Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil in xt350

thumbs
This post is 3992 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Has anyone used the Mobil 1 synthetic motorcycle oil in the xt350? I was wondering how it worked with the clutch? I have used it in my KLR without any problems at all. Anyone have any exp with it? They call it V twin 20/50

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've used it in a KLR but not in the XT. It works fine in the KLR but not sure in the XT. Not sure if there is anything in the XT clutch pack that may react differently than the KLR especially since the KLR is an 07 and the XT is an 89. Your right sounds like it should work but ya never know.

Aye thums " mobil 1 is recomended on the Kawasaki Triples Club , :thumb: must be good ,coz H2"s were notorious for clutch slip,

Well, and old debate! :duel: Everybody has different points of view and experiences... we need a good barbecue to talk about this matter. :icon_biggrin: Imagine, down here in South America this topic will mean at least one pound of meet (each participant) accompanied with red wine... to prepare a good "asado" takes at least two hours including a football match...

Next time try a semi synthetic one API SG, JASO MA, it's the best of two worlds. Never ever an API SJ. The synthetic oil is only for RR's or other high performance engines, it will wearing out the clutch in veteran motorbikes like XT's. We discuss a lot in the argentinian XT forum, Chile, and in the brazilian one also. It's just my experiencie in motorcyles engines air cooled, no oil radiator, dry sump, wet clutch like Suzuki DR350, Honda NX650 Dominator (three of them) and my adorable XT600E, the same type of engine than yours (maybe except the dry sump, not shure). Nothing goes wrong in thousands of miles and many many journeys in different trips.

The brand I use is MOTUL 5100, 15W50 (I use to drive in hot/freezing climates like mountains & Atacama desert)

Once again, thanks to Wordreference.com

Yeah that is what I was kinda thinkin with syn in the ole bikes. The catch here is I would like to find an oil that is readily available throughout the U.S. I am on the road a lot and need to be able to find something easily when needed. I have been using Valvoline motorcycle oil and so far no problems. Really no reason to change but I did read somewhere that it wasn't that good. I am assuming I need motorcycle oil since the same stuff is in the gearbox as the crankcase.

My chilean friends use this:

1500_200_100.jpg

or

gtx_big.png

for Suzukis DR650's, 350's, Hondas XR250R/400R/600R/650L, Kawasakis (all four strokes) and Yammies XT's (all series)

I use MOTUL 5100 is the one I can find everywhere, even in small towns.

The argument is "With mineral oil the layer (maybe is not the correct word in English) is thick than semi synthetic", the same doubt than yours. Probably they are talking about engines nearby to blow out, that's different in our case.

Is the word maybe viscosity? Are you also saying that 10/40 Castrol is ok to use. I am guessing it's the regular motor oil for cars right? I know I don't want friction reducers on the oil because of the wet clutch. With regular motor oil I was concerned with the shearing. I guess you guys haven't found that to be a problem.

If regular motor oil is fine than should I look for the synthetic blend? I also ride in all conditions hot, cold, various altitudes just where ever I am at the time.

The Liqui Moly and Castrol I show you above is only for motorcycles. As I said, API SG, JASO MA, never an API SJ.

Ok thanks. I know we are in different areas but where do you find the Castrol? I'll look a bit today and see what I can find but not sure I have seen the Castrol motor cycle oil.

Ok thanks. I went to the site and found my bike on their list. They suggested the proper oil. I found it at a local chain auto parts store so I can get it anywhere. Has the jsco spec. So I guess I'm good. The only thing is its 10/40 and the xt manual calls for 10/30. Haven't found that in years. Anyway I picked up a couple of quarts of the Castrol Power RS 4t 10/40.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was told NOT to use any kind of synthetic oil in my 86 xt350. Two different yamaha dealership mechanics said the same thing. Systhetic oils will find and seap out the smallest places of your engine. Also it does not last long in older model bikes.

I use Spectro 4 stroke oil. Been using the same oil for 27 years. Never has the oil burned up. Last a long time between oil changes.

Just my two cents.

http://spectro-oils.com/

For some reason, the synthetic oil is 'too slippy', mainly because it's manufactured through chemicals and all sorts of other nonsense, I know the synthetic stuff can - but not always cause clutch slip whereas a semi-synthetic oil wouldn't of. If it's been used without problems before then I shouldn't see why it would but there's always a possibility for anything..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online