time for next level test *info needed*

kenDAWG
This post is 4089 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello people

after a few months on my dt ive decided i would like to step up to the next level, fancy a decent 250-300 4 stroke.

now i have no idea what the next test is or what its called so is there any chance someone can fill me in, ive been online searching but im getting a mixture of what used to be and whats now (as the teste have changed) so everything is unclear and a little blured....

can you give me info on what the test involves on what bike and also what i would be able to ride afterwards?

thanx lads

ken

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

What is the next step for me though? I don't understand it used to be mod1 and 2 what the hell is a2???

I'm 31yrs old so I just want to know the next step then ill have to look at what I can ride to see if its viable.

Cheers

Ken

From 19th January 2013 you may take training and pass your test on a 600cc plus motorcycle that produces at least 53.6 Bhp (much more powerful than the minimum today). Pass your test on this and you have a licence for any motorcycle, any size, any power.

Here is the full spec. I think from Jan 2013 in the UK

Age 17 or 18

From 19th January 2013. You can take your test now on a 125cc and that's what you are limited to until the age of 19, when you can train and take another test if you choose - otherwise restricted permanently to 125cc. There is no automatic progression!

Age 19 to 23

From 19th January 2013. You may take your test now on a 400cc or restricted bike (min 395cc - between 33 Bhp and 46.6 Bhp). When you pass then you can ride a restricted motorcycle producing no more than 46.6 Bhp Eg. older Kawasaki ER500 or a middleweight bike that has been professionally restricted. NOT however large bikes that originally produce more than 92 Bhp - this means pretty much everything over 600cc is excluded from you that is a modern sports bike or sports tourer. Also the power to weight ratio is set at a maximum of 0.2 Kw/Kg - this means light or smaller cc sports bikes are not allowed too.

Now wait 2 years or until you are 24 when you can train and take another test if you choose. There is no automatic progression!

Age 24 or older

From 19th January 2013 you may take training and pass your test on a 600cc plus motorcycle that produces at least 53.6 Bhp (much more powerful than the minimum today). Pass your test on this and you have a licence for any motorcycle, any size, any power.

you can do the other test if you prefer got to do 125 test im 43 cos im too small to manage the bigger bikes have already done mod 1 and failed mod 2 (A2 licence) now get downgraded to a1 licence(125)

good luck with yours

elmmetxx

Still don't know what is a2, is that on the 400cc bike?

I'm only looking to be able to ride a 250-300cc bike so I'm not interested in the full license yet you see-these big bikes don't really interest me

Ken

the A2 licence as of 19th jan is the middle weight bike licence as in dirtydt's post above( age 19-23)

A1 is the 125cc licence (small bike)

A is large bikes as in direct access

elmmetxx

age from 19 January 2013 Sub-category used for module 1 before 19 January 2013 Sub-category used for module 2 after 19 January 2013

16 or over P AM

17 or over A1 A1

17 or over A2 A1

23 or under A A2

24 or over A A

Listen to what he's telling you. If you do not want to do direct access and get an unrestricted licence then sit your test on a 125cc bike. This will then allow you to ride a bike up to 46bhp.

Bear in mind if you have the unrestricted licence you still have the option to ride your smaller bike as well as a "big bike" if you change your mind later on.

Cheers for that, it's just with the A2 for some reason the age was 19-23 just come across as a age bracket and not a minimum age!

I have been trawling the Internet and I was getting all pissed off with the different information I was picking up.

The restriction bhp and also power to weight ratios etc!!

Was just getting stressed sometimes you cannot see what is in front of you, I apologise dirtyDT

Cheers

Ken

Listen to what he's telling you. If you do not want to do direct access and get an unrestricted licence then sit your test on a 125cc bike. This will then allow you to ride a bike up to 46bhp.

i think you have to do A2 tests on 400's now , not allowed to do it on 125's (from when the laws changes)

this is as far as i know

i think you have to do A2 tests on 400's now , not allowed to do it on 125's (from when the laws changes)

this is as far as i know

ww

Yea sorry mate, you're right. I was working from memory, which is obviously shit.

ww

Yea sorry mate, you're right. I was working from memory, which is obviously shit.

hahhahaa probably just mixing up the old and new laws ;) easy enough to do

i'm sure there will be plenty more of these threads to come in the next few weeks / months

these changes are just a big old nuisance eh

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online