How the hell do i remove this?

shambles1980
This post is 4065 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok. this silencer is in good condition. BUT the baffel is well and truley stuck..
I removed the bolt that holds it and well nothing..
As you can see the little grabby bar you grab with your pliers just isnt there.
I have tried wd40, tried to wedge it out. tried to round out the lip on the silencer so its not as tight.
rode the bike with no bolt holding the baffle.
and nothing. just hasnt moved at all..

I have a much better baffle to use i just need to get this piece of junk out.

img0993wl.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1. Shove a potato in the opening at the other end of the pipe.

2. Make up a strong solution of Caustic Soda (should be able to get it from B&Q and the like) - thick rubber gloves and eye protection are good, this is nasty stuff!

3. Pour the caustic into the pipe and leave it for a day or so.

4. Dispose of the resulting black liquid in an environmentally friendly manner

The 200 years worth of carbon deposits that are gluing the baffle in place should now be much reduced, allowing the baffle to be removed a bit easier. If not, you'll have decoked the pipe reasonably well and may not need to replace the baffle anyway!

the old fashioned way was to put it on a bonfire, or pour petrol in and light it :eusa_whistle:

those were the days eh Paul?

the old fashioned way was to put it on a bonfire, or pour petrol in and light it :eusa_whistle:

those were the days eh Paul?

HAHA thats what I was going to say..burn it out...way less harmfull to the enviroment and your eyes/skin.. as well the pipe

i dunno what the diamiter is didnt bother to measure it.. id guess about an inch and a half or 2 inches from 1 side to the other.

also i like the sound of caustic soda. Sounds nice and agressive. hell im cnsidering some crazy ph acid and just disolve the whole baffel if i could guarantee the silencer would be un damaged lol.

and i like to use my petrol via the carb.. Im a bit strange like that lol..
i like it to go in the big hole, down the little pipe, in to the little do dah, then sucked in to the big up n down thingy.. go pop.. then puff out the shiney tube at the back, in little clouds of bearly visible smoke..
i also like the whizzing allong faster than i can run side product of afore mentioned usage of the petrol.

I dont think caustic soda has any similar side effects.

I love Kirrie's idea cause if it doesnt work then you just made one hell of an awesome potato cannon!!! I would heat it with a torch till it gets somewhat red then immediately drown it in cold water. This causes enough expansion and retraction to remove even the most stubborn of metals

you may not even get it out after using caustic because you cant get a hold of it but I have an idea there...what diameter is the hole then?

about an inch n a half to 2 inches il try n get up there tomorrow to check

sounds like a plan..
i will caustic soda it for atleast 24 hours probably much longer..
then rinse that out.

il probably slosh some white spirits in there for a while (just to give it a bit of a rince, (i cant afoard to fill it up with the stuff or 50/50 mix of break fluid)

and then il go ahead and pour it full of boiling water and non bio washing up powder and see where that leaves me..

Il also borrow a slide hammer and see if i cant find some way of lodging it in there. i know the baffel should go like this

|_ _|
..| o |
..|o |
..| o|

So i may be able to get something wedged in one of the holes or some where.

also it seems to me that my exhaust is in a much worse state than the worst one in the article posted lol..
perhaps they would like to borrow my picture.

the silencer on the rxs is a bit well bent.. as a design..
i dont think i can poke anything down there.

this pic has the downpipe still stuck on it..
$T2eC16RHJG8E9nyfnT5+BQg-4qGpy!~~60_35.J

but with the length of the baffle. the narrow neck where the downpipe connects, and the angle..
any thing that could be shoved down there which could be used to possibly push the thing out.. wouldnt quite reach the baffle.

so im hoping a good soak. and then liberral use of a slide hammer will get it out.

Still have the alternatave of grind the castelated nut off the other silencer and patch up the pin holes..
But structurally (apart from the rediculous baffle) the spare "the one im trying to use" is in much better condition

The thing is rediculously stuck..
caustic soda did a good job. ( i think i went over board with the mixture, it started bubbeling like crasy and that made me happy)

But even after the caustic soda it was still stuck..

couldnt get the thing out. so i poured in some terps. got the blow torch on it and set the thing on fire.. i let it burn for ages.. Still wouldnt come out.

I hammered a screw driver all around the edge to try and seperate it from the silencer..
Still wont come out.

Sprayed crazy ammounts of WD40 around it.. (you guessed it still wont come out)

Funny thing is.. I decided id take it for a spin without any silencer at all on it (just the down pipe)
Thing runs MUCH better without the silencer, its crazy..
im starting to think i should make my own straight pipe, stick it to the downpipe, and jam on an aftermarket silencer can to the end of it.

I know it needs back pressure, but with the way it runs without a silencer. i think the bends in the downpipe do a good job of that.
I would just put on a straight pipe and forget the silencer but its loud..
so im wondering if i could just jam a baffel in a straight pipe. Imay need some sort of expantion chamber on the pipe though. and i know if i mess that up it can make things worse. but i really didnt think it would run that well without a silencer at all. so I think a straight pipe+can or straight pipe + baffle may work well..

but i dont know what the mot people would say about it.

aslong as it isnt stupidly loud i cant see why they would have a problem with it, unless it has a sticker that says "for race use only" or something, you can even buy the certification plates off ebay for a few quid if you're that worried about it

not sure i can do it unfortunatly.
cant find any sort of link pipe that would work for the Rxs. I guess i could cut up one of my silencers that i have and weld a smaller link pipe to that and then a can on the end of it.
but that would probably end up in the same situation as im in now and look like shit..

I wonder if its going better without the silencer due to sucking in more air one the charging stroke due to there being no silencer.
but i have jammed on a pod filter which just really made it noisy. and didnt seem to improve anything really.

im on 120main jet. i think that the right size. (2 diferent carbs have the same issue though so i doubt its the carb)

I really didnt want to get the engine out and in bits before i knew 100% what exactly i was fixing..

id hate to rebuild the thing then have the same issue because it was something i never thought of.
Having a spare engine i can now change the whole crank over which should be easier then splitting the crank to replace big end bearings.

i also have a spare gearbox and so on. But again. i dont want to replace all that stuff if i didnt need to either..

i wont just swap engines because the numbers on the new engine had been suspisiously bashed with a hammer. and then to get the barrell off of it i decided to hit the number with a hammer when holding the barrel.. (which worked.. but did completley destroy the numbers)

I guess i could get a length of pipe bent to shape. i dont have the tools to bend a pipe of the diamiter needed so i would have to source that out..

All in all its a lot of work/money though.
I just really need to know what im actually fixing lol..

I guess i will just have to bite the bullet and brebuild it from the ground up replacing everything as i go and hope that the issue goes away.
Should have bought a ginnelli exhaust for it when they were like £25 lol. expantion chambers are stupid prices now.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online