Jumping Sparks

paulrever
This post is 4085 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Spark plug cap is in good state i.e. no tears or holes, but now and then sparks are jumping across between the engine and plug cap.

I noticed this today checking the electrical connections as the bike has been stalling.

I thought the stalling, particularly when at low revs, was caused by water as it seems to happen after I wash the bike, or if soaked in the rain.

This is what happened on Thursday, bike got soaked and stalled 4-5 times on the way home from work.

Never used bike on Friday (had a day off work :zzz: ), so back to top; discovered the sparking!

I figure there should'nt be sparks jumping, so how do I stop 'em?

Hopefully if this is fixed it might cure the stalling?????

Thanks for any replies.

HTR

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

On the YBR?

Often caps are a screw fit into the HT lead and these work a little loose or a couple of stray HT wires become exposed. Electricity will always go to the easiest earth.

See if the plug cap unscrews. Check any rubber for perishing. Cut 10mm of the HT lead and re-screw in the cap. Before you cut make sure that there is enough HT lead left to still reach the spark plug. If you want to be pedantic, run a little silicon around where the HT lead goes into the plug cap.

Yeah gonna wait for to dry and spray wd40.

Jumping spark now sorted, screwed plug on good and tight as it was very loose.

Was about to test ride when started to hailstone, weather now set in don't think i'll be on road for a few days.

Many thanks Guys.

Once a lead or plug cap has broken down once, its scrap. There will be a microscopic trace of carbon left and it will only get worse and worse.

New leads and caps are the only sure fix

• 2 weeks later...

This is a common factor when buying cheap boot/wires. I would just replace the wire/boot that is arcing. Im guessing this problem gets worse as the bike gets warmer or wet. As stated before electricity takes the path of least resistance and if it happens to be through the boot rather than through it than there ya go. I'm not much for "rigging" but rather fixing so thats why i say replace the boot. You can tes the others by either using an ohm meter to measure the resistance or a simple way is to warm the bike then spray water on them (one end to the other) and watch for arcing. Plug wires will tend to arc too so be sure they are away from or protected from heat sources. Watch for a gray ash looking area on the wire and boots as well

• 2 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online