Spring Adventure on a 125

bippo
This post is 4088 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all,

When Spring shows its face I'm going on a road trip!

I'm using this trip as a chance to build up my experience before working towards my full license. Also, I found last years 450 mile jaunt so much more fun than the car (despite the speed, constant rain, fog, cold and navigation of non-motorway roads!)

I'm in the planning stages at the moment. I don't yet know when and how much time I'll be taking off work. What I do know is that I've narrowed it down to Cornwall.

I'll be cleaning and servicing the bike before leaving, but I was wondering if you guys could let me know what sort of things I should carry in my armoury for bike maintenance? So far I'm thinking:

- RAC card

- chain lube

- WD-40

- zip ties

- duct tape

- bike tools

I'll also be making sure tyre pressure and suspension are adjusted accordingly for the additional weight, although I'll be doing what i can to pack as light as possible.

Finally do you guys have any helpful hints and tips for a 1000+ mile trip? I've never done anything like this before on a bike.

Thanks in advance for your help - I'm really looking forward to doing this on a 125 - it'll make me appreciate a larger capacity bike once the L plates are torn up!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Excellent Bippo.

You need:

Credit card

Mobile

Satnav

Recovery membership

Waterproofs

Toothbrush

Providing you service the bike beforehand (and it is not Chinese) the bike should easily do this.

Plan your route carefully - decide if you want to just eat miles or do you want to take photos for the YOC calender on the way?

Think about charging your satnav and phone as you go. Easily done on a 12 volt bike.

Plan stops - toilet, overnights, fuel and beverages. Make sure your satnav has these on it.

Put away a little extra cash before you go. This lets you travel light and pop into the nearest Tesco extra/bike shop and buy anything you need. You can then post it home if you want to keep it or just chuck it.

Don't be scared to deviate from the plan.

Plan how your luggage is going to fit and tie down. Test it for weight, comfort and so it doesn't move or rub.

Enjoy it.

Awesome Bippo! Sounds like DIrtyDT has done this before. :) I'd say he's covered all the bases. Make sure there are gas stations often enough... traveling through Montana it seems every exit had "no services". Damn near ran out of gas in my car.

For me, I'd probably take my extra spark plugs (but I always have those anyway) along with my tool kit, flashlight, tire patches, travel tire irons and air pump, and extra tube. But you may have tubeless tires... and they may not be as simple to change as mine. ??

Have a great time! And take lots of pics to show us. :)

Well done Bippo, Cornwall is a great place to go. Looe and Polperro are fantastic.

I've never been there on a bike so I cant contribute as what you need to take, but photos of your travels would be great.

Definatly do it,,,,,,,,, youll have a great time.

Travel light, you wont use half the shit ya bring with ya.

Yep, to the spare plug,,,,,,,, the other posts seem to have covered most things.

Touring on a 125 is great,,,,,,,, you get to see more things.

Dont get caught out and run outa fuel.

Have fun.

As above. I went to Cornwall years ago and it is indeed stunning and the wether should be ok too not to mention the girls.

Only thing I can add to the previous posts would be take a couple of spare bulbs.

Great choice mate and as the lady said take loads of pics!

Excellent Bippo.

You need:

Credit card

Mobile

Satnav

Recovery membership

Waterproofs

Toothbrush

Providing you service the bike beforehand (and it is not Chinese) the bike should easily do this.

Plan your route carefully - decide if you want to just eat miles or do you want to take photos for the YOC calender on the way?

Think about charging your satnav and phone as you go. Easily done on a 12 volt bike.

Plan stops - toilet, overnights, fuel and beverages. Make sure your satnav has these on it.

Put away a little extra cash before you go. This lets you travel light and pop into the nearest Tesco extra/bike shop and buy anything you need. You can then post it home if you want to keep it or just chuck it.

Don't be scared to deviate from the plan.

Plan how your luggage is going to fit and tie down. Test it for weight, comfort and so it doesn't move or rub.

Enjoy it.

This is great information, thanks so much. I'm torn between two options at the moment:

A. Staying in a B&B which means I'll be able to do this sooner. I also test packed last night and I have more than enough room across my two 15 litre pannier bags.

B. To camp.

Option B is my preferred as it feels like more of an adventure. It does however mean I have a few more things to purchase up front, so although it'll be cheap when I'm away it'll push the date slightly. The good news is that with my test packing last night I'll have room for the tent etc on the rack!

Awesome Bippo! Sounds like DIrtyDT has done this before. :) I'd say he's covered all the bases. Make sure there are gas stations often enough... traveling through Montana it seems every exit had "no services". Damn near ran out of gas in my car.

For me, I'd probably take my extra spark plugs (but I always have those anyway) along with my tool kit, flashlight, tire patches, travel tire irons and air pump, and extra tube. But you may have tubeless tires... and they may not be as simple to change as mine. ??

Have a great time! And take lots of pics to show us. :)

Thanks Sacha :-) Your 'maintenance' kit is duly noted and a flashlight will certainly be bought along as I'll be riding in the dark at some point.

In my trip down and back I plan on just topping up as and when I see a petrol station - the little bike will want all the rests it can get! But on the plus side, I can get around 170 miles out of the tank before I start worrying about fuel, so it should be ok.

Well done Bippo, Cornwall is a great place to go. Looe and Polperro are fantastic.

I've never been there on a bike so I cant contribute as what you need to take, but photos of your travels would be great.

Thanks Mike! I love Polzeath, so am looking to stay around there. Alternatively I'll look around Crantock or Perranporth.

Definatly do it,,,,,,,,, youll have a great time.

Travel light, you wont use half the shit ya bring with ya.

Yep, to the spare plug,,,,,,,, the other posts seem to have covered most things.

Touring on a 125 is great,,,,,,,, you get to see more things.

Dont get caught out and run outa fuel.

Have fun.

Thanks! I've really planned my packing down to the bare bones, and already wondered whether I could ditch some of it... Very different mindset to going away in a car!

As above. I went to Cornwall years ago and it is indeed stunning and the wether should be ok too not to mention the girls.

Only thing I can add to the previous posts would be take a couple of spare bulbs.

Great choice mate and as the lady said take loads of pics!

Thanks Davie! Although I'm a girl too... so perhaps our 'interests' are slightly different!! Ha ha! ;-)

Camping for me although it does double the size of the stuff you need to carry. Have a look at the Youth Hostel Association. (YHA). You may be able to get a half way between B&B and camping. I have used this all over Europe, camped when possible and B&B when wet of too smelly. The YHA and B&B do enable you to get that first hot drink in the morning, which I miss when camping.

Torch, penknife and bottle opener are all stables.

Thanks, well I've given it some thought and I'm going to camp! It does mean that I'll probably be aiming for May instead of March as I have a few things to buy that I need to spread across pay packets, but never mind.

Certainly after my packing test run (when I was working off staying in B&B's) I'll have enough room for the additional stuff needed for camping. It'll just require some more logistical planning and a test run to a nearer campsite before setting off on the long trip.

It looks like that you are going to north of Cornwall then, then you must visit Tintagel (the home of King Arthur), according my lovely wife they do the best cornish pasties there.

Well most everything is covered as to what to bring,might I suggest a can of tire sealer/inflator not the best way to fix a flat but simpel and will get you to a shop to have it fixed properly. Easier than tire irons and patches and I never seem to get flats when I have a can with me.

1000 miles is a long trip so break it up into doable sections your daily is 75 miles right? so doubling that is reasonable but don't over do it riding tired is the best way to ruin a trip,takes the fun out and increases the chance of havin a mishap.

I'm off for a 5000 + to alaska but thats over on Foams thread Have funn and keep the paint up and the rubber down

• 2 weeks later...

Spring adventure to Cornwall sounds fantastic. I tried once to go to Scotland on my YBR125. Didn't make it to the end because of the rain and closed roads, but still was a great time.

Something to add to the preparation list - clean/wash or replace the air filter before you set off.

Water tight bags - big and small can come handy. It's great to have some dry underware when (if) you are soaked.

What type luggage do you plan to use - top box or tail bag?

should be a great trip.

some good A roads from Manchester, either through Stafford or Wales/England border and under the Telford suspension in Brisol.

don't forget its the journey not the destination.

post your route up and I'm sure members can PM their mob number if your in a jam somewhere or just wanna meet up

Spring adventure to Cornwall sounds fantastic. I tried once to go to Scotland on my YBR125. Didn't make it to the end because of the rain and closed roads, but still was a great time.

Something to add to the preparation list - clean/wash or replace the air filter before you set off.

Water tight bags - big and small can come handy. It's great to have some dry underware when (if) you are soaked.

What type luggage do you plan to use - top box or tail bag?

Hey, thanks for the message! Duely noted about the air filter. The bike will be going in for its 3.5k service before the trip. It's a decent garage so I'll be letting the mechanic know about my intended adventure.

Regarding luggage I'm taking soft luggage. I have a small tank bag so I can carry my essentials and map. That isn't the most waterproof in a proper downpour, but I just put everything in sandwich bags which works fine.

On the back of the bike I'm taking a couple of small roll-top panniers. They are just Oxford ones and not too big. I have used one before on a 450 mile round trip which was just strapped to the rack. For one half of that journey it pissed down constantly and I was on the bike for many hours navigating non motorway roads I'd never seen before. I'm pleased to say the contents of that roll-top bag were bone dry at the end so I'm really pleased with them.

I've tested the panniers on the bike and they fit securely which is good. I've also test packed and have more then enough room to carry my stuff, bike maintenance and camping equipment. At the moment it just looks like the tent I'll be strapped to the luggage rack due to its size.

The choice to camp wasn't my original intention, but if you're going to do an adventure, might as well do it properly! I'm saving up for a different roll-mat as the pack size is much smaller than my current one. Then all that's left to buy is the tent. Once I have them I'll be able to do a proper test pack and will be using it as a cheeky excuse for a dry run one weekend!

Make sure you start with new tyres or ones with enough tread to safely cover our intended milage. :jossun: Enjoy your trip and as the folks say bring lots of pics for us to see.

Thanks! I'm saving up for its service prior to leaving and will be replacing anything that needs it. I believe the front tyre will need replacing by then as its still stock (not very good on a cheap YBR). The rear is an after market (puncture) which still looks good at the mo.

should be a great trip.

some good A roads from Manchester, either through Stafford or Wales/England border and under the Telford suspension in Brisol.

don't forget its the journey not the destination.

post your route up and I'm sure members can PM their mob number if your in a jam somewhere or just wanna meet up

Thanks Drewpy - I've mapped out the main route today and it looks like I'll be going down some nice roads. I'm also going to map out a more meandering route which will take in some quieter roads - perfect option should the weather be nice!

Bump...

My last few bits of camping equipment have arrived today so I'm going to test pack tomorrow. I've been reviewing my list and cutting out anything I can do without.

Once some of the nicer weather comes along I'll be doing a few weekend test runs to nearby campsites. Can't wait!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online