2005 Yamaha TTR125

JAYCEE 93
This post is 4090 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Finally got down to the nitty gritty today and decided it was time to pull out my Yamaha and restore it to its former glory; but there is always a hiccup!

It has been sitting since late 2006 and to my surprise wasn't in too bad a condition.

Though It still wouldn't start.

I tried all off the following;

- Cleaned the spark arrester.

- Cleaned & Lubed the Air filter.

- Stripped and Cleaned the Carb.

- Cleaned & Lubed the Chain.

- Replaced the oil with Yamalube Full Synthetic.

- Replaced the Fuel tank with Unleaded.

- Charged and checked the charge of the battery which is ok.

The electric start is working it turns over the engine, fuel sits in the bottom of the carb although the engine is turning over it proceeds into a really harsh metal clanking noise.

I pulled out some spray petrol and sprayed it into the back of the carb and the thing shoots up without a hitch the engine runs this way which makes me think its as if the fuel inside the carburettor isn't doing anything.

If anyone has any idea whats going on it would be a big help!

Cheers,

John

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

clean your jets

me i normally split the carb up pull all the jets out then put the whole carb in a tub covering with petrol and use a tooth brush to clean every inch then once ive finished i blast with the carb cleaner/compressed air hold the jets up to the sun and look through make sure the hole is there and nothing clogging it up.

make sure you blast some cleaner/air into all the places where the jets sit

ken

Cheers Ken,

I think the Pilot Jet is the problem, I cant see right the way through it. The multiple holes at the top are all right though. Do you know if its safe to just go with a pin through them to unclog them? It seems pretty tough. I have carb cleaner aswell but it doesn't seem to be budging or is a new one on the cards?

Thats Magic its idling and everything now, Pilot Jet is still dodgy but I know now where the problem lies! Do you know roughly what the value of these bikes are now a days? Far outgrown this bike needing a bigger one.

I see, Ill work on it, I have the bike completely stripped right now and Ive got new body parts coming over the next week and I think the pilot jet will need replaced too so the bike can run properly. Are they pretty pricey moving up to bigger bikes I'd really like a YZ125 preferably second hand, cannot bear moving away from Yamaha haha

He'll be lucky Grouch, the TTR 125's are not road legal in the UK. Theyre a fairly decent teenagers dirt bike really, Good choice with the YZ125 mate. Theres a road legal one on ebay atm, I was so tempted, but I have three DT175MX's atm!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.557498030927503.131170.100000019338739&type=1

I dunno if you guys can get on there but thats my facebook album for the photos I just took today, Youll see the carburettor is missing Im still cleaning the Pilot Jet and I havent washed it down yet only the above has been sorted. Never felt better taking the bike out and getting her going today hasnt been going since 2006!! Ive seen that YZs are renowned for being reliable no matter what year but obviously the newer the better! I dont really know where to start for valuations of bikes just a rough idea of the kind off things you look for towards a valuation.

thats tidy jacee " what carb is on it, the pilot controls the first 1/8 of throttle , then main jet takes over, unscrew it , ther shud be holes up each side as well as a thru hole, Whar in the highlands are you,,,

Ah right Cheers, Im in Dingwall, its the original carburettor! Cleaned it yesterday and it looks split new! Just the Jets are giving me jip, I ordered a couple new parts to go in aswell, forgot to post but the previous rider must had one spin on it and obviously just flipped and snapped the back end clean off! I recon the dealer did it haha Ordered a new one though so itll be back to ship shape!

Oh" ross county it is then , Ivan Sproule will be a legend for you by the end of season, Hibs on wedneday night too.

i was at easter road on 26th dec, V county,, :eusa_snooty:

Im afraid so haha Can we have the 3 points now? Do anything to put Dundee back down! Ah the 26th was a late Christmas present for some ;) Take a step in an even worse direction Im a Rangers fan aswell!

Do you know the sort of prices these TTRs can go for nowadays? Im curious about a trade in to see how far the budget would have to be stretched haha

He'll be lucky Grouch, the TTR 125's are not road legal in the UK. Theyre a fairly decent teenagers dirt bike really, Good choice with the YZ125 mate. Theres a road legal one on ebay atm, I was so tempted, but I have three DT175MX's atm!

I thought TTR's were road learner legal trail bikes. I must of seen ones that had been converted mate.

Here It is Gentlemen, after 7 long years ITS ALIVE!! haha.. with plenty of unsolved problems to go with ha

I have noticed when I start the bike and pull the throttle it sometimes reacts at intervals or even when your going along in any gear at the same speed the throttle stops reacting, has anyone encountered this problem before?

Aye jay , i have , after sittin all winter, opened throttle on 1 of my bikes , and it felt sticky, and woulnt close proper, took slides out and needles were sticky, :eusa_snooty: cleaned them of with spirit,,,

• Like 1

Ok another new problem query, to save the battery for the moment I have been using jumpers. Now today after previously using the jumpers successfully to get the bike going, the electric start has just completely changed. The fact that when I turn on the jump start and ignition the bike just makes a continual long screetching noise, I dont even have to push the electric start, no clicks or anything.

Furthermore when I attempted to kickstart the bike it seems as if it doesnt want to go, either clanking or I kick down and it then slowly guides my foot down.

Fresh problems everywhere I get it started then another problem crops up! I took some videos Ill try post up later if they ever come on!

Ok jay " the first vid,, sounds like fooked relay, and the second, Kicker is not engaging,[ ratchet] , can you bump start it ?

i see carb stil pissing fuel too, , watched it again ,its like no compression, is ther a decompressor lever,?