1974 DT 125

AgriKing
This post is 4086 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Yamaha guys, I recently got a DT125 Yamaha Enduro for free, it didnt run. I saw a picture of it on facebook, and was interested, because my dad had one just like it when he was a teenager. I didn't want to pay a lot for it. I saw the guy a few weeks later and told me if I really wanted it I could have it. So I went and picked it up on Sunday. My dad took a good hard look at it, and he reconized the knobby front tire and the yamaha sticker on the oil tank, it was his old bike! I believe it had three owners after my dad. It has a lot of senimental value now. My Grandpa bought it for my dad new in 1974. I guess you can say its back home..

On Monday myself and my freind attempted to get it running. We cleaned the carbs, new spark plugs, and cleaned the fuel tank. With the carb took apart we saw the jet in which fuel runs down into the motor. It was clogged, cleaned it out. Put a battery pack up to it and kicked it and it fired right up. It was an exciting moment, because my dad was sayin it wasnt worth gettin running, and was junk. It runs ok, but idles high, which one is the idle adjuster? Is it the one with the spring on it? If so, we already tried that and I wont idle down. it idles at 7grand. It doesnt have a lot of power eaither. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Cleaned the rims and waxed the paint, looks nice now.0117205859.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What a great storey " :jossun: Check the slide is in correctly , undo the throtle cable, , , how does it idle cold ? thers a rubber also on carb top, seat it , check intake rubber, air leaks,,

That bike is in great shape.

Definatly fix her up,,,,,, she will look lovely

I'd be sorely tempted to replace as many engine components as I could afford to on this, and well worth it too...it could be a combination of probs,. Wot a project of the heart tho'!! :jossun:

is that a portaloo behind the bike ??

does it save going into the house for a pee

• Like 1

Cool bike! If blackhat's recommendations don't fix the high idle, then check your throttle cable routing. Could it be bound up? The throttle cable should come around the left side of the frame, sitting on top of the clutch cable in a hook, and up to the handlebars. It sounds like you have the carb slide in backwards though. There's a groove that aligns with a tiny pin. Don't forget to make sure the 2 stroke oil tank is full and the pump is working.

The bike looks pretty awesome as is! Just a little scrub and polish and it's on its way to being a head-turner. I don't know what your wrenching abilities are, but since it was free, maybe paying for a tuneup by a mech would be a worthwhile investment and get you out on the road and enjoying it sooner. Get a clymer manual, maintain it, and you'll be able to give that bike to your kids some day. If you are mechanically inclined, then dig in and have fun!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online