellow tube ones. I instead picked up a pair of Oxford Moldex ones. Still cheap, but a better shape design. I squeeze them into a narrow shape instead of rolling them as they spring back faster. Also if you're pushing them in and making them squash up, then you haven't done it right and they will irritate you. You instead want them to slide into the ear canal comfortably and then leave them to return to their normal shape. That way they will stay in place for hours, and cut out more noise.

I normally sing to myself. Better than any MP3 player for 2 reasons:

1) I can sing what I like at anytime

2) I can't really hear myself

I normally sing to myself. Better than any MP3 player for 2 reasons:

1) I can sing what I like at anytime

2) I can't really hear myself

Brilliant! December included the full cheesy Christmas soundtrack rattling around my lid. I'm ashamed to say...

I always use earplugs. I sometimes listen to music from my phone via scala rider bluetooth headset. The scala rider adjusts volume with speed and I can turn music on/off, volume up/down and select tracks. It has an inbuilt radio too though the reception isn't great. If I do listen to music I tend to have it so it's just audible so I can still hear traffic around.

Cheers for your comments all.

@Clarkegray the Scala kit looks interesting:

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-g4

Ill look into that, maybe there'll be some on demo at the London Expo MCN show next week

I swear by acoustic earplugs. They allow you to hear the bike, traffic noise and music, unlike the foam earplugs. I used to buy Alpine earplugs but then found the Q-Zone ones on Amazon for about a third of the price. Highly recommended and can be used whilst listening to music, which I do on every single ride, no matter how short. I used to only listen to music on long trips but have a Sena bluetooth headset in both full face and Shoei Neotech flip front now.

Cheers for your comments all.

@Clarkegray the Scala kit looks interesting:

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-g4

Ill look into that, maybe there'll be some on demo at the London Expo MCN show next week

I can recommend G4. I got the G4 powerset from an Italian website which was about £150 cheaper than UK. G9 has since been released.

Cheers Curly, this looks really good as well.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/400/9590/Motorcycle-Article/SENA-Bluetooth-Motorcycle-Headset-Review.aspx

Although it doesn't rave about the mp3 sound quality but what is your opinion?

Whilst i'm researching (scrapping the cash together ) for one of these units, I picked up some ear buds from work.

I've gotta say it made such a difference listening to the Black Keys over the howling banshees, rather than just the banshees on their own.

I also clearly need a louder exhaust :-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=helmet+earphones&_sacat=0&_from=R40

have been thinking of trying these, what with the road trip coming up and a possible 6 to 8 hours a day riding, it could get boring.

Hey Beef, Ive gotta say its early days but Im loving the music in the lid, totally transformed my motorway commute.

I'd be interested to hear those mini speakers over ear buds (I do like a wee bit of bass ).

Please let us know how you get on mate

Ive tried listening to music while riding, but i didnt like the loss of awareness. The sound of the engine is good enough for me and of course my (purposely) bad singing and ranting.....

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online