new A2 license

welshwan
This post is 4091 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

new A2 license = Medium motorcycles up to 35 kW (and a power-to-weight ratio not more than 0.2 kW per kg), bike mustn’t be derived from vehicle more than twice its power.

Any ideas what off road bikes fall into this category now then? i have been looking around and it would appear they have really done us over on this one, almost none of the bigger engine MX bikes even come close to meeting these lets say 'very specific' power and power to weight ratio's (mainly the power to weight being an issue).

Also it would seem that in order to restrict a bike down to these is going to have to be a dyno job as the only kits i can find are for 33 BHP and with some of these bikes 33 is still to powerful for the power to weight ratios.

whats the score here then guys, i may have some of these numbers wrong, just looking for any corrections if need be and any ideas of what bike.

WR450F MILES over the power to weight !

reason for this question is that i will be booking my self in for lessons and test as soon as the law changes as its obviously far too late to try for the old laws now hahah

looking for a real off road bike nothing too heavy ideally no more then like 130 150 KG and best at about 120 or less

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

PS THESE STUPID NEW LAWS, damn gov keeps interfering with vehicle laws and trying to say its to make the roads safer blah blah. if there's any difference in safety whys my insurance just keep going up? i think they have us by the balls and they are pulling this shit as more and more people start looking at bikes for transport due to the extortionate prices of running a car,. god help you if you 17 or 18 you'll be paying thousands just in insurance plus getting pulled all the time basically because you are young. its not on, really annoys me.

just you watch soon enough a bike wont be all that much cheaper then a car as it gets more popular, other then the actual amount of petrol it take to run.

Sucks.

They had to draw a line in the sand somewhere.

That wr450 is hardly a learner machine. Either is it, If your honest.

no it isnt , true enough cynic...but i do like a challenge ;)

i used to piss about on an older xt600, but yeah i doubt they even compare.

abit heavy (not too heavy mind you) and not amazing for blasting about off road

would be nice to have something that doesent feel like its going to dismantle its self when going over a pothole or whatever

maybe a 250, i will have to do the maths on power to weight and all that crap.

and i do realize there are other models about, ill do some hunting

also any ideas would be cool.

Its to stop people going out and jumping on a restricted r6, gsxr etc from something like a cbr 125... as thats f'in dangerous, restricted sports bikes are less ridable as it messes up the power delivery. Quite a few manufacturers are/have released bikes to fit in with the new regulations, might be worth checking some of them out like the cbr 500 which claims 46.6bhp. Also the wr250r/x would be fine and so would something like a drz / CCM 404?

Whats the rush? You dont need tonnes of power to have fun on a bike.

By the way for my two year restriction i just kept my DT as it was more than enough and done everything i needed from a bike. That was probably only 20 odd bhp but i loved it!

LINKY Pretty restricted really.

Whatever was wrong with just riding around the block once to get your bike license?

yes indeed not much choice really eh. As for once around the block test, that's what all the people with bikes in my family did (well as far as i know anyways...i'll look into that) as they are a fair bit older then me and there still alive and kicking. I'm convinced they don't want people on bikes, i have my thoughts why but not 100% sure.

The fact that i have to do my CBT, theory , mod one and mod two don't really bother me its the for the younger ones assuming they want to ditch the L plates will have to do this all a total of 3 times!

actually not 100% sure if you have to do theory again ,or cbt? still a piss take

On 1/13/2013 at 12:40 AM, Ryan09 said:

Its to stop people going out and jumping on a restricted r6, gsxr etc from something like a cbr 125... as thats f'in dangerous, restricted sports bikes are less ridable as it messes up the power delivery. Quite a few manufacturers are/have released bikes to fit in with the new regulations, might be worth checking some of them out like the cbr 500 which claims 46.6bhp. Also the wr250r/x would be fine and so would something like a drz / CCM 404?

Whats the rush? You dont need tonnes of power to have fun on a bike.

By the way for my two year restriction i just kept my DT as it was more than enough and done everything i needed from a bike. That was probably only 20 odd bhp but i loved it!

after reading the link dirty posted i just realized i will still only be restricted from taking the next test for 2 years not until i'm 24 as i first thought (bear in mind 24 is 3 and a half year away! ) that's something i guess,

the rush is to be honest the fact that im bored of the 125. dt for a couple of years...maybe. XT on the other hand at what is it 10 hp? and engine screaming to do 60 (maybe the DT does to?) poor little thing. living in the middle of nowhere it's a long old journey to anywhere really.  slow outside of the 30 and 40 mph zones. I really don't like ragging a machine about all the time.

drz is looking like an option

Can you still do direct access if you are 21?

Sorry i didnt mean keep the XT for two years, i meant theres no rush in getting something like a wr450f. Id recomend a bigger bike for sure but not something too OTT, id still go with a ccm 404 over a drz though as its just a better all round bike. Check them out, still uses the drz-e engine to but has all round wp suspension and looks like a crf.

ive read the new rules but have a minor understanding so will i be able to jump onto a 250 when i pass? im 19 years old will be 20 in march i passed my bike theory last month and will be doing my full bike test when i get my dt on the road.

Sorry i didnt mean keep the XT for two years, i meant theres no rush in getting something like a wr450f. Id recomend a bigger bike for sure but not something too OTT, id still go with a ccm 404 over a drz though as its just a better all round bike. Check them out, still uses the drz-e engine to but has all round wp suspension and looks like a crf.

ahh i see okay yeah fair enough matey, i think i will go and check them out now.

sounds good to me :)

Only thing i will say about people saying not to go for the bigger bikes is that....they will only go as fast as you let them ;)

but the temptation will be there....who knows just depends on how much of a dick the rider is? lol

thanks for all the help and advice gang

On 1/14/2013 at 12:30 AM, ahaywood93 said:

ive read the new rules but have a minor understanding so will i be able to jump onto a 250 when i pass? im 19 years old will be 20 in march i passed my bike theory last month and will be doing my full bike test when i get my dt on the road.

i would say yes to most 250, just watch that sneaky power to weight ratio, that might do you over on a real light bike, MIGHT

you should be fine though :)

haha two threads cross linked, guess its not just me that's finding it all abit confusing but luckily DirtDT saved the day with his links B)

and superior google skills :)

thanks for that

Yeh the new rules are a right ball ache, I nearly give myself a good hiding yesterday getting stressed out trying to find out what bike I could get!!

I just want something enduro and small ish enough poke for green laining and enough torque to pull my asse up hill @ 70mph with out the sound of hell being sucked though my filter and a screeming banshee in my exhaust ( that's what my dtr sounds like trying to keep a steady 70mph)

We will get there in the end

Ken

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online