Engine cut out while riding and won't start... Are you ready Sherlock?

Mike9
This post is 4049 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1992 Yamaha XJ600. The dashboard was chopped and replaced with a small tach and speedometer which works just fine. The bike has been running fine and the battery was just replaced not too long ago. Here's the deal... I was riding through traffic and as I was cruising to a stop my engine shut off with my bike in neutral. Ok, so I tried to restart the engine... nothing. I managed to walk the bike over to a sidewalk to figure out the problem There is gas in the tank, the battery has power (especially since I just charged it), the lights and horn works, I checked the kill switch, the fuel valve was not moved from it's on position. When I try to start it, it doesn't sound like anything in the engine moves (no turnover), just a some clicking (sounds like the normal relay box). Push starting the bike didn't work (I've done this before several times).

So the main things are that the engine shut off while riding and no engine turnover when I try to start it. If it was the solenoid wouldn't the starter motor still try to start the bike? Or if it was the starter motor wouldn't the bike still start with a push start, and it wouldn't have shut off the engine while riding it? Any Ideas? I'm no professional, just a grad student with a bike and a garage... Please help!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My pal recently put his bike into a “reputable” motorcycle garage (been in business for 50+ years) for various reasons, and to cut a long story short, the damn “mechanic” had re-fitted the fuel valve the wrong way round (no offence to ANY mechanics, it can happen). He’d travelled about 4 miles before the engine cut out….and that was after driving 3 miles home then taking it out next day.

Sry, I can't add anything else to the suggestions in the above post.

replace the spark plug might not be the answer but its a start always check the sparky first :) try starting without the elecy start with a new plug if it starts hurrah if not then could be a bad earth or connection that's vibrated off maybe?

• 3 weeks later...

if all you get is a clicking sound when trying to start it its obviously electrical not fuel related. also the fact that someone hacked away at the electrical would be an indicator too. it does sound like your battery took a squat so check voltage on it and make sure all connections are clean and tight. the clicking you here is more than likely a relay. try jumping the battery off with a car or another source then go from there

• 3 weeks later...

try pressing the sidestand cut out switch in by hand and pressing the starter then :)

When the speedo &new tack were fitted , either the black/white wire to ignition has shorted, [ not fitted properly] or loose,,

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online