Help me decide, sell Virago 535 or keep for another year?

EazyDuz
This post is 4055 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, saddle bags are gay, look crap and if mounted too low, they get bunt by the exhaust, best to just wear a ruck sack. If your taking a pillion.............get them to wear the ruck sack. easy to fit and cheap to buy.

Personally, saddle bags are gay, look crap and if mounted too low, they get bunt by the exhaust, best to just wear a ruck sack. If your taking a pillion.............get them to wear the ruck sack. easy to fit and cheap to buy.

Rucksacks look gay, like you cant afford saddlebags, and restrict your movement to the point where you cant even enjoy the ride.

Bitches please, put the handbags down.....

Rucksacks are gay? Tell that to the next soldiers you see, then... :D

Ruckies are good for daily stuff, especially if you ride to work, but saddlebags let you buy a lot more shopping and/or carry a few litres extra fuel for those unplanned countryside ambles.

I have both 'bags on the bike for those large shopping moments and a 65L for the daily bits.

Also, Chainmaille paneling does not look gay, it looks fucking hard and yes I will make you some, for a fee.

Please note: The only things that actually look gay on a Cruiser are tassles, conchos and studs. Avoid these and you're good.

Saddlebags on a Virago, no support bars reqd, each bag has a flap attached, the flaps overlap each other and are laced together. The seat is lifted off, the tied flaps placed over the rear fender, seat refitted, job done. The forward slope of the bags means that the rear springs keep the bags off the tyre. Just shop around

I assumed some common sense would apply, as I made it clear that the springs provide the required support on the photo of the virago, and prevent the bags from contacting the wheel. I'm sure I also pointed out that should there be no support provided by the springs, then you require supports, as indicated on the dragstar photo

Rucksacks look gay, like you cant afford saddlebags, and restrict your movement to the point where you cant even enjoy the ride.

As said it was my personal thought on Saddle bags so i was just giving my 2p on how i get around with carrying my stuff about when on the bike. i use my old Army patrol sack as i can easily get two weeks gear in it plus a bottle of water.

If you want to go a about what looks "gay" again personally Virago's are beyond gay. Look crap, even with saddle bags on or off. But thats just me.

I can afford saddle bags but why the hell would i waste good money on tat when i can buy proper stuff for my bike to actually enjoy riding rather than lugging crap around with me? Ok if i only had a bike to live with with out the use of a cage i can see that you need a type of carrying device, but again i will always use a ruck sack.

But i use my bike for going to work with and for fun. No crap bolted to it, no tat, only the necessary stuff to get it through an MOT

How big is this patrol sack?
Mine was that 165L PLCE thing, which works great for long trips but is fucking HUUUUUUUUGE in daily use when everything you need will fit in 1 or maybe 2 of the little clip-on daysacks (or a '58 Large Pack if you don't mind the rain).

Viggies aren't gay.... Any more than Cruisers generally, anyway. They're designed for women and smaller riders in general.

People *make* them look gay with all the shiny accessories, but that's different and their choice.

If you want to talk gay, how 'bout them colour-coordinated Power Rangers!

>Ok if i only had a bike to live with with out the use of a cage
And therein is the rub!
Saddlebags are for the long touring trips when you don't want a rucksack dragging on you for a few thousand miles and for when you do the weekly shopping.

Use the bike for everything and suddenly you realise just how bloody useful these things are. Not like they affect the performance of a 40HP bike, or anything!
Then again, all my mods have been purely functional additions. Not a single cosmetic consideration.

My Patrol sack is 85L but if you use them snap bags and push all the air out you get loads more in it and all your gear stays dry.

Agreed colour coded power rangers are a wee bit on the puffy side, saying that so are those bank and accountants that trick out there brand new Harley's with matching boots, chaps etc etc.

I do agree that if i where to only have the bike as a daily get about to do the shopping etc that these "saddle bags" are a great thing, i just personally hate the bladdey things and rather burn me nuts than put them on my beloved lol.

EAZYDUZ, take what i say with a pinch of salt, (which you may already do) im just giving my view all be it a very crappy one if you like the practicality of these bags go for them and they are easy to fit to the draggy if your still thinking about one and so are the brackets (just need longer bolts and poss re-location of the blinkers) just a void all tassels and studs :)

Nah, Saddlebags are great - From the back they make the bike look like it's got rocket boosters or missile pods!! :D
On your Bobber they'd look a bit odd, perhaps, but when they fit the rest of the bike, they're brill!

Eazy - Look for luggage that can be removed easily, like the zip-off or clip on type. Not as cheap as the sling-overs but you won't have to take off the pillion pad to remove them and are dead handy when you stop overnight. Especially great if you're stopping at a hotel or like packing indoors.

Noise i need the saddlebags because i like to tour the UK and go on camp outs, a tent and a sleeping bag alone will use up all the space on the rear luggage rack, so i need side panniers.

Like i said i would keep the Virago if i could get saddlebag supports which will bolt on with my current Rentec luggage rack, but none of them do, so i will probably sell the Virago come August and get a Dragstar.

While on the subject, what should i be paying for a Drag 650 Classic, dont care about the age, but mileage less than 20k prefered, and in good nick with minimum pitting, no dents etc?

I would imagine around the £2000 mark.

I got my Draggy for just under £3k its hard to find one with good miles for under £2k but thats not saying they don't pop up now and then

Noise i need the saddlebags because i like to tour the UK and go on camp outs, a tent and a sleeping bag alone will use up all the space on the rear luggage rack, so i need side panniers.

Like i said i would keep the Virago if i could get saddlebag supports which will bolt on with my current Rentec luggage rack, but none of them do, so i will probably sell the Virago come August and get a Dragstar.

While on the subject, what should i be paying for a Drag 650 Classic, dont care about the age, but mileage less than 20k prefered, and in good nick with minimum pitting, no dents etc?

I would imagine around the £2000 mark.

Picked my Dragstar Classic 1998 with 6100 miles on it in August 2011 for £2100 :-) Was well pleased at that price.

Draggie with sub-20K clocked in good nick and all - Plan for £3500 and see what you find. Shop around.

I got mine with just over 17k for £1700, but that was a special moment... and it wasn't in utterly amazing nick, but has lasted a good while. Take especial care to properly seat the sealing ring when changing oil filter, though!

self opinionated twaddle

Is there another kind of 'opinionated' that isn't selfish? And I thought that's what forums are for, anyway?

Don't take it so seriously, dude :D

Like i said i would keep the Virago if i could get saddlebag supports which will bolt on with my current Rentec luggage rack, .

Adding to the opinionated twaddle but.... Well..... Rubbish.

I can pack everything i need for a week away on the luggage rack on my tdr. Paniers are a no no with the exhausts.

I have made an extender out of timber that doubles as a stand pad on naff ground.

I could not carry more if i wanted due to the weight. I even have room for beer.

Cynic, pics of a typical luggage set up would be appreciated.

I start to run out of places to hook on straps, and going 2 up is mission impossible. I think the weight limit on my luggage rack is about 12kg. I have a big holdall which i can squeeze a tent and one single sleeping bag inside, that goes horizontal on the luggage rack = no more room.

On the passenger seat i have another holdall with clothes, contact lens stuff, hygiene stuff, trainers, that uses all the passenger seat room.

I then have a tank bag which carries easy access items, so thats cameras, water, bike lock, etc you get the idea.

What room am i left with? Infact here is my set up when i went camping:

As you can see, little room for anything else, and that was a one night camp trip, riding on my own....

The last pic shows the reason i couldnt fit saddlebags, when i purchases them i assumed they would somehow fit together but they dont. Sold the brackets at a slight profit at least.

644662_10151089259658451_2010664356_n.jp

SV206845.jpg

SV206819.jpg

SV206811.jpg

100_0150.jpg

Just a quick observation, the bag you have on the rack could you not get that between to fender and the under side of the rack? Then you can put the tent on the rack thus freeing up the pillion seat. Just get a rubber mat to put on the fender to protect the paint.

Just a thought? Or could you not place the tent on the front fender with a loose but slightly tight strap round the forks? ive done this with a roll mat but the theory is the same.?

With them brackets, id say cut the sticky out bit off the bracket mount so that it will sit flush with where the bolt goes in then pop a longer bolt in. But again just an idea.

Wow you travel heavy.

Could you not rationalise your kit down a few levels. Using crush sacs. Making items double and so on.

I had a sort out due to work i can now not gaurantee the same truck. I can get everything for 3 to 5 days away save food into 1 rucsac. I ride a dt175 to work.

Spread on the tdr it all fits on the cynic patented lol rac extender.

Oh and the 12kg bit is arse covering by the makers. Load away the handling will stop you overloading it.