Gear shift becoming loose and slipping.

oscarfs
This post is 4064 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all,

I'm fairly new to biking. I have had my YBR125 for around 4 months but haven't spent much time riding over the winter.

The snow has melted here in hertfordshire and this week I have been riding to university. I have noticed that my gear shift seems to become loose, as in I shift up then the shifter becomes loose and I can't put pressure on it ready to shift up again. This only seems to happen when I am in second gear.

I am going to change the oil tomorrow but I am wondering if there could be a serious problem with my gearbox? Or if it is possibly becoming loose and may need a tighten?

I am quite a beginner with motorbikes as I mentioned earlier and I am hoping this isn't a major problem but I am unable to determine this.

Thanks all for any help you may give,

Oscar.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My haynes manual will be arriving tomorrow, Im guessing it will tell me how to tighten it in there? Or is it a mechanic job?

Cheers guys.

Once ive shifted up from first to second its then that it goes all floppy and to sort it out I pull my clutch in and shift up just as normal but its not right that it goes all loose in between im sure.

Make shure you aint resting your boot on lever, let it reset ready for next shift.

Im with you on this one john. Second has much more travel because your clearing neutral.

Boot issue more than bike issue.

If there is no "slight" grinding then your syncro should be fine.......this is if like mentioned before that linkage is not loose. Some harleys do this but its typically loose in between all gears. This is caused by either a weak shift return spring or a misadjusted shifter pawl, both of which are located in the trans case. If the shifter flops its due to the return spring that has lost tension and will need replacing. Typically that is a crap job that will probably require a mechanic if your not that inclined. If its pawl adjustment then let me know and i can walk you throught it. For your sake though i hope its a loose boot or shift clamp linkage. :eusa_doh:

Hmm really hope its not a mechanic job. Got my manual today and fuck its not very helpful with the gear shift lever.

To be honest I have no idea what the cause is, its been pretty crappy weather today so I didn't get a chance to have a thorough look at it.

So in the last week I have noticed two things happen:

1. The gear lever will just suddenly go floppy when i'm shifting up from 1st to 2nd.

2. The gear will shift up with little pressure on the lever and when the clutch is not pulled in( I know this can happen anyway but i've never noticed it happen before for me)

After then shifting up the I don't have any problems and I can put pressure onto it ready to shift up.

What does this problem sound like? And how can I diagnose what the problem is so I can find a way to fix it?

Thanks all.

sloppy syncro mesh fork would be where i would look then. keep in mind that the travel is further between 1st and 2nd due to the neutral. this is where most riders experience probs at. typical issues are due to missed shifts goin from 1 to 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, weathers been crap and haven't been out much but I think I've figured what the problem is. Basically my clutch is getting stuck open, thinking after the week of not being used and heavy snow maybe the clutch cable is getting stuck open?? or does it sound like it might be something more serious?

The floppy gear lever was due to the clutch being open and then that's why I had the problem with shifting up.

What's the best way to see if its my cable or the clutch?

Cheers all,

Oscar.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online