Help me decide, sell Virago 535 or keep for another year?

EazyDuz
This post is 4029 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Noise if i cut that part off the bracket,it wouldnt sit flush on the other mounting hole unless i twisted the metal somehow, which i thought fuck that, so i sold them as they were mint, made about 15 quid profit. I think they were made that way to encourage you to buy Highway hawk back rest as well (the brackets were HH), bit stupid really.

About putting the tent below the rack, i could but it would be difficult to strap it, and i tried it before and it got in the way of the brake light, plus its a LOT of weight on the rack itself.

Cynic it looks a lot but it really isnt. In the larger hold all it is mostly the tent. The tent is only a 2 man one from Tesco (double skinned) its actually really good but takes up a lot of room, maybe the tent is the main issue? I figured all tenThats are pretty hefty....i like the space of a 2 man, a 1 man wouldnt cut it.

That set up was using crush sacks by the way haha. I think it looks more than it is because the Virago is one of the smallest 500cc+ bikes period. I think the Draggie is the answer, prefereably a Classic because i love the huge front tyre and forks. And the classic fenders on them, as for the Virago i cant see much of a way to improve luggage carrying

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a second... you said you tour 2-up?
I assume the pillion is female?

Have you tried ditching her, or getting her own bike for her?
That'd eliminate most of the luggage woes right off!!

:rofl:

Think you just need to work on the problem. Which isnt the bike.

As far as i can see all you need is 2 lengths of 50x20 timber. Do 50x50 if your not sure on the strength. Make them 20mm shorter than the distance between your bar ends.

Zip tie that to the rack. One front one back.

Doubled the storage. Those 2 bags would sit side by side then. Still behind the sissy bar. Room for fresh.!..... Er another future ms..

Yes but the further out the luggage rests, the more strain its putting on the rack itself, not to mention the weight. Bareing in mind those two bag contain a 4kg tent, sleeping bag, clothes. sanitary stuff and trainers. Making the bike tail heavy isnt a great idea either. Ive yet to see anyone carry a decent amount of luggage on a 535, its a tiny bike.

Are most sleeping bags the size of a very large loaf of bread when packed? Im looking at getting a new tent anyway. Im camping in the Lake District in spring for the weekend, thats a good 350-400 mile round trip for me. I will see how i get on but if its a struggle ill probably sell the bike and hopefully get a Drag by summer.

When i sold my GZ125 i had the Virago within 2 weeks,so fingers crossed the same strike of luck happens, id hate to be bikeless for summer this year.

Oh while on the subject, when viewing a 650 Drag, Classic or Custom, what common problems are there with them which i should check? For example on the 535 it was the reserve switch which was a common fault

Decent 2-man tent, you're looking at about 2' long and 5"dia when properly packed. Weight, maybe 2-3kg. Cost £25.

Sleeping bag, I use my old '58 pattern which is a good 12"dia by maybe 14" long (tenner at army surplus, I expect). You can get nice ones that pack down very small though - Yes, loaf of bread size with a stuff sack. You get what you pay for with these. £60 for the really good tiny one is a solid deal.

I dont understabd the worry of weight. You solo. That in theory at least gives you min 60kg of luggage allowance. Just crank up the shocks and adapt your riding to the difference.

As for it being tricky to load. My TDR takes some beating. Two high level off road exausts. One each side.

Another reason to get the saddlebag supports - More tie-down points!! :D

Cargo nets are OK, but I prefer to bungee big rucksacks down tight (be careful and hold tight while doing so). You end up with a handy backrest for long journeys, too!

From experience what I can say about traveling on a bike is throw out half the stuff you think you need,then re think it.

my list goes like this

1 pair of pants 2 undies 2pr socks 2 t shirts 1 pr sandels 1 sweater 1 shorts 1 towel (small) tooth brush/paste/soap,camera, fork knife,folding cup,folding fishing rod and small bag of hooks,1 can of tire inflator /sealer...all this goes in the tank bag bottom lined with foil for cooking.

Tent ,6x10 tarp, sleeping bag deep fry pan(doubels as a pot for boiling water) 14 ft of rope for drying clothes and hanging the tarp(for a roof if it rains while camping) a rack from a old refrigerator for cooking, a small russack (empty) gets straped to the pillion seat via a spider web style bungie.

When close to the camp I stop and pick up food /beer put it in the rusack and wear it to the camp,the next day it's empty so back it goes under the bungie.When I shower so doo the undies t shirt and socks, if it's more than a week I'll stop at a laundry and wash everything. I don't bother with shavin

Just pack light anything you need can be bought along the way.I dont have bags or a rack never felt the need. I'm off for a 5000+ trip and won't be taking any more that this list

From experience what I can say about traveling on a bike is throw out half the stuff you think you need,then re think it.

my list goes like this

1 pair of pants 2 undies 2pr socks 2 t shirts 1 pr sandels 1 sweater 1 shorts 1 towel (small) tooth brush/paste/soap,camera, fork knife,folding cup,folding fishing rod and small bag of hooks,1 can of tire inflator /sealer...all this goes in the tank bag bottom lined with foil for cooking.

Tent ,6x10 tarp, sleeping bag deep fry pan(doubels as a pot for boiling water) 14 ft of rope for drying clothes and hanging the tarp(for a roof if it rains while camping) a rack from a old refrigerator for cooking, a small russack (empty) gets straped to the pillion seat via a spider web style bungie.

When close to the camp I stop and pick up food /beer put it in the rusack and wear it to the camp,the next day it's empty so back it goes under the bungie.When I shower so doo the undies t shirt and socks, if it's more than a week I'll stop at a laundry and wash everything. I don't bother with shavin

Just pack light anything you need can be bought along the way.I dont have bags or a rack never felt the need. I'm off for a 5000+ trip and won't be taking any more that this list

Easy for you to say, i wouldnt be able to pack half of that on my bike without running out of room.

If someone has advice on where i can get some saddlebag brackets which will actually fit, i'd love to hear it. Failing that ill have to get a new bike.

Im prepared to pay up to £50 for the supports, but cant justify buying a new backrest with a different mounting point just so i can get saddlebag brackets to fit, we are looking at £200+ for the new back rest and supports, may as well put that towards a Drag.

you need to learn how to pack

DSCF1673_zpsd3004798.jpg

this is sadly the last pic taken of my draggie before our accident

in that 1 bag at the back was

two man tent

2 sleeping rolls

2 sleeping bags

missus make up and shit(trust me that was heavy lol)

waterproof trousers

jeans 2 pair

and two t shirts

all we could get in the saddle bags was two leather jackets

the art of camping on a bike is loading the thing look at the space you got left under the rear rack another good size bag will go there

look at your forks empty!!! screaming out for a tent or a bag

if you must have saddle bags and cant get what you want then draw up a design with sizes of waht you want or better still take your bike to a metal worker and get them made to measure(its not as expensive as you might think)

trust me a draggie is not as big as you think when it starts getting loaded

• 1 month later...

Hey guys.

Mini update. Decided to keep the 535 for another year, when i take it out the garage i just think it hasnt been used properly due to last years terrible weather, so this year im going to ride ride ride!

I've ordered some pretty basic textile panniers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261147804046?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

With my measurements ive discovered that i can leave the indicators where they are and these bags wont touch them. They will be seated forward quite a bit and will JUST clear my thigh/leg when im on the bike so as not to get in the way. No worries about them hitting the wheel as they will mainly be resting on the suspension area, and they are rigid.

YES they are textile so look a tad out of place on a cruiser (like leather on a Ninja!) but they are only to be put on when touring so im not too bothered.

Riding to Wales from Leicestershire up the A5 in April for a bit of a road trip. If anyone lives anywhere near that route with a 650 Drag Classic i'd love to see one, still not seen a Classic in person yet! I will be buying one next year though.

Thanks