My 1992 TZR125 Belgarda DT125R Hybrid custom project

NEV
This post is 3689 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Started on my new project recently, so thought I'd post up in here my progress so far. The idea is to put a 1992 TZR125R 4DL2 Belgarda engine into a DT125R frame, an idea I've had for a while now. I've managed to get hold of a 1992 DTR frame, just need to send it off to the powdercoaters, along with 3spoke TZR wheels and swingarm.

DT124R frame

jregframeaj.jpg

TZR 3 spoke Wheels

3spoketzrwheels.jpg

Managed to get hold of a bottom end TZR125 4DL2 Belgarda engine

img0725yq.jpg

Searched high and low for a TZR125 4DL2 Barrel and Cylinder head, but no joy, so now banging on a 3MB Head and Barrel, which comes a close second best.

After a good clean up and paint job on the engine, and finding a 38mm Keihin carb, the next job was to get the 3MB Cylinder re-sleeved and then re-bored to take a 4mm over sized Wossner DTR piston which will take the Cylinder volume to around 142cc.

Re-sleeved 3MB cylinder

img0827lk.jpg

4mm oversized DT125R Wossner piston

wossner40mma.jpg

Could have gone with a 5mm oversized Wossner piston, but would have had to pin the powervalve fully open, whereas with a 4mm oversize piston I can still use the powervalve servo.

38mm Keihin Carb

img0752yr.jpg

Engine all cleaned up, painted up,and rebuilt with Keihin Carb fitted

tzrbelgarda.jpg

Have fitted a kickstart assembly and rev counter gearing into the engine, bearings and seals are all ok with a visual inspection, fitted new EBC heavy duty clutch plates and springs.

Engine is with Brian Loram Motorcycles at the minute,sorting out the powervalve clearance, and getting the barrel gas flowed and ported, to stage 3 specs, hopefully should have it back any day now.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Looks fab! :thumb:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got the frame, swingarm and wheels back from powdercoating last week, so project is back on track for a bit.

frameandwheelsa.jpg

Not sure about the Grey colour on the wheels, thought it looked a bit darker in the RAL powdercoat code list, may spray them a tad darker. Had a word with a place in Exeter that does the Hydrodipping, it'd look lovely with the wheels Graphite Grey carbon weave dipped, but at £200 plus the already £80 to powdercoat them it's pushing the budget a tad, and I'm having problems sorting out the wheel bearings to take the bigger DT front and rear spindles, so may put that on the back burner until custom bearings are sorted, as I don't fancy a White Graphite Grey Elephant.

Infact I'll put the wheel bearing sizes I need on here, just incase anybody knows where I can purchase them from? Have tried Simply Bearings and another place I forget their name. but no joy.

Front wheel L/H side 15mm x 37mm x 12mm

Front wheel R/H side 15mm x 37mm x 12mm

Rear wheel L/H side 20mm x 42mm x 13mm (DTR rear L/H is 20mm x 42mm x 12mm [6004]) so could use that

Rear wheel R/H side 20mm x 35mm x 11mm

Sorted a few bits out on it today, the looms on it anyway, swingarm bearings arrive Monday, so can get that all put together, and then drop the engine into it.

frame19413a.jpg

frame24413a.jpg

framerear24413a.jpg

Got the swingarm bearings in finally, forgot what a palaver that can be, banged the bearings in the freezer for an hour or two, so as to contract them a tad, 11/16 socket with an M6 penny washer between the socket and bearing, extension bar through the pivot sleeves and a nylon mallet to drive it all home

the red is beautiful. staying tuned to seeing the finished product. :popcorn:

Got around to putting the engine in today, bit of a squeeze but managed to get it in, looking like the air filter is possibly going to be a problem, but will see better when the rear shock goes on. But other than that all bolts up nicely.

img0893an.jpg

img0895agk.jpg

img0894at.jpg

Cheers Ken and Sacha, just waiting on some bits back from powdercoating next, so I can then concentrate on getting the carb set up with the engine, and all running nicely. Then hopefully just sorting it out cosmetically.

What colour for the bodywork......

Looks good,

same as cynic says, what colour for bodywork and the spring ?

Springs being powdercoated red, damper is all cleaned and given a chrome spray over, panels/tank will be a graphite charcoal grey colour, and depending on costs, hydrodipped with a graphite grey carbon weave. But before I get the panels, the next hurdle will be what exhaust to go for, a DEP which is tried and tested on the DTR engines, and very shiney, or try and grab a genuine TZR 4dl exhaust, which was developed for that particular Belgarda, block, there was 3 types of 4dl models, and each model had a different exhaust. one only problem with the TZR exhaust is that its underslung, and will need to modify it for the DTR frame. Regardless of which exhaust I go for, I'll definitely need one to get engine running spot on. Decisions, decisions eh?

Anyroad Pat, hows that wee bike of yours coming on? be ready for Squires? lol.

Anyroad Pat, hows that wee bike of yours coming on? be ready for Squires? lol.

Red spring,,,,, will you hardly be able to see it as same colour as frame?? just me thinking. I like the wheels, frame and engine colours you have chosen :thumb:

Ah yes, mini bike,,,, i could have it finished in a few days if i only had the time to do it. :eusa_whistle:

Not to my taste but then its not my bike. I like the process and the exececution. Looks superb.

What about a custom JL pipe. Highly regarded for tdr/tzr stuff. Certainly get the best from the engine.

Hey no probs Cynic, I appreciate it won't be everyones cup of tea, I'm all out on pushing the boundaries on this build, so many people have said you can't put a TZR engine in a DTR frame, well I'm pretty much there on that one. Turning a 124cc barrel into a 145cc using a 4mm oversize piston is another one that couldn't be done, unless you put on an Athena 150cc cylinder kit at nigh on £450 and even then you need to tickle that up a bit to get it matched up with the bottom end, well that's been done now and at pretty much at half the Athena price. Another boundary I want to push, is when I can post up that it's capable of doing more than the 100mph mark, without Up Yours pissing himsen, lol.

Oh and cheers for pointing towards a JL pipe, I'll have a butchers, in regards to using one of those.

I only ment the colour. Im more of a stealth man myself.

Looks stock but very much isnt, thats me. I totally get the "do it cos they said i cant" line.

I had a v8 auto 1962 land rover. Power steering and range rover axles on leaf springs. Built it myself for competition.

That wasnt possible either. Heh.