Cold weather advice

paulmcl
This post is 4112 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys new to the forums and really looking some advice. I just passed my bike test on the 28th December and have bought my first bike (dragstar 650).

Its still with the dealer getting the restriction kit fitted due to the UK laws, but I am due to pick it up on Saturday and typically luck we have some terrible weather moving in.

I live in the Northern Ireland so not getting the heavy snow the rest of the UK is being hit with but we are due for some very cold weather and sleet/light snow. I have no other way to get this bike home but drive it but I'm feeling very nervous about it and wondering if there are any experience drivers who could give me some tips for this bike in bad weather in case I hit some rocky moments and panic.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Keep your distance from other vehicles, also be extra aware of people pulling out in front of you as your ability to brake hard will be somewhat have disappeared obviously depending on the road surface!!

Try not to ride early morning/late night as this is when mr Jack Frost has done his worst.

In all honesty just take your time and be extra vigilant...

Cheers

Ken

Having just done your test, you will know all the general stuff such as braking distances and the like.

As for specific Dragstar stuff:

Wrap up nice and warm. You are new to this bike and it's handling characteristics, so make sure you have as few distractions as possible. If you need to pull over and stop for a bit here and there, definitely do so!

Keep in a high gear with low revs, especially when going round corners in low speed limits. The torque on this thing is down the bottom end, so whacking the throttle open in a low gear (or anything akin to that) is more likely to spin the wheels up.

Start braking as early as you can, being gentle and progressive.

Generally take it easy, go at your own pace, don't feel or let yourself be rushed and pay close attention to things around you. Read the road and watch for other people who might do stupid stuff, to avoid being surprised. If in doubt, let them go, wave them out or hold back to let them do whatever and be out of your way.

Lastly - Have fun and enjoy the ride!!

Also, welcome to the forum.

Great choice of bike and hope to see you returning here soon!

Having just done your test, you will know all the general stuff such as braking distances and the like.

As for specific Dragstar stuff:

Wrap up nice and warm. You are new to this bike and it's handling characteristics, so make sure you have as few distractions as possible. If you need to pull over and stop for a bit here and there, definitely do so!

Keep in a high gear with low revs, especially when going round corners in low speed limits. The torque on this thing is down the bottom end, so whacking the throttle open in a low gear (or anything akin to that) is more likely to spin the wheels up.

Start braking as early as you can, being gentle and progressive.

Generally take it easy, go at your own pace, don't feel or let yourself be rushed and pay close attention to things around you. Read the road and watch for other people who might do stupid stuff, to avoid being surprised. If in doubt, let them go, wave them out or hold back to let them do whatever and be out of your way.

Lastly - Have fun and enjoy the ride!!

Also, welcome to the forum.

Great choice of bike and hope to see you returning here soon!

You make it sound like hes riding a TL1000 haha. I have a Virago which is actually faster than the 650 Drag. If you can, avoid a day where its snowy, chances are the gritters won't have done a good job, and regardless of how skilled you are, most people will bin their bike on a snowy road.

Apart from that, just ride at your own pace, it should come natural if you're sensible. Look out for diesel spills and once the bike is home, cover it in ACF50 or you can kiss the chrome goodbye.

Alright mate, welcome to the forum

Congrats on passing your test. What age are you, hows the insurance quote going.

Advice as above. Wrap up warm with layers of clothing and gloves. I dont do much winter biking these days but my 18yr old son uses his bike all year round. He has thermal inners, gloves and mitts type outers and says that seems to work. Try and hose your bike down at the earliest opportunity (although not if its going to be icy, or you'll have a skating rink to negotiate)

Also treat all car drivers as if they havent seen you and be prepared.

I have advised my boy to do a (mental) running commentary of the road ahead similar to that required on a Police driving course. Try that, it will make you more observant to whats happening around you.

Good luck and safe riding

Alright mate, welcome to the forum

Congrats on passing your test. What age are you, hows the insurance quote going.

Thanks.. I'm 28. Got insurance from e-bike for £280 fully comp which seemed reasonable compared to some of the £3k quotes I was getting lol.. Which is a shame as this year I will have a 10 year no claims discount for a car but doesn't seem to carry over on a bike :)

Again guys thanks for all the advice, so excited to get the bike, just worried that I'm going to get caught out in the snow, so far the forecast is only saying sleet/light snow so hoping if I take my time I will be ok :) The wife is going to follow me in her car so I can take my time without any manic drivers up my arse putting pressure on me.

You make it sound like hes riding a TL1000 haha. I have a Virago which is actually faster than the 650 Drag.

Faster acceleration, yes, but only through a greater power-to-weight ratio. Still the same top speed and the Drag has higher low-end torque, which means it spins up easier at the slow speeds (hence high gear low revs).

New rider on an unfamiliar bike that weighs 37 stone and has a surprising amount of low-end kick for 40HP, first ride in snow... Might as well be an R1 unless he's sensible about it.

I'd rather he was cautious and safe.

as task has quite rightly said(probably thorough experience)

the draggie will spin incredibly easy

the advise i would give is if the weather is that bad you might think it risky DONT PICK IT UP

tell the garage its impossible to ride and they should keep it for you after all an injured customer is no good to them

good luck and ride safe

as task has quite rightly said(probably thorough experience)

the draggie will spin incredibly easy

the advise i would give is if the weather is that bad you might think it risky DONT PICK IT UP

tell the garage its impossible to ride and they should keep it for you after all an injured customer is no good to them

good luck and ride safe

Yeah Gizmo thanks, I think this is exactly what I'm going to do, and just leave it with them until this snow passes. Even if I had of managed to get it home tomorrow, with the snow warnings over the UK I probably would not get much riding on it, and its probably better sitting in their warm show room rather than my cold shed for the next week.

We still haven't seen any snow yet here so just going to wait till tomorrow to see what its like, if there is snow I will leave it with them, if not then I will go get it. Will let you guys know the outcome and get a few pic's up when I get it.

Don't forget that being a new bike the brakes won;t be fully bedded in so allow for that and most new tyres have some protective film on them and need a few miles to wear off so may be extra slippery.

Either way best of luck and keep your wits about you. Being warm is vital too so layer up and if you are uncomfortable, pull over and adjust.

Yeah Gizmo thanks, I think this is exactly what I'm going to do, and just leave it with them until this snow passes. Even if I had of managed to get it home tomorrow, with the snow warnings over the UK I probably would not get much riding on it, and its probably better sitting in their warm show room rather than my cold shed for the next week.

We still haven't seen any snow yet here so just going to wait till tomorrow to see what its like, if there is snow I will leave it with them, if not then I will go get it. Will let you guys know the outcome and get a few pic's up when I get it.

I think thats the best course of action. Get to know the bike first before riding in shite weather, assume all other road users are morons.

Good luck with the bike :thumb:

Yeah Gizmo thanks, I think this is exactly what I'm going to do, and just leave it with them until this snow passes.

Best choice!

Also, if you are sure you want to pick it up, be *sure* there will be no snow at all that day. Last thing you want is to get caught halfway home in snow - What was a perfectly good road will suddenly fill with panicky morons!

I am glad to say that someone upstairs must be looking out for me... looked out the window this morning and all this snow is gone.. Went and picked it up this afternoon. Such a lovely drive, was nervous to start with, but didn't take long to build the confidence, its a very forgiving bike for beginners. Looking forward to the nicer weather when I can take her out on a big journey.

its a very forgiving bike for beginners.

Quote of the month!!!

I recall saying this a few times early on, when explaining to the 'Knee-Down Knob-heads' why I'd not gone out and gotten a Hayabusa for my first bike. They actually understood! :D

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online