will. changing sprockets help?

paul-666
This post is 4122 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Will changing the sprokets help me go up hills better ? My ybr struggles getting up the big hilpl when coming home from work but it is fine on the flat and down hills but will not go over 40 ish on this bank and as its a 60 mph road I look a right div LOL is thee a way to make this improve ? I have spoken to a lad at work about this and he said he changed his on his old ybr , what he didw was add ane extra tooth on the front and what that did was make it faster on the flat but made his fifth gear non existent but that would be no good for me,is there a way to do what I'm looking for ?

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i did what you were planning.

i went up 2 teeth on the front which was great on downhill sections but made 5th non existant.

so i ended running about in 4th usually at high revs which destroyed the point of going up 2 teeth to help drop the revs at full throttle

so ended up putting the standard 16 tooth back on and put up with being sluggish on long climbs

this is on a xvs 125

generally it is ok,, just when you get a long drawn out hill

I share your pain luckily I don't have many large hills , I have considered doing it although my mate has done it and made the same complaints am just gonna have to put up till I get a bigger engined bike

Bigger rear is the same as changing the front to a smaller size you just need to go up by 5 or 6 teeth at a time instead.

I have found that smaller sprockets but keeping the ratio the same or changing it slightly to favour accelleration used to help when i was on the small stuff in the 80's. There is less chain to suck power and the smaller need less power to turn.

May not work so well on the modern stuff but it made a difference on my old 50 and a gp100.

Yeh its tough on small cc bikes, lack of horsepower <_< , Weston beach race " the moto Xer"s up sprockets for the big blast on straights.

but they have 450cc ,and can pull them,

unfortunatly for the 125 4 strokes the lack of guts shows on hills, thats why i got rid of my honda xlr 125 too many hills where i live so i bought the dt even in its restricted state would pull better then the xlr.

restricted 125's are gutless but atleast you havent got one of the cbr125's or like bikes that look fast but have the same hp so you look fast but go slow lol

ken

Try going UP 1 or 2 teeth on the rear sprocket.

Its not much of a jump but might be all you need.

When i was riding my 125 to Yorkshire from ireland, i dropped 1 tooth on the rear, this made a tiny difference to the power of the bike but made a big difference on saving fuel. All i really wanted was not to have the bike reving too high for such a long trip.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online