bike keeps cutting out in wet weather

antfarmery
This post is 4062 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi need help i have a sachs zx 125 2 stroke ive been told it is a yamaha dt engine my question is when it rains the bike will cut out then start cut out start etc i have changed the coil plug lead and plug plus cap a friend of mine said it could be the magneto (seams to be ok in dry weather) can any one help me out or give me advice please

thanks antony

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

like grouch syas introduce yourself first...

have a look at the magneto see what condition it is in, if water is getting in there you will find signs of corrosion could just need a good clean up/light dust with sand paper and some instant gasket around the cover.

you will never know until you crack the case off

ken

hi need help i have a sachs zx 125 2 stroke ive been told it is a yamaha dt engine my question is when it rains the bike will cut out then start cut out start etc i have changed the coil plug lead and plug plus cap a friend of mine said it could be the magneto (seams to be ok in dry weather) can any one help me out or give me advice please

thanks antony

Run that by me again Ant?

My money is on the coil lead tracking across to earth , is there a rubber boot both on the coil side and the plug cap.

Use NGK or Champion caps but just add some silicone sealer into the lead ot eliminate any chance of water ingress,

Also worth checking the positive lead to the coil and check the earth points at the coil, eliminate this area and work you

way back to the CDI unit and the generator coil.

TTB

Sorry I'd have to disagree, oilbased products should not be put anywhere near the ignition. It may be a bodge that'll get you home but it adds to the problems by providing a source of material that readily breaks down to form a coductive film.

We get sent ignition systems for testing, those covered in WD40 or insulation tape (holds water and muck) tend to prove to be completely scrap needing all the parts replacing. Those left dry can often be saved by just a new lead or coil.

have you checked the air filter?

mate of mine has a cg125 and it was running like crap in the rain and for a couple of days after the rain.

we checked through it and found that the air filter was soaked. did a bit of lookng over and figured out how it was getting wet. sorted that issue and dried the filter and all is good....

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online