My project featuring possibly the ugliest bike in the world - XJ650 turbo

robbiemcvee
This post is 4017 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all, i've had quite a few bikes in the past but none supposes this one for the most ugly bike in the world..

The bike does have some history that im trying to find out about - belonging to The Combe Martin Motorcycle Collection at some point in its life – anyone heard of this place?

Here it is after i got it home

IMG_20110914_154156.jpg

Ive stripped the plastic down to see what the condition is and started looking at starting it..

IMG_20110915_123255.jpg

IMG_20110915_123306.jpg

I've now had it over a year - much to my misses annoyance, i'll be starting a thread for the restoration...

hello - i hope i enjoy this ride??

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Great pictures. Some might say ugly but it is "of it's age" It looks clean and not messed with which is always a good start.

Looks like the turbo is gone so that make it a 650 in turbo body.But a clean bike to start with.

Looks like a great project! :)...I favour the first post by oldbikerehab, it would make a NICE cafe cruiser!

I remember the Combe Martin M/c Collection as I lived in Combe Martin for 5 years. In fact I lived across the road from it more or less

Can't remember seeing that there though. :welcome: to the forum

Thanks for the welcome, its still got the turbo, its on the other side, ive thought of 2 things for it.. a full restore or a cafe, the 750 tank and seat should fit.. but first to get it running right, ive just had the carbs cleaned locally but there is no fuel coming out the middle bowls, so they need to come off...

So what happened to the motorcycle collection, I suspect this was at the back to not frighten people off

Thanks for the welcome, its still got the turbo, its on the other side, ive thought of 2 things for it.. a full restore or a cafe, the 750 tank and seat should fit.. but first to get it running right, ive just had the carbs cleaned locally but there is no fuel coming out the middle bowls, so they need to come off...

So what happened to the motorcycle collection, I suspect this was at the back to not frighten people off

:D:)

turns out the bloke who did the carbs didn't take the fuel bowls out and clean the float valve, so when i pulled it all apart, it was covered in sludge. Anyway, put it all back together and it still wouldn't start. Squirted some carb cleaner down the intake and boom - into life ! So something wrong with the starter mixture i reccon, apparently he set the pilot screw to 1.5 turns, but i suspect hes not done it right?

Anyway - be asking for some of my money back tomorrow as he's not done the job that i asked for...

While im at it, is wemoto the best place to pick up standard parts like clutch cables etc?

cheers all

Hi Robbie and welcome to the club, i would highly recommend Wemoto any day, they are spot on and im sure you can get majority of what you need on there.

the carbs are back with the chap now, I had a closer look and the pipe that goes down into the bowl was blocked, so i cleaned them out with a guitar string and have asked if he can clean the ducts in the bowl out and the chokes.. fingers crossed he does it.

So now i've started to strip it down for polishing and painting - some say you cant polish a turd, but i'm gunna have a go!

closed in 2002

Be nice to think that this bike has some exotic history, do you know how i might find out.. or should i leave it to my imagination that this was used in the James bond film and will make my fortune?

the owner was a Mr T C McCulley, long disappeared now! try writing to the dvla for past owners, its a fiver and you have to give a good reason ( for mine I said i was researching the bike as it was being restored)

I'd dream on and imagine the bike in that film ;)

• 1 month later...

I bought a R6 fuel pump and now its running - happy days, now onto the other stuff that needs doing.. in the mean time im on a XJ750 maxim...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online