xt350 runs like crap

thumbs
This post is 4096 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was having a problem with the xt it was stumbling hard to start and I had to run with the choke on. I changed the intake boots and it seemed to run fine with just a little stumbling when the throttle was in the neutral area, not on not off. The bike has sat for about 2 months. I took it out yesterday and she fired right up. Even with the choke on she really didn't want to take fuel. Once that got worked through she wouldn't run without the choke on full. Also the horn won't work. The throttle responce is jerkey and if I take the choke off she will stall. I havnt delved into it as of yet but I am thinking low battery, maybe a mouse nest in the air cleaner or the boots came loose.

Any ideas???

thanks for the help

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Aye thumbs, the pilot jet will be blocked,,, the first 1/8th of throttle is pilot, and as venturi [ air speed thru carb] increases, this sucks fuel thru main jet, That why with choke off, she will die, :eusa_snooty:

Thanks guys. I plan to change the fuel today. How much of a job is it to clean out the main jet? I am on the road camping so I have some tools but limited. Also not the best working conditions, sand and poor work space. If its a matter of taking off a cover on the card to get to the jet that would be fine but a major digging may be a problem. Heck the thing is an 89 and never had the carb apart.

thanks guys

You could try picking up a can of spray can of carb cleaner,drain the carb and fill with cleaner through the fuel inlet let it sit over night and drain it the next morning and with the drain open flush it through with more spray,this might sofen up the crap and let it get sucked through.

If you can rotate the carb enough installed and get the 4 screws loose that hold the carb bowl on then just pull the bowl off and clean er up.the 4 screws will be the battel as they are made of butter so make sure you screw driver fits realy well

You could try picking up a can of spray can of carb cleaner,drain the carb and fill with cleaner through the fuel inlet let it sit over night and drain it the next morning and with the drain open flush it through with more spray,this might sofen up the crap and let it get sucked through.

If you can rotate the carb enough installed and get the 4 screws loose that hold the carb bowl on then just pull the bowl off and clean er up.the 4 screws will be the battel as they are made of butter so make sure you screw driver fits realy well

It really won't be to much of a problem to get the carb loose,just the two clamps and pull out the air intakes. I should probably take the jet out and clean it. Like I said never cleaned it. Now the only jet that will need cleaning is the main jet on the primary side right?

Once I get a bit of throttle on she runs like a banchi. It just won't take throttle from the neutral position or with the choke off. She pops and hacks and has a terrible time.

Clean the pilot jet as well it's the small one off to the side set in deep,thats the one responsable for low speed/light throttle,which sounds more like your problem

.Also when puting in the bowl screws in don't over tighten or you will have a heck of a time next time you need to take them out

i can vouch for this entirely as my RXS is constantly dragging crap from the tank and has the exact symptoms as yours.. on mine i simply remove fuel pipe from tap remembering to turn fuel off first of course, unscrew carb top and remove the cable with slider etc.. then slacken off the 2 clamps and rotate the carb in the rubbers.. float bowl screws out and using a can of carb cleaner or if i dont have any i unscrew the pilot and blow it through as well as the main jet..

once down and back together its 100%

Hey thanks again guys.

I didn't get a chance to take it apart today. We are on the road camping and it rained most of the day so really no where to work. Tomorrow sounds like a better day. I did get a can of 3m carb cleaner this afternoon, That stuff is the best, it works great. Anyway the plan is to get it goin tomorrow. Like I said after I get her off of idle and twist the grip she pulls though all 6 hard. I think I'll put a filter in the line this time. Any more tricks or suggestions,I'm listening.

Hey why am I not getting notification when you guys reply to my post? It says at the top of the page unfollow this topic. That tells me I am following this with notifications but I havn't gotten one yet.

thanks

I never use the notifications myself. Dont you get email notification? I expected thats how it would work

Well now I do. I went up to options and went down the list. I thought it would be automatic as with other lists if you say follow or subscribe. Anyway yours is the first one I was notified with to my email after I set the options. I "think" I have it set right now.

Ok not done yet but I got the bowel off and it is clean. I took the main jet out and it's clean and all the little holes on the tube are clean where the needle goes into. I have not gotten the pilot out yet, My screw drivers are to big to get into the hole. Of course I tore the connecting tube from the primary to the secondary but that's no be deal. I'm hoping it's the pilot jet. Only one screw on the bowel was a little stiff but really not a problem. Just took just as much torch as I wanted to give it before trying something else but she broke free.

Ok done but not good. The pilot was blocked so I cleaned it out. Put it all back together and took it out. She has a very rough idle. I have it at about 2k and she will idle there for about three or four seconds then miss and drop to 1500 then build up to maybe 2300 and settle down to 2000, it's not consistent she may make it a little longer or shorter but the idle is real bad. Now the good news is she will run without the choke. Even at low rpm cruising she will jerk and miss. The other good thing is she will pull right off of idle. She would stumble and stammer before until the rpm got up a bit.

Any ideas????????????

Yep everything I could get to from the bowel I sprayed. The bowel was actually very clean. Everything looked good. I put on a new fuel line with a filter and a new cross over line from the primary to the secondary. She just won't idle properly and she still stumbles at low rpm in the neutral throttle position.

I think the first thing I will do is run a guitar string though both jets tomorrow. There has to be something in there. I didn't see anything and the the carb cleaner went through pretty well but it's worth another look see.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online