R1 crossplane hard starts

129crossplane
This post is 4100 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have been reading a lot lately about hard starts and rattling/ticking noises in R1s of different years. I purchased mine used last year with intentions of making a track bike out of it. After a week or so I too noticed the famous "ticking" sounds they love to produce. I took it to the wizard here in Tennessee and found that the cct was in fact bunk and replaced it.This did help some with the hard starts, I'm guessing that it caused improper timing issues. We checked the fuel maps and found them to be right on for stock settings. Still after a few days of sitting it is hard to start. Any other ideas???

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have been reading a lot lately about hard starts and rattling/ticking noises in R1s of different years. I purchased mine used last year with intentions of making a track bike out of it. After a week or so I too noticed the famous "ticking" sounds they love to produce. I took it to the wizard here in Tennessee and found that the cct was in fact bunk and replaced it.This did help some with the hard starts, I'm guessing that it caused improper timing issues. We checked the fuel maps and found them to be right on for stock settings. Still after a few days of sitting it is hard to start. Any other ideas???

Yam really balls-up the timing-chain tensioner on that version.....

When you say fuel-maps, do you mean PC maps? if yes, and you have had probs, best to remove your PC and get it out of the loop (and maybe eliminate it), some of map files on the dynojet site are reported to be duff.

Also due to the big-bangs 'lumpy compression' characteristic, you may find the cpR1 starts better with a little bit of throttle, the reason is that it bleeds a little air in and reduces the additional load [vacuum-demand] on the starter.

not sure if the above helps - good luck.

Thanks for the insight.....as for the maps it had a power commander 3 that the previous owner had installed. Im not sure what type of mapping he did (if any) but i noticed the lights were constantly flickering on it. (pc3) I tested it and even reset it and found the unit to be bad which is what I think burned up the throttle pos sensor on it. Removed the pc3 and found it to be faulty, replaced the tps and put it on comp to see if ranges,voltage and the such were close and all was good. I'll try opening the throttle some as soon as the damn battery charges up again. Thats not the first time I have heard of ppl having to crack the throttle on them. Some say its cause of the cross crank