Spring Adventure on a 125

bippo
This post is 4092 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Completed my test pack today now that I have everything ready. Managed to fit bike gear, camping and cooking equipment, clothes and washing stuff into my panniers and tank bag for a 5 day adventure.

The panniers are both 15 litre capacity and the tank bag is 4 litres. I have packed as minimally as possible, but without completely going without. There is still plenty of room in my tank bag which is great.

a40cd42220e6350d633dd98fe721c585.jpg

All of this means I've met my target of travelling with just the tent strapped to the luggage rack, giving me plenty of room to move about.

Next up are a couple of weekend test runs to make sure my set up works for me before getting the bike serviced and heading off for the real adventure!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well done Bips, don't forget camera and charge battery up because we want to see photos.

Hey Drewpy - yeah I've stumbled across that bike during numerous Internet searches! Thanks for sharing though.

I am just praying for the weather to get better soon so I can go out on practice runs and stay at nearby campsites. This will be the first time I've ridden a motorbike with panniers etc so I just want to ensure all is ok. I've done the obvious things like ensuring they are very similar weights and packing heavier items at the bottom, but I just want to load up the bike and go for a good long run.

Stupid weather...!

Hey Drewpy - yeah I've stumbled across that bike during numerous Internet searches! Thanks for sharing though.

I am just praying for the weather to get better soon so I can go out on practice runs and stay at nearby campsites. This will be the first time I've ridden a motorbike with panniers etc so I just want to ensure all is ok. I've done the obvious things like ensuring they are very similar weights and packing heavier items at the bottom, but I just want to load up the bike and go for a good long run.

Stupid weather...!

Make sure your panniers cant move inwards towards your wheel.

The weather is what it is.

Save your Prayers for more special things !

Just my opinion

Pat

Good set of luggage, Bippo. I have a soft tail bag which you can borrow if you want. I don't use it as I bought a hard box.

Do you have a 12V plug for chargers? These are less than fiver on ebay and you can mount it yourself or ask a friend for help.

p.s. If you need a collection of camp sites GPS coordinates, send me p.m. because I cant put the file here.

good advice so far - here is my tuppence worth - no need for satnav a UK michilin paper map will suffice - good tread in tyres - proper pressure for load - some cable ties which are also good for securing luggage in tandem with decent bungee straps - fit bike luggage per manufacturers guidelines - maybe a small l.e.d torch - small inflateable mat and pillow 3/4 length mat is fine - ybr bike tools should be fine - your bike is a low milage example and should not give you any bother - cellphone and money - climacool layers which dry really quick - spare nickers are 50pence a pair in the local supermarket - there is an abundance of supermarkets and garages in cornwall - last but not least andrex washables incase you get caught out short - finally ride safe and enjoy

Make sure your panniers cant move inwards towards your wheel.

Great advice Pat, thanks for that.

Good set of luggage, Bippo. I have a soft tail bag which you can borrow if you want. I don't use it as I bought a hard box.

Do you have a 12V plug for chargers? These are less than fiver on ebay and you can mount it yourself or ask a friend for help.

p.s. If you need a collection of camp sites GPS coordinates, send me p.m. because I cant put the file here.

Thanks, that's really kind of you! I have enough luggage space based on the test pack. The tank bag you see in the picture actually doubles up as a tail pack if required which I would do, but I'm using it to read a map as I don't have sat nav. I know Cornwall quite well as used to surf there so am more than happy with a map. I've already planned out my route and can easily remember the roads and towns I should pass in lieu of motorway use.

I've already picked out a campsite which is owned by a couple with their own bikes, so I am in good company! They also have free access to charging points for my mobile etc so I'm not going to bother putting a 12v plug on my YBR.

good advice so far - here is my tuppence worth - no need for satnav a UK michilin paper map will suffice - good tread in tyres - proper pressure for load - some cable ties which are also good for securing luggage in tandem with decent bungee straps - fit bike luggage per manufacturers guidelines - maybe a small l.e.d torch - small inflateable mat and pillow 3/4 length mat is fine - ybr bike tools should be fine - your bike is a low milage example and should not give you any bother - cellphone and money - climacool layers which dry really quick - spare nickers are 50pence a pair in the local supermarket - there is an abundance of supermarkets and garages in cornwall - last but not least andrex washables incase you get caught out short - finally ride safe and enjoy

Sounds like you've done this before! Great advice there, especially the cable ties for extra securing on the bike.

Only thing i have experienced " is spare set of gloves, if first set get soaked, its most uncomfortable , and put phone in a jiffy bagg, i"v found that out the hard way,, :eusa_whistle: oh and plenty of stops, if the rear end gets sore, it never seems too recover , that day,,

Only thing i have experienced " is spare set of gloves, if first set get soaked, its most uncomfortable , and put phone in a jiffy bagg, i"v found that out the hard way,, :eusa_whistle: oh and plenty of stops, if the rear end gets sore, it never seems too recover , that day,,

Thanks for the tips there!

I've got my sandwich bags to hand, already discovered my tank bag is really just shower proof... Luckily the phone survived!